PDA

View Full Version : Regier really makes me scratch my head.

patmoran2006
07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
In some regards, Regier is soooooooooooooooooooooooo good for this team. I cannot deny the ability he has to find talent.

He built this team on the strength of two of the best trades in the history of this franchise. Stealing Briere and Drury was remarkable and it led to back-to-back championship runs.

He's drafted brilliantly in all areas of the draft- with guys like Miller, Pomminville, Vanek, Roy, Gaustad, Tallinder, etc.

Last year they lose in 7 to Carolina in the Conference Finals for one reason and one reason only; too many injuries to overcome. Even with all the injuries, if McKee doesnt get a staph infection before game seven we beat Carolina and probably win the Cup. This year even though we lost to Ottawa, we were as good as any team in the NHL from top to bottom.

Then on the other end, he's the single worst I've ever seen in my life when it comes to contract negotiations and envisioning the market. He can say whatever he wants, but he was obvoiusly clueless to what the market was going to be once Drury and Briere became UFA's. Having seen what teams are paying now, its a sin that he didnt get the Briere and Drury deals done a long time ago, and that OBVIOUSLY stems from being clueless as to what the market brings. He could've had our two best back at BELOW market value locked up long term.

He's also greatly hurt the rep of the organization by his dealings. McKee and especially Greer are two prime examples.

Why don't the Sabres a hire a financial/cap concious guy for STRICTLY contract negotiations like the Bills do? Marv Levy will be the first to tell you he's clueless to the market and the salary cap.. That's why Jim Overdorf handles all contract talks. Levy recognizes the talent and right fit for the team, and Overdorf's responsiblity is to get the deal done.. Nothing more, nothing less.

Few guys in the league have a better eye for talent than Regier, obviously.. But few, if any **** it up when it comes contract time more than Regier. . Maybe they should hire someone else who's job is to get the contracts done.

THATHURMANATOR
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
It couldn't hurt to at least have an advisor.

BlackMetalNinja
07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I think that would be quite advantageous in the Sabres situation as well...

Dr. Lecter
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Sadly, I think they do have that guy and his name is Larry Quinn.

Dr. Lecter
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Although I am shocked and stunned that Pat somewhat, kinda, sorta gave the Bills a compliment.

patmoran2006
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
My only beef with the Bills is with Ralph Wilson.

patmoran2006
07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Well if his resonsibility is recognizing the market and getting deals done beneficial to the sabres, then its definitely time to replace him.... again

Michael82
07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I think you are right and that explains why they had all those blunders. If he is the one, it's time for him to get the **** out of Buffalo again! :mad:

mchurchfie
07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Quinn has been behind most of the Sabres blunders. Why he still has a job with the Sabres much less the NHL confounds me. For Golisano to hire him, retain him, and let all of these screwups go on tells me he is a lot cheaper than we realized.

Dr. Lecter
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
My only beef with the Bills is with Ralph Wilson.

Dude, do you really want one of us to find one of the 25,198 things you have criticized this off season? :D

Meathead
07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
i say just before facy starts we fit quinns balls with a bear trap and if he ***ks up another signing we the fans get to push the button

hoos wit me

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you are right and that explains why they had all those blunders. If he is the one, it's time for him to get the **** out of Buffalo again! :mad:

EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT
Owner B. Thomas Golisano
Managing Partner Larry Quinn

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
and Pat Moran they do have someone who keeps track of the salary cap

FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
Director of Finance and Administration Chuck LaMattina
Accounting Manager Christine Ivansitz
Payroll/Human Resource Mananger Birgid Haensel
Accounts Payable Clerk Kim Binkley

camelcowboy
07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
and Pat Moran they do have someone who keeps track of the salary cap

FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
Director of Finance and Administration Chuck LaMattina
Accounting Manager Christine Ivansitz
Payroll/Human Resource Mananger Birgid Haensel
Accounts Payable Clerk Kim Binkley I doubt that any of these except for the director of finance "big maybe" have anything to do with managing the cap. Sabres are a buisness most of these positions seem to handle the logistics of the operation.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Quinn has been behind most of the Sabres blunders. Why he still has a job with the Sabres much less the NHL confounds me. For Golisano to hire him, retain him, and let all of these screwups go on tells me he is a lot cheaper than we realized.

Because Quinn was the one that told Golisano that he should buy the Sabres and that was in his group to buy the team. Golisano is a businessman he knows nothing about hockey Quinn does and Quinn isn't leaving anytime soon. The only reason why Quinn was fired the first time was because the Rigas family had just bought the team from the late Seymour Knox III and John
Rigas wanted his sons to run the Sabres and they did right into bankruptcy.

SabreEleven
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
i say just before facy starts we fit quinns balls with a bear trap and if he ***ks up another signing we the fans get to push the button

hoos wit me

What?

LABillsFan
07-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Look, with Lowe going after Vanek and Vaneks agent saying if it wasn't Lowe there would have been another, Quinn and Regier now know that no player is safe, they will have to, I repeat HAVE TO, be committed to signing their core players for longer terms even if it means an occasional detour from not doing it during the season or risk losing them to these kinds of offers.