• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Chris Brown's list of Bills sleepers

Brad Butler - With his abilities and progress somewhat limited coming off offseason shoulder surgery as a rookie, Butler is fully healthy and committed to competing for the starting right guard job. The offensive staff likes his nasty on field disposition. Physically superior (6'7" 315) to Duke Preston and veteran Jason Whittle with whom he's competing for a starting job, Butler could make the right guard spot a legitimate three-man competition.

Jon Corto - The Orchard Park native made the most of his three-day tryout in the spring and was signed to a rookie free agent deal. Considered by Dick Jauron as athletic as any other defensive back on the roster, Corto could really open some eyes and compete for a reserve safety role on the 53-man roster with a strong camp. He should factor heavily into the open gunner position left vacant by free agent departure Andre Davis.

John DiGiorgio - A former rookie free agent whose speed and anticipation skills make him difficult to ignore defensively. With a command of the defensive system DiGiorgio will make it more of a competition for the starting middle linebacker spot with Paul Posluszny than most expect. He's arguably one of the most valuable young special teams cover players.

Jason Jefferson - Fully committing himself this offseason and staying in Buffalo to participate in the conditioning program, Jefferson has molded his frame into a more muscular 295 pounds making him a bit quicker off the ball. If Darwin Walker's rights revert back to Philadelphia and John McCargo spends more time at the nose, Jefferson could land the backup job to Larry Tripplett, where he saw time in the spring.

Jim Leonhard - With a football IQ higher than just about anyone on defense, the staff feels comfortable putting him on the field in almost any situation which could mean a bigger role in 2007. Leonhard was part of the first team nickel package and the dime packages in the spring, and knows both safety positions like the back of his hand. He's also a multi-faceted special teams participant.

Riley Swanson - The rookie cornerback opened some eyes in the spring camps with polished technique for a player fresh out of college. As a result he's generally consistent in his coverage. Being a candidate for a gunner position also helps his cause and speaks to his natural speed. Holding up physically when the pads go on is the only question mark with his somewhat slight frame.

Chris Thompson - The late NFL Europe signee has NFL experience (Chicago) and has a good physical build (6'0" 189). The cornerback's strength is in the short zone areas which is a plus for the requirements of the Bills defensive system. He should compete for the fifth cornerback spot.

John Wendling - A big and fast safety that will look more valuable when the pads start popping in camp and he can bring his physical skills to the forefront. With good instincts and a strong special teams background he is likely to be dressed on most Sundays as a rookie.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Chris Brown's list of Bills sleepers

I always look forward to training camp and pre-season to see who steps up....

if a we do get a couple of surprises it could go a long way towards the Bills having a 9-7 season and possible wild card berth over the predicted 7-9 season many of us are predicting.

Comment

• Bling
      • Jul 2004

Marv Levy hasn't cut mr. no character Brad Butler yet?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Why do you say he has no character Bling? And cite something besides an isolated incident in one game.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see John Wendling or John DiGiorgio starting at SS while Whitner gets moved to FS or CB... Simpson could be moved to CB if Whitner takes his spot.

In any event... I believe the Bills secondary will end up being the strength of the Bills D... And possibly be among the NFL's best by season's end.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I'm surprised to see Jason Jefferson on that list. Jon Corto too.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bling
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              Why do you say he has no character Bling? And cite something besides an isolated incident in one game.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
                Agreed. If Jason Jefferson, who has apparently been putting in the time, has improved to the point that he might see some time, that would be a huge gain indeed!!! Same for Corto.

If I'm any of those CBs on the roster, I'm thinking that I have a real chance to make the team and working hard to try and make it. CB is probably the best position to try and make the team in.

Also, if Brad Butler steps up to take the RG, I'm happy (I know people here will ***** if it's Butler/Pennington for RG/RT instead of Walker being in there), but I don't care. You play your best players, period...

Comment

• Lexwhat
                  • Feb 2005

?? ... Chris Brown named almost everyone on that list. His "non-sleeper" list is probally shorter than that.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

You all need to remember though guys, that this was written by Chris Brown, who is paid by the Bills, so basically this is a smokescreen and it is so factually wrong that all of those guys are actually about to be cut (sarcasm).

To be honest, I dont want to see Jim Leonhard anywhere in our starting coverage, unless it is in the nickel and dime capacities that he has been working on. He is an overachiever, which is better than being an underachiever, but just like Poz and Johhny D, I'd much rather see our better physical athletes out there if they arent completely ******ed. Not that I dont root for the guy, but I root more for our better athletes to pick up the schemes bc of their better upside.

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      In the last game of last season, Jauron benched Tim Anderson and went with Jefferson. The Bills had a pretty good day stopping the run with the Ravens gaining about 110 yards on the ground. Jefferson has a good chance to make the team.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

Indeed.
                        Jason Jefferson > Tim Anderson

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

I think he meant to say that Jason Jefferson will be sleeping alot after he gets cut this year.

Comment

• buffalowdown
                            • Jul 2007

My choice for a sleeper is WR Johnny Quinn. The guy is incredibly fast and has the toughness needed to go over the middle, which is something I feel our team really lacks. I expect him to make the openeing day active roster and be used in the return game.

Visit my Buffalo Bills blog the BuffaLowdown at www.buffalowdown.com

Comment

• im4bflo
                              the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by draz54
                              I wouldn't be totally surprised to see John Wendling or John DiGiorgio starting at SS while Whitner gets moved to FS or CB... Simpson could be moved to CB if Whitner takes his spot.

In any event... I believe the Bills secondary will end up being the strength of the Bills D... And possibly be among the NFL's best by season's end.
                              My sleeper is Wendling, he's going to be huge on ST's, and later Safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X