PDA

View Full Version : Sabres set NHL merchandise sales pace

YardRat
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/07/09/daily13.html

The Buffalo Sabres (http://www.bizjournals.com/search/results.html?Ntk=All&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Ntt=%22Buffalo%20Sabres%22) were the champions of the National Hockey League (http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/gen/National_Hockey_League_30814CAA65F9470EAEB9B1B49FE08CD5.html) in terms of selling team-affiliated merchandise in the 2006-07 season.

Sales of Sabres-related goods jumped nearly 500 percent, sparking the Shop.NHL.com (http://shop.nhl.com/) Web site to post its biggest year since launching 11 years ago.

The jersey of Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.bizjournals.com/search/results.html?Ntk=All&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Ntt=%22Pittsburgh%20Penguins%22) was the top seller last season. The jerseys of four Sabres' players -- Ryan Miller, Chris Drury, Maxim Afinogenov and Daniel Briere -- ranked second through fifth, respectively. Drury and Briere recently left the Sabres, however, after becoming free agents.

Michael82
07-11-2007, 12:57 AM
This right here just really pisses me off. We sold so much **** and the team had a to make a bunch of money. I knew they sold a bunch of stuff at the Sabres store. It was always busy and the shelves were empty.....but yet we still let go of our top 2 players. :mad:

**** YOU, Larry Quinn! :curse:

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2007, 08:05 AM
This right here just really pisses me off. We sold so much **** and the team had a to make a bunch of money. I knew they sold a bunch of stuff at the Sabres store. It was always busy and the shelves were empty..
What pisses you off? We knew it was a possibility of losing one if not both well over a year ago.

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes! I love the new logo! And so does everyone else!

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Yes! I love the new logo! And so does everyone else!

:gosabres:

Michael82
07-11-2007, 08:43 AM
What pisses you off? We knew it was a possibility of losing one if not both well over a year ago.
No, many people thought that we would keep at least 1 of the 2 guys. Or else you never would have had that many Drury and Briere jerseys fly off the shelf in January-May. :sigh:

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
No, many people thought that we would keep at least 1 of the 2 guys. Or else you never would have had that many Drury and Briere jerseys fly off the shelf in January-May. :sigh:
Sure we did but which one? That was NEVER clear so anyone who bought either jersey shouldn't complain all that much.

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Sure we did but which one? That was NEVER clear so anyone who bought either jersey shouldn't complain all that much.

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
This is a serious question about the logo Mikey: You say everybody hates it, but it sold well.

Maybe it was not as much of as a mistake as you thought.

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
This right here just really pisses me off. We sold so much **** and the team had a to make a bunch of money. I knew they sold a bunch of stuff at the Sabres store. It was always busy and the shelves were empty.....but yet we still let go of our top 2 players. :mad:

**** YOU, Larry Quinn! :curse:

We really don't know what they made and even if they did, it is not only being about being able to afford it today, but 5 years from now. It is like buying a house. Sure I can afford the mortgage today, but can I 5 years from now.

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Best....Logo....EVER

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Anyone that bought a Briere or Drury jersey has nobody to blame but themselves. They should have known the risk they were taking. It was foolish to buy either one.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I stayed away from Briere and Drury jersey I wanted them in the new blue and gold jersey but i knew that they were UFA's this year and there was a chance that they wouldn't be back so I went with Vanek (away) and Miller (home) instead.

Iehoshua
07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Aren't the jerseys gonna be different now, like the tighter fitting style?

I wanna get one of those.

don137
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I am sure if you ask all the people today that bought a Briere or Drury jersey if they wish they bought someone elses jersey 99% would say yes. $150 for a replica jersey seems to be the going rate and that is a lot to spend on someone not here. I would not be surprised if the majority of the people who bought those jerseys did not know their contract was up or really thought they would re-sign them.
I got my son a Vanek jersey back in January. I called Laux Sporting goods and they had Pominville, Miller, Briere and Drury jerseys in stock. The only reason I did not get a Drury jersey was because I was worried he'd be gone. Since everyone has a Miller jersey he really wanted Vanek since he really liked him and not many people had Vanek jerseys. Laux's had to special order the numbers and letters but did so even though it delayed the order 4 weeks. I thought there was no way Vanek was going anywhere because he was a restricted FA but I was sweating it.

