PDA

View Full Version : Souray signs with Oilers

hammerbillsfan
07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213373&hubname

Sheldon Souray (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=256) is on his way to Edmonton as the Oilers and the free agent blueliner agreed to an undisclosed deal.

''I'm heading home to Alberta and I can't wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place,'' Souray said in a release. ''It's always been a terrific building to play in. I couldn't be happier with my decision and I can tell you it was an easy one to make.

''I'm looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are.''

The Elk Point, Alberta native appeared in 81 games with the Montreal Canadiens in 2006-07 and had a career year with 26 goals and 64 points. Nineteen of his 26 goals came on the power play, which set an NHL record for defencemen.

Michael82
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
You had to know that their idiot GM would sign someone. Good move. :up:

pyrrhonist
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I suppose Lowe really wanted offensive output on the PP...Because this doesn't help their 'D'. At least Buffalo didn't overpay for his career year, like some here wanted.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I have to laugh at all the so-called "experts" who said he was the best free-agent defenseman on the market-- and it took over a week for him to come to a contract.

One-year wonder and a defensive liability. Basic common sense here.

mchurchfie
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
He won't be as effective without all of the firepower surrounding him like he had in Ottawa. The defense will be pressuring him alot more.

hammerbillsfan
07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
He won't be as effective without all of the firepower surrounding him like he had in Ottawa. The defense will be pressuring him alot more.

or Montreal :whistling

mchurchfie
07-13-2007, 02:31 PM
or Montreal :whistling
That's what I meant.:earpoke::D:

pyrrhonist
07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
I have to laugh at all the so-called "experts" who said he was the best free-agent defenseman on the market-- and it took over a week for him to come to a contract.

One-year wonder and a defensive liability. Basic common sense here.

I couldn't agree more. When a guy with little to no defensive capability and a career year in goals is the "best" free agent blueliner, something is wrong with that FA class for defensemen.

Of course, I thought Hannan was the best defensive defenseman (Why is that even a term?!?) on the market.

northernbillfan
07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
We'll take him.