Clear All
  • Stoneludlow
    aka: STONEHENGE
    • May 2005

Who Starts @ Middle LB?

Found this in my inbox as part of the Daily Bills Buzz:

#13: Who Starts At Middle Linebacker?
    by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 7/9/2007 2:11 PM ET

As training camp fast approaches Buffalobills.com prepares you by trying to answer the top 20 questions facing the Bills in 2007. Monday through Friday until the day before training camp, Buffalobills.com will present each of the key issues facing the team in an effort to have you the fan primed for all the action at St. John Fisher. Don't stray far from Buffalobills.com!
    Bills owner Ralph Wilson made it pretty clear where things stood with respect to the middle linebacker position after the club moved up in round two of the 2007 NFL draft to grab linebacker Paul Posluszny.
    "We feel they're going to come in and start right away for the team," said Wilson back in late April at a press conference introducing Posluszny and top pick Marshawn Lynch. "They will fill a big gap for us."
    But by no means is Posluszny going to be handed a job, and that was evident in the spring camps. Second-year linebacker John DiGiorgio assumed the starting middle linebacker position and never relinquished it over the month of practice sessions in May and June. Posluszny worked with the second team in the middle.
    DiGiorgio, a former rookie free agent, made the 53-man roster last season due to his strong special teams contributions and speed, a major asset in Buffalo's defensive scheme.
    The Saginaw Valley State product let his actions speak for themselves in the spring as he led all linebackers in interceptions with two and was efficient in getting his defensive teammates aligned with consistent pre-snap recognition.
    And he has a fan in Bills head coach Dick Jauron.
    "John is just a football player," said Jauron. "He can really run and is a heady player."
    DiGiorgio has also earned the respect of the linebacking corps leader with his play throughout the spring.
    "Speed kills and that's the type of linebackers they're always looking for here," said Angelo Crowell. "They want almost defensive back style linebackers here that can run and hit and just play the game, and J.D. is a linebacker that can run."
    By no means does that mean that Posluszny lacks speed, but DiGiorgio does appear to be at least a faster linebacker which may partly be due to the fact that he carries almost 10 fewer pounds (229) than Posluszny (238).
    Where DiGiorgio clearly has an advantage over Posluszny is with knowledge of the system having spent a full year engrossed in it.
    "Seeing everything the second time he's bound to be a little sharper," said Crowell of DiGiorgio. "But Poz is coming along well. He's a great athlete. As long as they both study and develop their game I think both will do well for us."
    Linebackers coach Matt Sheldon assures that although Posluszny wasn't perfect with his calls through the springs camps, the rookie linebacker has shown good retention for what was installed in May and June and has improved his recognition time and execution as it applies to Buffalo's defensive system.
    "He's able to pick the stuff up fairly quickly which is something that will be a good advantage for him and for us," said Sheldon. "We've just got to keep the pressure on and teach to the brightest guy in the room and have that be the rate of how we're going to do our teaching."
    "He has the ability to take his game to the next level," said Crowell of Posluszny. "He just needs more mental preparation so he's sharper every day. He has the physical attributes or he wouldn't be here. Learning the defense is his biggest hurdle right now. He needs to get to the point where he can just go out and play. He's going to make some mistakes and there are going to be growing pains, but he's going to be a heck of a player once he gets the mental aspect of the game down."
    Posluszny admitted that there were times in the spring where it took him an extra second to recognize a formation before making the proper call so his teammates could get lined up, but he felt better and better about his game with each passing day.
    "There's so much information to pick up and process and then act, so it's a difficult process, especially for a rookie," he said. "I'm trying to learn everything and each day I got a little bit better at it. I'm definitely feeling more comfortable with it now."
    With respect to the physical side of the game both Posluszny and DiGiorgio are known as solid tacklers, so when the pads go on in training camp it will only add another dimension to the competition.
    "They're going to compete and it's going to be a battle and you've got to step up your game," said Crowell. "That's the thing about competition, it makes everyone better. We're a family in the linebackers room, but no one is handed a job."
    And though Posluszny's pedigree makes him the favorite to land the starting role, he more than anyone else knows he's got to fight for it.
    "I know that nothing is going to be given, and I'm going to have to earn it through hard work in practice," said Posluszny. "But I'm definitely looking forward to it."
    Buffalo's coaching staff doesn't reward pedigree, they reward results. That's why Crowell feels landing the middle linebacker job won't be a cake walk for anyone.
    "With that battle right there with Poz and J.D. they're both young players," said Crowell. "It's going to come down to the guy that can go out there and run the defense, take command of the defense and make plays."

In my Opinion if the Bills play a 3-4 D why not start both as inside LB's
    This has been a "View From the 'STONEHENGE'"

• SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Who Starts @ Middle LB?

Little slow on the upchuck....

Bills owner Ralph Wilson made it pretty clear where things stood with respect to the middle linebacker position after the club moved up in round two of the 2007 NFL draft to grab linebacker Paul Posluszny. "We feel they're going to come in and start right away for the team," said Wilson back in late April at a

Comment

Working...
    X