• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Spin captains

This is pretty much exactly what I said as well. Management is partially to blame for a obviously bad situation but they are realistically not the people who accepted contracts elsewhere nor even offered a chance to match. Did Drury come running back with contract in hand and ask for a match?? Vanek just cried when he got his offer and never though twice about leaving Buffalo. Briere had his house up for sale long before it came to this so he was planning on leaving no matter what. Management deserves more credit for everything they have done as well as Tom G., 4 years ago we we're lost, BK with an empty stadium. Now we are mentioned as SC contender's, playoff bound, stadium sold out and create a better downtown environment. Appreciate everything you have now, while you have it.

The Sabres management has deservedly received plenty of criticism for their mishandling of the situations both with Chris Drury and Daniel Briere. But let's be realistic, neither player is a saint in all this. We should realize they are not much different than most athletes of this generation, and their departing spin needs to be put in perspective.

I know sports is not the real world, but give me a break. In everyone else's world, management does not run to you with a contract. When you take the emotion out of it, the truth is that Drury did not want to play in Buffalo. If he wanted to stay and truly loved Buffalo, he would be like any other employee in America, and dealt with his difficult management. By all accounts they were willing to match what the Rangers offered.

Let's put Drury in his proper place in Buffalo Sports history. He was a great leader, and part of turning a dysfunctional franchise into a Stanley Cup contender. But, he's just like most athletes these days. He is a mercenary who spent his time here to build his wealth, so one day he can retire to his mansion in California. I doubt he'll be back to do work at Children's hospital like Pat LaFontaine. He certainly won't live here in the off-season and do community work like Rob Ray. Let's thank him for his time and move on. Chris Drury wanted to be a New York Ranger, playing for the team he rooted for as a kid, and that's the bottom line. Drury called out his teammates for not paying the price in the playoffs, now he gets to play with Mr. Softy Jaromir Jagr.

As for Daniel Briere, his situation is much easier to explain. One of the reason the Sabres could not sign him for five years and 25 million last summer is that they were trying to squeeze all their salaries under the salary cap, including his best friend J.P. Dumont. Let's not forget ; his unwillingness last summer to take less than his market value, made it impossible for the Sabres to keep his best friend. After Briere's 5 million dollar award in arbitration, they had to turn down Dumont's arbitration award. Many of Briere's teammates avoided arbitration, by working out deals for far less than their market value. Had the Captain not gone to arbitration last season, like most of his teammates, they would have had enough room to keep his buddy, and been an even better team.

• chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: Spin captains

[QUOTE=Skooby]This is pretty much exactly what I said as well. Management is partially to blame for a obviously bad situation but they are realistically not the people who accepted contracts elsewhere nor even offered a chance to match. Did Drury come running back with contract in hand and ask for a match?? Vanek just cried when he got his offer and never though twice about leaving Buffalo. Briere had his house up for sale long before it came to this so he was planning on leaving no matter what. Management deserves more credit for everything they have done as well as Tom G., 4 years ago we we're lost, BK with an empty stadium. Now we are mentioned as SC contender's, playoff bound, stadium sold out and create a better downtown environment.

[/SQUOTE]

Really?! So he only signed an offer sheet knowing the Sabres would match it and F with their cap?

Just another fluff piece to make these guys that most people felt strongly for look like money hungry jerks.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

[quote=chernobylwraiths]
      Originally posted by Skooby
      This is pretty much exactly what I said as well. Management is partially to blame for a obviously bad situation but they are realistically not the people who accepted contracts elsewhere nor even offered a chance to match. Did Drury come running back with contract in hand and ask for a match?? Vanek just cried when he got his offer and never though twice about leaving Buffalo. Briere had his house up for sale long before it came to this so he was planning on leaving no matter what. Management deserves more credit for everything they have done as well as Tom G., 4 years ago we we're lost, BK with an empty stadium. Now we are mentioned as SC contender's, playoff bound, stadium sold out and create a better downtown environment.

