• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Freeney signs: 6 years, $72 million, incl. $30 million bonus

Dwight Freeney, the Indianapolis Colts' franchise player, signed a six-year, $72 million contract with the team Friday that includes a $30 million signing bonus.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: Freeney signs: 6 years, $72 million, incl. $30 million bonus

Move over Nate Clements. Your run as the highest paid defender is already over. You know what's scary? In a few years Clements deal won't even seem that great.

The article mentions Peppers waiting to see what Freeney gets to re-do his deal or whatever. He's going to get a MONSTER contract. I wonder how Schobel feels right now? I'm sure he'll be wanting a pretty hefty raise after this season before he gets too old.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Freeney is good but damn- that's a steep price tag.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

Hey, if he has another 6 sack season that's only a little over $2 million per sack.

Bargain!

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
          Hey, if he has another 6 sack season that's only a little over $2 million per sack.

Bargain!
          I guess that means Schobel should be making $28 million a year
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

the Colts have at least 4 HUGE salaries on their roster, with Manning, Harrison, Wayne and now Freeney. I assume Tarik Glenn's is up there too. I wonder if that comes back to bite them, or if Polian will be able to keep all the balls in the air for the coming years.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• mikemac2001
              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
              the Colts have at least 4 HUGE salaries on their roster, with Manning, Harrison, Wayne and now Freeney. I assume Tarik Glenn's is up there too. I wonder if that comes back to bite them, or if Polian will be able to keep all the balls in the air for the coming years.

Who cares they just won the SB

we all would take that problem in a heartbeat

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

freeney sucked for 14 games this season.. and got all his sacks in 2.. biggest waste of money every in the history of the world.. the guy is above average but not even close to the best defensive player in the league.. colts better have some outs..
                Last edited by Historian; 07-15-2007, 08:18 AM.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Kelsay was a steal!
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

As much as I hate saying Schobel deserves that kind of payday. hes been consistant every year regardless of the crap talent around him.

I hope he gets paid one way or another.
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Stats dont mean **** when evaluating guys like Freeney.

He commands so much attention he opens the door for scrubs (cough cough Tripplett) to have career seasons and go on to bigger paydays.

He's not worth that money, nobody is.. But he's much more deserving of being the highest paid defensive player in the league than Clements.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

I got this off an Indy paper story at work:

"I just appreciate Mr. Irsay and Bill Polian," said Freeney's agent, Gary Wichard. "That's the history of this franchise: When they value a player and want to keep him, they make the commitment.
                        "That's why they're walking around with world champions' rings."

cough, cough

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          biggest waste of money every in the history of the world.
                          Roger Clemens is giving him a run at that

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

The total of that contract can be misleading but the 30 Mil signing bonus is the figure to pay attention to. That's plain silly.

That doesn't bode well at all for the Bills and other small market teams. As a previous poster mentioned, how can Indy have all their $$ tied up in 4,5 players ? Is the cap expected to rise that quickly over the long haul ?
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bulldog
                              Top Dog
                              • Jan 2003

I'm a huge Syracuse fan, and Freeney is a good player. But the Colts are going to regret that contract. I know you guys don't like Peter King, but he threw out an interesting stat on NFL Network last night. Over the last 20 games, Freeney has not had a sack in 15 of them. Think about that for a second.
                              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

Working...
                              X