• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Excellent "other side of the fence" story on Sabres

The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.

The most dramatic choices of this upside-down theory are the Nashville Predators and Buffalo Sabres. I choose to pick the Sabres as this year’s Ottawa Senators over the Preds because that team’s philosophies have been mitigated by the ownership questions facing that franchise.

The Sabres lose Daniel Briere and Chris Drury -- that’s 32 and 37 goals and 95 and 69 points respectively. It’s also the two co-captains of the Sabres.
    That’s a lot.

But the Sabres still have Darcy Regier as GM and Lindy Ruff as coach, plus a pretty good system that helped Buffalo earn the best record in the Eastern Conference and second-best overall behind Detroit.

Ryan Miller is getting better and more experienced in goal, Teppo Numminen was re-signed and joins with a young guard of leaders. Strength up the middle? Without Briere and Drury a lot of pressure is going to be on Tim Connolly, Derek Roy, Paul Gaustad and likely Clarke MacArthur to pick up the slack like Wade Redden, Anton Volchenkov, Chris Phillips and Andrej Meszaros did on defense in place of Chara in Ottawa last season.

With Ryan Miller's continued development, the Buffalo Sabres should be solid in nets for years to come.

The Buffalo story has life now following what was a miserable week for Sabres’ fans after Briere and Drury vanished from the roster, when Regier stepped up and prevented another defection -- after the Edmonton Oilers signed 43-goal scorer Thomas Vanek to a free-agent offer sheet worth $50 million over seven years. Regier and the Sabres said; "Enough’s enough" and matched the offer sheet to retain Vanek.

Vanek, who led the Sabres with 43 goals and added 41 assists to finish second in scoring on the team to Briere, made just $942,400 in his sophomore NHL season. It was a season in which Vanek also led the NHL with a plus-47.
    The former first-round draft choice sat by his computer in Minneapolis home listening to see what the Sabres' response would be and he said he was thrilled to hear Darcy Regier announce that the team would match the offer sheet.

"I started to cry," said Vanek. "People don’t know how much of yourself you’ve invested in a team, a city. You know the other players, the coaches, the management. It’s a comfort zone that helps you play with confidence. I’ve got a chance to be one of the leaders ... "

What was left unsaid is a young player’s dream of putting bigger footprints and fingerprints on what the Sabres have build over the past couple seasons.
    "I want to come in and be a complete player," Vanek said.

Vanek and youngsters Jason Pominville, Roy, Maxim Afinogenov, Brian Campbell, Ales Kotalik and Drew Stafford watched the Sabres overcome adversity this past season with injuries to Gaustad, Afinogenov and others and still post such a great record.

"We were never going to not match an offer for Thomas Vanek," Regier said. "He’s part of the future of our franchise."

Like Bryan Murray said; "There’s a belief in what they’re doing. There’s a belief in the team’s philosophy on building through the draft and developing players. And there’s a belief in the system you play on the ice."

The Buffalo Sabres will miss Briere and Drury, but there’s a support system in Buffalo that could very well make the Sabres even stronger when next year’s playoffs roll around.

Like I said, sometimes you have to take the popular story -- not follow all of the dollars and nonsense -- and just turn that story upside down and you find a franchise that is strong from top to bottom and believes in sticking to its philosophies on how to build a winner.

Stay tuned.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Excellent "other side of the fence" story on Sabres

Um, I don't know exactly how these things work, but shouldn't the Sabres' FO call Vanek or his agent to personally tell them they are matching the offer rather than make Vanek sit by his computer streaming audio from Buffalo radio stations?

I have a feeling that this is the kind of **** that resulted in the Sabres last in that poll of where players wanted to play.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      But the Sabres still have Darcy Regier as GM and Lindy Ruff as coach, plus a pretty good system that helped Buffalo earn the best record in the Eastern Conference and second-best overall behind Detroit.
      What?

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
        What?
        I noticed that too.

I didn't write the story.

That mistake aside, its still a good point. I dont totally agree with it, I think Drury can't be replaced on this team.. Just found a story to share that wasn't bashing of the Sabres for once (not that the bashing isnt deserved)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

This story ALMOST gives me hope for the season.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

I think it's a similar situation to the Bills with Fletcher and Spikes, although Drury and Briere played at a much higher level than the LBs.

I'm not sure if it will be the huge loss of skill, but more of the intangibles and leadership qualities that each player has. Hopefully, someone will step up and provde the spark . . . for both teams.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
              I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
              • May 2005

This story basically sums up how I'm trying to look at things at this point. The one big hitch is Drury... as said a million times already, he brought so many intangibles and leadership to this team that I just don't think it can be replaced immediately. Others must step up, but that's a lot of stepping up that needs to be done in this case.

And I too, was unaware that they awared the President's Trophy to the 2nd best record in the NHL now?

Comment

• G Wolly
                • Mar 2004

Fire Darcy

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
                  I think it's a similar situation to the Bills with Fletcher and Spikes, although Drury and Briere played at a much higher level than the LBs.

I'm not sure if it will be the huge loss of skill, but more of the intangibles and leadership qualities that each player has. Hopefully, someone will step up and provde the spark . . . for both teams.
                  the key difference is that the teams are in completely different states. As much as I despise the fact that it's going to lead to losses this season, the Bills have good reason to make changes and try to get younger. What they've been doing hasn't been working so they need some kind of change.

The Sabres, however, were 7 wins from the Cup this year and 5 wins from the Cup last year. They were on the brink. They need tweaks- not wholesale changes. But we got wholesale changes.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    Um, I don't know exactly how these things work, but shouldn't the Sabres' FO call Vanek or his agent to personally tell them they are matching the offer rather than make Vanek sit by his computer streaming audio from Buffalo radio stations?

I have a feeling that this is the kind of **** that resulted in the Sabres last in that poll of where players wanted to play.
                    Good post, I was thinking the same thing. How can you not call the guy and let him know that you are matching? Especially when you are giving him that much damn money!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

You guys are nit picking. Who cares?

Comment

Working...
                      X