[/SQUOTE]

Really?! So he only signed an offer sheet knowing the Sabres would match it and F with their cap?

Just another fluff piece to make these guys that most people felt strongly for look like money hungry jerks.
      Most people in Buffalo nor anywhere will make that type of money in their lifetime, don't cry for them too much. (P. S. They are money hungry jerks).

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

He burned them there, it's so true. Briere is screwed and Drury will have crap one and turd 2 around him.

The Sabres management that didn't treat Briere right is the same management that once traded Chris Gratton for him, and rescued him from the scrap heap in Phoenix. That same management surrounded him with players that allowed him to become an elite player, and make more money than he could have ever dreamed of. Let's see how his numbers look, when he's on the unbalanced Flyers and opponents focus on shutting down his line. It's pretty easy to be on the top line in Buffalo, when the second line has Chris Drury, and the third line has Max, Vanek, and Roy.

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

I've been trying to say the point that it is a two way street. Everyone is pissed at the Sabres FO but who knows what Briere and Drury had planned for themselves. Maybe they knew all along they were going to move in a different direction. That's why I find it hard to come down 100% on the FO.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Skooby, you're just wrong on this one.

If management had treated Briere better, maybe he wouldn't have had his house up for sale. And maybe, just maybe, he was planning on moving to a bigger house with the extra cash even if he stayed. His house being for sale proves NOTHING.

What the management did in the past does NOT change the fact that they botched this off-season.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37

If management had treated Briere better, maybe he wouldn't have had his house up for sale. And maybe, just maybe, he was planning on moving to a bigger house with the extra cash even if he stayed. His house being for sale proves NOTHING.

What the management did in the past does NOT change the fact that they botched this off-season.
              I'll gladly eat crow on this one but I don't think the Sabres will miss Briere as much as some think. I also think he got overpaid and Philly will regret signing him to 8 years or whatever they signed him too. He benefited a lot from the system the Sabres ran and I don't think he'll succeed in Philly the way he did in Buffalo. And Buffalo fans are tough, but Philly fans might be worse. It's not going to be as peachy as Marty and Danny think it wll be.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

So the $5M isn't enough to buy a house in Buffalo? Would $7M buy a big enough house now?? There is a point of the player understanding that a great team around him, makes him great. It also extends his career an additonal amount of years as well by not being a focal point of a team. He is going to get his *** drilled in Philly.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

So the $5M isn't enough to buy a house in Buffalo? Would $7M buy a big enough house now?? There is a point of the player understanding that a great team around him, makes him great. It also extends his career an additonal amount of years as well by not being a focal point of a team. He is going to get his *** drilled in Philly.
                  Originally posted by RockStar36
                  I'll gladly eat crow on this one but I don't think the Sabres will miss Briere as much as some think. I also think he got overpaid and Philly will regret signing him to 8 years or whatever they signed him too. He benefited a lot from the system the Sabres ran and I don't think he'll succeed in Philly the way he did in Buffalo. And Buffalo fans are tough, but Philly fans might be worse. It's not going to be as peachy as Marty and Danny think it wll be.
                  I'll agree that things aren't going to be as easy in Philly for him as they were in Buffalo.

But I don't think that changes the fact that mgt botched the situation.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

I'll agree that things aren't going to be as easy in Philly for him as they were in Buffalo.

But I don't think that changes the fact that mgt botched the situation.
                    We couldn't of afforded to pay 3 guys ~$7 M anyways, so what did they botch? They obviously wanted Vanek enough to pay him a fortune, I think he'll earn it. Career years for the 2 that left and Vanek just started his & had killer stats, no brainer.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

We couldn't of afforded to pay 3 guys ~$7 M anyways, so what did they botch? They obviously wanted Vanek enough to pay him a fortune, I think he'll earn it. Career years for the 2 that left and Vanek just started his & had killer stats, no brainer.
                      if they didn't want to keep Briere, fine, but Briere made public comments about not liking how he was treated. At the very least they need to treat the guy with respect.

