• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Training Camp reviews

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

AFC EAST
    Buffalo Bills
    Camp dates: July 26-Aug. 22
    Team Web site | Camp information | Practice schedule | Directions/parking | Camp map

What Len Pasquarelli says: Held at a college campus in a suburb of Rochester, N.Y., this is the kind of NFL training camp a lot of baby boomers attended while growing up. The small, tucked-away Catholic college has a great atmosphere and enjoys terrific architecture on its grounds. The school, run by the Basilian fathers, is 53 years old, but appears a lot older, largely because of the classic style of the buildings. There are bleachers set pretty close to the field from which to watch the practices, and the Bills tend to have a good share of evening workouts. One caution: There always seems to be some kind of construction work taking place at the college. It's an easy drive to St. John Fisher College from downtown Rochester, where there are a few surprisingly good restaurants.
    What to do besides training camp: Home to the Bills since 2000, St. John Fisher College counts team owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. among its biggest supporters. The training camp is considered one of the best in the league for fans, as it includes activities such as a quarterback challenge, obstacle course and football toss. The Bills are not the only sporting attraction, as Pittsford is home to the famous Oak Hill Country Club, which hosted the 1995 Ryder Cup. Otherwise, the surrounding area features two large malls, Eastview Mall in Victor and Marketplace Mall in Henrietta.

I know how many feel about Lenny P and ESPN, including myself, but this is kinda neat anyways. I love training camp and am very disappointed to not be able to go this year.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Training Camp reviews

surprisingly good restaurants? That's a bit of a left handed compliment.

I wonder why he mentioned the malls and not the Eastman House or the Strong Museum or something on the lake.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
      surprisingly good restaurants? That's a bit of a left handed compliment.

I wonder why he mentioned the malls and not the Eastman House or the Strong Museum or something on the lake.
      yeah, I've always thought there was quite a bit to do in Rochester. And there are a bunch of very good restaurants. I've spent the past 10 years in New York, Philadelphia and Saratoga Springs, so my bar is pretty high too.
      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
        yeah, I've always thought there was quite a bit to do in Rochester. And there are a bunch of very good restaurants. I've spent the past 10 years in New York, Philadelphia and Saratoga Springs, so my bar is pretty high too.
        Maybe MCGahee should have lived in the Roc instead of Buffalo...nah, good riddance.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

I can't believe I lived 20-30 minutes away 2 years ago and didn't go to training camp at all... Now I'm stuck down here in an area that's closest team is 3 hours away and college football is a bigger deal.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
            I can't believe I lived 20-30 minutes away 2 years ago and didn't go to training camp at all... Now I'm stuck down here in an area that's closest team is 3 hours away and college football is a bigger deal.
            When I was living in Rochester (and going to school at Niagara), training camp was at Fredonia.

When I transferred to Fredonia, training camp got moved to Rochester (ARRRGGGHH!).

My time in Rochester only overlapped with training camp by 1 year. I actually had a temp job and the parking lot for it was one of the shuttle bus stops for camp. One day we had a network issue so they let us out early and I was able to go to Fisher and see the setup and all the Bills merch and the free samples and all that- unfortunately I just missed the morning practice and they didn't have an afternoon practice.

Redskins camp is really close to me, but the Skins are just a bunch of over-the-hill ex Bills that I saw in Buffalo before they were over the hill. Snyder used to charge for admittance to camp, until he found out that other teams' scouts were allowed to enter if they paid.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mikemac2001
              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
              • Mar 2003

i love going it rocks....gets ya into football. try to go to atleast one night practice and a few day ones

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

I am taking my boys to the sat 28th practices, any recomendations for resturants? (We live in Jacksonville :o(

Comment

• mikemac2001
                  • Mar 2003

mcdonalds

MUCK
                  FIAMI

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    • Mar 2003

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, 99 Court St, Rochester, NY

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                      Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, 99 Court St, Rochester, NY
                      Everytime we had company come in from out of town, that's where they wanted to go. I thought it was alright, but not as great as everybody seemed to make it out to be.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                        • Mar 2003

i wouldnt say its great but its usally a good meal and it really depends on what you get.....good place to go tho

its something diff

MUCK
                        FIAMI

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          I am taking my boys to the sat 28th practices, any recomendations for resturants? (We live in Jacksonville :o(
                          you have to get a garbage plate from Nick Tahou's- I don't know the address but you can Google it. There's nothing more Rochester than a garbage plate- go early though, it's not in the greatest neighborhood.

There's an Italian place right up 31 from Fisher (where 31 hits 590) called Mario's Via Abruzzi. That place used to be really good.

You also have to try Abbott's frozen custard and DiBella's or Rubino's subs. They all have numerous locations- I don't know where the closest ones to camp are though. I'm sure you can find it on the Internet.

Oh, and this isn't a food place, but you have to go to the House of Guitars in Irondequoit. It's a music store that cells both CDs and musical instruments- it's an experience like no other.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            • Mar 2003

you have to get a garbage plate from Nick Tahou's- I don't know the address but you can Google it. There's nothing more Rochester than a garbage plate- go early though, it's not in the greatest neighborhood.

There's an Italian place right up 31 from Fisher (where 31 hits 590) called Mario's Via Abruzzi. That place used to be really good.

You also have to try Abbott's frozen custard and DiBella's or Rubino's subs. They all have numerous locations- I don't know where the closest ones to camp are though. I'm sure you can find it on the Internet.

Oh, and this isn't a food place, but you have to go to the House of Guitars in Irondequoit. It's a music store that cells both CDs and musical instruments- it's an experience like no other.

Agree with post except for the garbage plate....gotta go after a kegger nothing beats it

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                              • May 2005

My wife was complaining the other day about missing Abbott's! I never made it to the House of Guitars while I was there either!

Comment

Working...
                              X