PDA

View Full Version : Paul Oliver to the Chargers

Ickybaluky
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
According to PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm).

4th round pick.

Ickybaluky
07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Gaither in 5th.

X-Era
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
According to PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm).

4th round pick.

Our 4th rounder was higher and we had an extra 3rd.

We must feel pretty secure at CB. We must be high on Yobouty being a full time starter or our future in the next few years, if we dont I cant understand not getting him competition. Especially since if Webster or Youbouty faulters, it could easily become our #1 need going into the next offseason.

Thats why, to me, it further sign we are convinced we are fine at CB.

Pinkerton Security
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM
damn.

Romes
07-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Gaither in 5th.

...to the ravens. this thing is pretty much over now then...

Saratoga Slim
07-12-2007, 01:34 PM

We must feel pretty secure at CB. We must be high on Yobouty being a full time starter or our future in the next few years, if we dont I cant understand not getting him competition. Especially since if Webster or Youbouty faulters, it could easily become our #1 need going into the next offseason.

or we just think he sucks.

X-Era
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
or we just think he sucks.

Thats obviously possible.

But then why claim Revis was a guy we would have taken in the 1st round this year, then draft no CB's, sign a second tier vet, and send scouts to scout Oliver?

Oliver sucks but Youbouty is better? Thomas? a guy with no upside? Webster, who is at best a #2 CB and isnt getting any younger?

Fail to see how a very highly touted Oliver is no better an option than many of the afforementioned players. Worst case, he comes here and can replace Greer as a nickel back. Best case, he replaces Thomas or Webster and pushes the other and Youbouty to start.

How is Oliver not at LEAST an upgrade to Greer for example?

evol4276
07-12-2007, 02:58 PM
um wht are we talking about n why? this is for next year correct?

Ed
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Thats obviously possible.

But then why claim Revis was a guy we would have taken in the 1st round this year, then draft no CB's, sign a second tier vet, and send scouts to scout Oliver?

Oliver sucks but Youbouty is better? Thomas? a guy with no upside? Webster, who is at best a #2 CB and isnt getting any younger?

Fail to see how a very highly touted Oliver is no better an option than many of the afforementioned players. Worst case, he comes here and can replace Greer as a nickel back. Best case, he replaces Thomas or Webster and pushes the other and Youbouty to start.

How is Oliver not at LEAST an upgrade to Greer for example?
Maybe we submitted a 5th round pick and the Chargers just beat us out. It's always possible we did want Oliver, we just didn't think he was worth our 4th.

Lexwhat
07-12-2007, 03:21 PM
um wht are we talking about n why? this is for next year correct?

The supplemental draft players will join their teams immediately. They'll play this year.

THATHURMANATOR
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM

What are you talking about? He performed poorly at his pro day. Maybe he just isnt a good player.

X-Era
07-12-2007, 04:03 PM
What are you talking about? He performed poorly at his pro day. Maybe he just isnt a good player.

Ummm, something tells me we would all be smelling something burnt if Greer went up against Calvin Johnson, Oliver shut him down.

Were talking about a 4th round pick here not a 1st, yet thats where Johnson went.

X-Era
07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Maybe we submitted a 5th round pick and the Chargers just beat us out. It's always possible we did want Oliver, we just didn't think he was worth our 4th.

Very possible, but again, only a 5th for a guy that shut down the 2nd pick in the draft???? If his measurables dont measure up, his proven on the field play ought to at least earn a 4th...shouldnt it? What did Tenn give for Lendale White who had little to no measurables?? Again, its a flippin 4th round pick

evol4276
07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
The supplemental draft players will join their teams immediately. They'll play this year. thank you. i had no idea what this supplemental draft was i thought u guys were talking about next years draft already

evol4276
07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
wait so ok now to be the dumbass of the thread, what is a supplemental draft? again ive never heard of this (tho i have only been heavily following fb for maybe 3 years)

X-Era
07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
wait so ok now to be the dumbass of the thread, what is a supplemental draft? again ive never heard of this (tho i have only been heavily following fb for maybe 3 years)

Its a version where a college player become inelligible for playing the next season for one reason or another. They then can make themselves eligible for a supplemental draft rather than waiting in limbo until the next years regular draft. At least I think thats the concept.

Ed
07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Very possible, but again, only a 5th for a guy that shut down the 2nd pick in the draft???? If his measurables dont measure up, his proven on the field play ought to at least earn a 4th...shouldnt it? What did Tenn give for Lendale White who had little to no measurables?? Again, its a flippin 4th round pick
I don't know, but the Chargers were close to the bottom of the round so just about every other team in the league passed up using a 4th on the guy too. We're not the only ones. 4th round picks are valuable. They shouldn't just be wasted on a guy you don't feel comfortable taking just because they're available.

Lendale White is a bad example btw. He hasn't been very good.

Yasgur's Farm
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Of the following 8, the 4 with the best talent will be our starters at 1 DB position or another for 2007...

Whitner - SS, FS, CB
Simpson - FS, CB
McGee - CB
Youboty - CB
Webster - CB
Thomas - CB
Wendling - SS
DiGiorgio - LB, SS (I know this is a bit off the wall but I think he has the size and speed to make a fine SS... Especially given the fact that Whitner was forced to play run D most of last year).

I would go so far as to say that Whitner starts at FS while Wendling and DiGiorgio platoon at SS. Then we could have a rotation of McGee, Youboty, Webster, Thomas and Simpson at CB.

I really, really like the potential here... I think this may be the strength of our D. Please stop all the hand wringing.

evol4276
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
is simpson capable of playing cb? i thought i read he wouldnt be too good of an option. however i do like how u have that set up.. i cant wait to see what wendling can do

buffalowdown
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
is simpson capable of playing cb? i thought i read he wouldnt be too good of an option. however i do like how u have that set up.. i cant wait to see what wendling can do

I don't think Ko has the skill to play CB. His hips are pretty stiff and he isn't the best player in transition. He's at his best ballhwking over the middle in a cover two zone.

patmoran2006
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Did that DT get drafted by anyone?
Boi?

buffalowdown
07-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Did that DT get drafted by anyone?
Boi?

No. Only gaither and Oliver were drafted. Mark Washington signed a FA contract with the 49ers too

RBI90
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't know, but the Chargers were close to the bottom of the round so just about every other team in the league passed up using a 4th on the guy too. We're not the only ones. 4th round picks are valuable. They shouldn't just be wasted on a guy you don't feel comfortable taking just because they're available.

Lendale White is a bad example btw. He hasn't been very good.

Personally I think this is a steal for the Chargers. He was projected to be a 1st rounder in 2008 had he played for UGA next year. SD is probably going to get an additional 4th round pick as compensation for Donnie Edwards signing in KC.

AJ Smith has proven to be a pretty good evaluator of talent. Plus, it's not like they are looking at him to come in and be a starter.