Plus, if they had dealt with him during the season, they may have been able to get him for cheaper and kept him and Vanek.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

if they didn't want to keep Briere, fine, but Briere made public comments about not liking how he was treated. At the very least they need to treat the guy with respect.

Plus, if they had dealt with him during the season, they may have been able to get him for cheaper and kept him and Vanek.
                        So paying him $5M wasn't enough then?? The guy was a bum 3 years ago, got into a great system with a huge amount of surrounding talent and then moved to the doormat of the league, why? I suppose he moved to Philly because they treated him so much better but since they never dealt with him I will safely say it's all about making more money. Who in their right mind goes from a team that was in the ECF 2 years in a row to the doormat of the league?

There is a big difference between getting treated fairly and not sitting down to talk with everyone. How hard is it living in Buffalo to drive to see these guys and have meetings, 30 minutes max?
                        Last edited by Mitchy moo; 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

So paying him $5M wasn't enough then?? The guy was a bum 3 years ago, got into a great system with a huge amount of surrounding talent and then moved to the doormat of the league, why? I suppose he moved to Philly because they treated him so much better but since they never dealt with him I will safely say it's all about making more money. Who in their right mind goes from a team that was in the ECF 2 years in a row to the doormat of the league?

There is a big difference between getting treated fairly and not sitting down to talk with everyone. How hard is it living in Buffalo to drive to see these guys and have meetings, 30 minutes max?
                          dude, he had 95 points and was the captain of the team that made it to the conf finals two consecutive years. So what if he was a bum 3 years ago? It's irrelevant.

And you proved my point- it's easy to meet with people in Buffalo and the FO didn't take the time to meet with Briere. They didn't make him feel wanted and they didn't deal with him when he could have been had for $5 million a season or less.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Point one, stop the lies. Everyone acts like this guy was garbage, barely able to stay in the NHL. In the last full year before the trade, he had 32 goals and 60 points. That matches his career high in goals in a season. So please don't give me the crap that he sucked before we got him. He was placed on waivers in the last season with Pheonix, that doesn't mean he sucks. Pominville was placed on waivers two years ago too, did he suck.

Yes, he is overpaid, but to get guys in ANY league in UFA, you HAVE to overpay. Like the Bills did with Dockery.

Your last statement in assinine. You act like it was Danny's responsibility to walk down to Darcy's office and beg him to stay. Sure he wanted to get paid, and he sure wasn't going to turn down more money, but it was the Sabres front office's responsibility to try to sign their guys. Besides, he has an agent to make deals for him. That's what he pays him for.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                              Point one, stop the lies. Everyone acts like this guy was garbage, barely able to stay in the NHL. In the last full year before the trade, he had 32 goals and 60 points. That matches his career high in goals in a season. So please don't give me the crap that he sucked before we got him. He was placed on waivers in the last season with Pheonix, that doesn't mean he sucks. Pominville was placed on waivers two years ago too, did he suck.

Yes, he is overpaid, but to get guys in ANY league in UFA, you HAVE to overpay. Like the Bills did with Dockery.

Your last statement in assinine. You act like it was Danny's responsibility to walk down to Darcy's office and beg him to stay. Sure he wanted to get paid, and he sure wasn't going to turn down more money, but it was the Sabres front office's responsibility to try to sign their guys. Besides, he has an agent to make deals for him. That's what he pays him for.
                              Cher, one thing your not getting here is the final veto power goes with the player. They are in control of where they go and direct the agent as to their wishes. If Danny wanted to stay in Buffalo and really give a hometown discount it would of happened, he didn't. Not liking a policy that's in place or how you feel they treated you is subjective only to Danny B., not the Sabres. They paid him well, put a C on his uniform and gave him a chance to succeed. He decided to put his house up for sale and move, not the Sabres.

Like I said before, you go the doormat of the league it's for money not for love of the organization. I personally played very good hockey when I was younger, I'll assure you a losing team was not my first choice. Getting paid a huge amount to show up for a losing team that offsets it, that's another story. Cry for the multi-millionaire all you want, he wouldn't cry for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X