PDA

View Full Version : Really Lowe

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
There is an article that I found through CNNSI rumors, it is from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07082007/sports/really_lowe_sports_larry_brooks.htm

July 8, 2007 -- KEVIN Lowe woke up from his crying jag, stamped his feet, spit out his Binky, then revealed himself to be a hypocrite in explaining that the $50 million Group II offer sheet the Oilers extended to Buffalo winger Thomas Vanek was "about winning."

"It's a business," Lowe announced Friday. "Take the personal out of it."

Lowe, who once held out as an Oilers player in order to force a trade to the Rangers and thus enrich his bank account only to subsequently deride Edmonton players who sought fair-market value for themselves after he became GM, is one of the least genuine suits in the game. That's saying something.

Here's the thing. If Lowe truly was interested in winning and was willing to take the personal out of it in order to achieve that objective, the GM would have gone straight after Henrik Lundqvist with a Group II offer sheet of $9 million per that would have forced the Rangers to dismantle their projected roster in order to match.

Lundqvist was the singular franchise player on the Group II market as of Friday, and the Rangers already were facing salary-cap-squeeze restrictions that have prevented them from giving the goaltender a long-term deal even at $5 million per season. Had Lowe - whose team is questionable in nets - gone after Lundqvist at $9 million, the Rangers would not have been able to sign Brendan Shanahan. They might have found themselves forced to walk away from Sean Avery's salary arbitration. They might have been required to move Petr Prucha at $1.6 million.

But Lowe didn't go after the best player on the market and he didn't go after the most cap-vulnerable franchise in the NHL. He didn't do that because of his longtime friendship with Glen Sather, that's why he didn't do it, and everyone knows it. His decision to attempt to raid Buffalo for a winger rather than the Rangers for a franchise goaltender had nothing to do with winning and nothing to do with business and everything to do with personal.

Now, this smart businessman whose ownership for years has claimed to carry the banner for small-market franchises, has established a $7 million salary-arbitration comparable for a 23-year-old winger with 68 goals in his first two NHL seasons.

YardRat
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Lowe is cry-baby #1. Darcy is #2. And they're both ******s.

They should lump Buffalo and Edmonton into a division with Philly and Ottawa for teams with special needs. They could ride the short bus to away games.

Ebenezer
07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I am surprised that NOBODY has made a run for Lundquist...tell me there is no collusion there...The NHL wants a winner in NY.

don137
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I always liked Edmonton until the crap Lowe pulled. He truly hurt the game of hockey and the crazy contract for Vanek. Fans now will have to pony up and pay larger ticket prices next year as a result. This will only help large market teams because they won't listen to small market teams complaining about salaries when Edmonton is offering these crazy contracts so why can't they do it?
This off season could not of gone much worse for Sabres fans.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I am surprised that NOBODY has made a run for Lundquist...tell me there is no collusion there...The NHL wants a winner in NY.

They can't now, he filed for arbitration, but you make an interesting point for sure.

Michael82
07-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Interesting thought. I was surprised that no one tried to pry him away too. The Rangers are almost in cap hell and if someone wanted to get a damn good goalie, or force the Rangers to cut players....give the Vanek type contract to Lundqvist and watch the fireworks fly!

SabreEleven
07-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Can there be another lockout before 2010? I bet there could.

Meathead
07-09-2007, 12:29 AM
and remember darcy has told lowe point blank that any offer would be matched so it was a waste of time

it was a predatory move that was all downside for both teams. it was a stupid low down **** ass move

SabreEleven
07-09-2007, 08:17 AM
and remember darcy has told lowe point blank that any offer would be matched so it was a waste of time

But why would Darcy make this statement? They showed thier hand too early...If you are going to match, let's see how much of YOUR cap room you are willing to eat up? What is the purpose of Darcy opening up his mouth?

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I hope Darcy didn't sign the contract yet. If I were him I would wait until the last possible minute, unless he uses the same fax machine, and force Lowe to wait until that time in order to go after another RFA.