View Full Version : Sabres to Host NHL's Ice Bowl?

Ebenezer
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
According to WGR-550 the Sabres are one of a couple of finalists to play an outdoor game this season possibly on Jan. 1. On of the others is Detroit. Pittsburgh has agreed to be the away team.

That would be insane!!

blackonyx89
07-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Buffalo is a great sports town,and this is the perfect place to have the ice bowl in the frozen tundra of the RALPH!!! Let's pray this happens!:grovel:

NHL Sources: Game At The Ralph?

Nick Mendola - Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:55 AM
(WGR 550) - Multiple NHL sources have told WGR that the Sabres are in line for a potential New Year's Day game at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Another source, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Penguins have agreed to be the visiting team for such a contest, with Buffalo and Detroit as possible homes. It's also reporting that NBC is tentatively calling the event, "The Ice Bowl."

Michael82
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
That would be ****ing AWESOME!!! :drool:

RockStar36
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
If Buffalo got the game it would be amazing, however I feel that Buffalo/Toronto would be the best match up for such a game.

blackonyx89
07-10-2007, 08:22 AM
The Hockey GOD have smiled upon us!

jamze132
07-10-2007, 08:33 AM
NBC will probably have the game in Detroit since it will probably get more viewers. The only reason they would give it to us is if they feel bad for us losing our FAs.

LtFinFan66
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Mystery, Alaska anyone

blackonyx89
07-10-2007, 08:43 AM
According to WGR-550 the Sabres are one of a couple of finalists to play an outdoor game this season possibly on Jan. 1. On of the others is Detroit. Pittsburgh has agreed to be the away team.

That would be insane!!

I noticed Ebeneezer you merged my Topic of The "Sabres to Host the Ice Bowl" with your thread. It's all good,and it's a great story!

:balloons:

Bill Brasky
07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Buffalo is a great sports town,and this is the perfect place to have the ice bowl in the frozen tundra of the RALPH!!! Let's pray this happens!:grovel:

(WGR 550) - Multiple NHL sources have told WGR that the Sabres are in line for a potential New Year's Day game at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Another source, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Penguins have agreed to be the visiting team for such a contest, with Buffalo and Detroit as possible homes. It's also reporting that NBC is tentatively calling the event, "The Ice Bowl."
wow, i mentioned a while ago (as have others) that a game at the ralph would be sick!
too bad it won't be against the leafs, it would be insane!

Michael82
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I noticed Ebeneezer you merged my Topic of The "Sabres to Host the Ice Bowl" with your thread. It's all good,and it's a great story!

:balloons:
I did it and kept your title. :up:

Michael82
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
NBC will probably have the game in Detroit since it will probably get more viewers. The only reason they would give it to us is if they feel bad for us losing our FAs.
what a load of crap! Why the hell would the ****ing Red Wings get more viewers? no one gives a crap about that team anymore. :ill:

Bill Brasky
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
they couldn't even sell out their playoff games...

Michael82
07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
they couldn't even sell out their playoff games...
EXACTLY! **** THE RED WINGS! :mad:

BlackMetalNinja
07-10-2007, 10:40 AM

I'm pretty sure nobody other than Buffalo fans feels bad about us losing our FAs...

SabreEleven
07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Ding Ding...we have a winner, Johnny.

SabreEleven
07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
The Hockey GOD have smiled upon us!

How? Just because we are a "finalist"...that just means we'll be the first loser....I'll bet anybody 1000zb's that we won't get picked...

Philagape
07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
What outdoor stadium would Detroit use?

Mitchy moo
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty sure nobody other than Buffalo fans feels bad about us losing our FAs...

We lost 2 greedy people that went to inferior teams, they will learn what gave them career seasons is the people around them.

BlackMetalNinja
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
We lost 2 greedy people that went to inferior teams, they will learn what gave them career seasons is the people around them.

Way to stay on topic... go cry about it somewhere else already.

BlackMetalNinja
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Comerica Park or Tiger Stadium... but I wouldn't think a baseball venue would give the great site lines for hockey...

Dr. Lecter
07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, the victimization and whining will have to stop. IT looks like Buffalo is the winner.