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I am sure if you ask all the people today that bought a Briere or Drury jersey if they wish they bought someone elses jersey 99% would say yes. $150 for a replica jersey seems to be the going rate and that is a lot to spend on someone not here. I would not be surprised if the majority of the people who bought those jerseys did not know their contract was up or really thought they would re-sign them.
I got my son a Vanek jersey back in January. I called Laux Sporting goods and they had Pominville, Miller, Briere and Drury jerseys in stock. The only reason I did not get a Drury jersey was because I was worried he'd be gone. Since everyone has a Miller jersey he really wanted Vanek since he really liked him and not many people had Vanek jerseys. Laux's had to special order the numbers and letters but did so even though it delayed the order 4 weeks. I thought there was no way Vanek was going anywhere because he was a restricted FA but I was sweating it.

How could people not have known? Sure some probably didn't but a majority!

Smart purchase on your part! I didn't end up getting a jersey last year as I have fairly new throwbacks that I bought within the last couple years but I was thinking about it for a bit and was not considering Drury or Briere at all. I was thinking Roy, Vanek, and Stafford.

Michael82
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
This is a serious question about the logo Mikey: You say everybody hates it, but it sold well.

Maybe it was not as much of as a mistake as you thought.
Again, like has been said before.....

If you win, any ugly piece of crap logo will sell on new merchandise. If the Sabres came out with that logo when they were struggling. There is no way in hell it would have flew off the shelves the way it did. Winning sells!

Keep in mind that most people were just glad to see Blue and gold. Once they were the hottest team in the league (all year), everything sold like hotcakes. If they weren't as popular as they were, I have a feeling more people would have stuck with the slug comments and hated it.

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Smart purchase on your part! I didn't end up getting a jersey last year as I have fairly new throwbacks that I bought within the last couple years but I was thinking about it for a bit and was not considering Drury or Briere at all. I was thinking Roy, Vanek, and Stafford.

I have the new white one and its blank and I want to get a new blue one with a name but if I do I'm thinking of getting LaFontaine. I figure I can't go wrong with a classic player plus I like the idea of a classic player on a new jersey.

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Again, like has been said before.....

If you win, any ugly piece of crap logo will sell on new merchandise. If the Sabres came out with that logo when they were struggling. There is no way in hell it would have flew off the shelves the way it did. Winning sells!

Keep in mind that most people were just glad to see Blue and gold. Once they were the hottest team in the league (all year), everything sold like hotcakes. If they weren't as popular as they were, I have a feeling more people would have stuck with the slug comments and hated it.

I think you're just in denial my friend.

SabreEleven
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
The Sabres WILL NOT lead the mechandise race this year... Guarenteed.

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Probably not!

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
People will be clamoring for those hot new Caps jerseys!

Michael82
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Good point, Sabre11. :up:

Michael82
07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
People will be clamoring for those hot new Caps jerseys!
I'm going to guess the Blue Jackets do the best sales with their new jerseys.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm going to guess the Blue Jackets do the best sales with their new jerseys.

Columbus sure is a hot bed for hockey!

Valerie
07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Who cares if you're wearing a jersey from a player who is no longer on the team? Does it really matter? In the end, no matter whose jersey you get, they'll be gone eventually. I had a #89 Mogilny jersey specially made for me and he's no longer on the Leafs but I don't care.

don137
07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Who cares if you're wearing a jersey from a player who is no longer on the team? Does it really matter? In the end, no matter whose jersey you get, they'll be gone eventually. I had a #89 Mogilny jersey specially made for me and he's no longer on the Leafs but I don't care.

