PDA

View Full Version : Darius has been signed by Oak!

X-Era
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
This is from Profootballtalk.com:

RAIDERS SIGN DARIUS

The Oakland Raiders have announced the acquisition of free-agent safety Donovin Darius (http://www.raiders.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=25664). A first round pick of the Jaguars in the 1998 draft, Darius was cut on June 14 by the team with which he spent nine seasons.

"We are extremely excited about adding Donovin to the Raiders," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. "He will bring us immediate competition in our secondary. Donovin exemplifies hard work and dedication to the game. Working with Donovin at Jacksonville, I was able to see what a phenomenal competitor he is. He will fit great into our team philosophy."

Darius visited the Raiders last month. He likely will play strong safety, allowing the team to move current strong safety Michael Huff to free safety, and current free safety Stuart Schweigert to the bench.

mikemac2001
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
:clap:

Mr. Miyagi
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Working with Donovin at Jacksonville, I was able to see what a phenomenal competitor he is.
When did Lane Kiffin ever work in Jacksonville? Didn't he come straight out of USC with no NFL experience?

madness
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
When did Lane Kiffin ever work in Jacksonville? Didn't he come straight out of USC with no NFL experience?

Kiffin, 30, was the defensive quality control coach for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars in 2000 (he worked with the secondary).

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kiffin_lane00.html

Saratoga Slim
07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh well. Unless we did something crazy like move Whitner to CB, I think his only real value to us would have been as depth. but he wouldn't have been happy here on the bench, and I'd have been annoyed if we signed him and sent Ko to the pine.

RockStar36
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Good!!!!

Night Train
07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
The Bills found out he couldn't help at the 1 gap DT position

X-Era
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Oh well. Unless we did something crazy like move Whitner to CB, I think his only real value to us would have been as depth. but he wouldn't have been happy here on the bench, and I'd have been annoyed if we signed him and sent Ko to the pine.

I agree, I couldnt see a clear reason to go after him.

Michael82
07-11-2007, 12:36 AM
:phew:

bigbub2352
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
This would have been a bad signing for the Bills, at least when we signed Lawyer he wasnt injury prone, Donovan would have been a great signing 3 yrs ago, but his age and mileage would have been a waste of money and it would have hurt the development of our young safties

Elminster
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
It's obvious why he signed with the Raiders...at best, we probably told him he'd have to compete for a job....