A source close to the situation tells 2 On Your Side that the Sabres will host an outdoor game in Buffalo next season.

Previous reports have only mentioned Buffalo as a finalists for the host city.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49444

SabreEleven
07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Didn't they do that college game outdoors a couple years ago?

Michael82
07-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Well, the victimization and whining will have to stop. IT looks like Buffalo is the winner.

A source close to the situation tells 2 On Your Side that the Sabres will host an outdoor game in Buffalo next season.

Previous reports have only mentioned Buffalo as a finalists for the host city.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49444
Oh man! That is ****ing sweet! :drool:

I'm just shocked that it isn't against the Maple Leafs though. That would jam Ralph Wilson stadium so much and would be an awesome game to go to and have tickets for. :$:

blackonyx89
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Buffalo rivals Detroit,Toronto,and Montreal as far as rabid fan support. It would be smart of the NHL to pick Buffalo because the Sabres are coming off a fantastic season and it's in a region where you know it's going to cold in January,no doubt! You want us in that ICE BOWL,you need us in that in that ICE BOWL!!! (paraphrasing Jack Nicholson's speech from A Few Good Men).

:rockout:

Philagape
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I am so there

Philagape
07-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Michigan played at Michigan State in 2001 ... that was in Lansing, not near Detroit

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper851/stills/3cb2ff0333cb8-12-1.jpg

Philagape
07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Comerica Park or Tiger Stadium... but I wouldn't think a baseball venue would give the great site lines for hockey...

Exactly, why I wondered

generalmills
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Question: What if the Bills were to make the playoffs? There could possibly be a football game at the stadium as early as the Saturday of that week. I have not done any research as to how long the project takes to rip down (in the past) but is this not something that could "poo-poo" that planing? Im sure that Ralph is not willing to assume that his team will not make the playoffs.

SabreEleven
07-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Question: What if the Bills were to make the playoffs? There could possibly be a football game at the stadium as early as the Saturday of that week. I have not done any research as to how long the project takes to rip down (in the past) but is this not something that could "poo-poo" that planing? Im sure that Ralph is not willing to assume that his team will not make the playoffs.

I was thinking about this. The 1st of January is on a Tuesday....They play at the Eagles on the Sunday before and that would give them over 3 days to pull down the rink for a Saturday game....That should be do able.

User Manuel
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM

I am sure enough $$$ would make Ralph willing to do it 3 hours before kickoff if need be.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-10-2007, 03:16 PM

:shakeno: it won't be at the Ralph, If you think Ralph Wilson will allow this to happen your :crazy: Ralph Wilson will never allow this to happen he doesn't even like H.S. football teams playing playoff games there. Look for it to be at Dunn Tire Park home of the Buffalo Bisons this would make more sense since Dunn Tire Park is on Exchange St. right down the street from HSBC Arena. or One M&T Plaza they have an ice rink there and they can bring in bleachers like U.B. did when they moved to Div. 1 why travel all that way to OP when you have Dunn Tire park right down the street from HSBC Arena :question: or here's my :idea: when they rip down the Aud they leave where the rink used to be and leave some of the original seats like they did at the rockpile.

Meathead
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
one league i used to be in we had outside games every once in a while. the rink had a cover but it was otherwise open. it was awesome! sometimes when it snowed youd get a few flakes flying around on the ice and it felt like i was a kid again playing pond hockey. i loved it

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Montreal was in Edmonton like 3 or 4 years ago. It was sweet!!! This is not the first outdoor game or anything.

Earthquake Enyart
07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Montreal was in Edmonton like 3 or 4 years ago. It was sweet!!! This is not the first outdoor game or anything.
That was pretty cool.

chernobylwraiths
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM

:rofl:

Philagape
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
This would be a much better game than Edmonton-Montreal :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PSgvJdzZw8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PSgvJdzZw8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LuMehv_CnU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LuMehv_CnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvXcWCuKmV4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvXcWCuKmV4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

chernobylwraiths
07-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Michigan played at Michigan State in 2001 ... that was in Lansing, not near Detroit

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper851/stills/3cb2ff0333cb8-12-1.jpg

And Ryan Miller was in goal!