Sure you can wear a jersey of a player not on the team. If he is retired its not as bad but if he playing on another team is a no no in many peoples minds. It's like a girl wearing white shoes after labor day.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Yes it matters... I certainly haven't even removed my McGahee authentic from the hangar since he left. I wore my Moulds jersey maybe 2-3 times last year, mostly if the McGahee one needed washed or I was worried about it getting ruined.

don137
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM

I think the majority would not have known (Mom's/wives or grandparents giving a gift of a jersey) or really thought those players would be back.

Vanek is definitely a safe pick. Roy is a hard one to predict and Stafford would be a cool one.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
We'll never get rid of this guy:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/scottlunn/100_2070.jpg

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Yes it matters... I certainly haven't even removed my McGahee authentic from the hangar since he left. I wore my Moulds jersey maybe 2-3 times last year, mostly if the McGahee one needed washed or I was worried about it getting ruined.

I could maybe see wearing a hockey one just because they are more expensive but I don't know if I could do it. I hate wearing out-dated jerseys. My McGahee one has been on a hanger since he left and will only come off when it's time to jump in the fire.

Michael82
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I found a place that will remove your nameplate and put something else on, including your name. I'm sending it to them this week to get my Spikes authentic changed into a Posluszny jersey, along with my replica Spikes. I talked to a few of my buddies who have done it before and they said that it takes a while to get it back, but they do a GREAT job. :up:

http://www.exclusivepro.com/index.html

Michael82
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I could maybe see wearing a hockey one just because they are more expensive but I don't know if I could do it. I hate wearing out-dated jerseys. My McGahee one has been on a hanger since he left and will only come off when it's time to jump in the fire.
in the fire? :rofl: You going to sacrifice it to the football gods during the Bills/Ravens tailgate? i hear a bunch of people are doing that. I might bring my extra replica.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I found a place that will remove your nameplate and put something else on, including your name. I'm sending it to them this week to get my Spikes authentic changed into a Posluszny jersey, along with my replica Spikes. I talked to a few of my buddies who have done it before and they said that it takes a while to get it back, but they do a GREAT job. :up:

http://www.exclusivepro.com/index.html

Not bad, except it costs more to get it changed then I paid for it in the first place...

Michael82
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Not bad, except it costs more to get it changed then I paid for it in the first place...
how much did u pay for it?

RockStar36
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
in the fire? :rofl: You going to sacrifice it to the football gods during the Bills/Ravens tailgate? i hear a bunch of people are doing that. I might bring my extra replica.

I kind of don't want to do it because it was a gift and he was my favorite Bill for a long time, but hey, he ripped the city of Buffalo. He crossed the line. And no player is more important than the team and I'm a fan of the team first.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
how much did u pay for it?

$40-45 I think.

Michael82
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
It's only $30 to strip and change a nameplate. Plus $10.50 for shipping....

. If you are only stripping a nameplate, it is $10, and $20 for a new one.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 03:09 PM
It's only $30 to strip and change a nameplate. Plus $10.50 for shipping....

[/size]

Yes, because I surely want an Eric Bassey jersey...

Michael82
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes, because I surely want an Eric Bassey jersey...
you can make your McGahee jersey into a Lunn jersey. I'm sure no one has it. :D

Philagape
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
The jersey could have had pink flamingos in drag on it, and it would have sold well

Dr. Lecter
07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
The jersey could have had pink flamingos in drag on it, and it would have sold well

Maybe you would have bought it, but I sure as hell would not have.

Philagape
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I bought slug jerseys, so I'll buy anything.

BlackMetalNinja
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM

I want 3!!!

PUCKER
07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I knew I was buying a Miller jersey anyway. :up:

Michael82
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
EXACTLY!

Dr. Lecter
07-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Sounds like both Mikey and Phil are looking for excuses to wear pink flamingoes in drag.

To each his own, I won't judge either one of them.

Philagape
07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Yellow slugs = Pink flamingos