• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

5-10 Years From Now, Bills Are In Another Football League

Another AFL,AAFC,USFL...whatever they wish to call it. Not the end of the world. I'm ready for it.

This is about simple economics, relative to market size and pricing..Only now the economics are crazy. I see Freeney getting a 30 Mil signing bonus and setting another insane benchmark for future NFL contracts. Throw in other factors such as a salary cap that rises far too fast, making roster stability next to impossible. Then add bigger market clubs who are able to charge premium dollar for tickets and the bottom 7-8 clubs will soon hit the wall.

Will these clubs move ? No. The NFL will just contract/reduce the number of teams. Those wealthy teams will eventually reach their pricing ceiling but the smaller teams will be long gone, since they cannot simply double ticket prices across the board and draw good crowds. Profit sharing would never be enough.

So Buffalo, Cinci, Jacksonville and several other cities will have these large,modern empty stadiums and still hold a good many football fans in their area. Too tempting for smart $$ not to take advantage. Now this WOULD work in former NFL markets and other high growth areas that can't afford the insane NFL franchise fee.

Realistic salaries with a hard cap. Reasonable ticket pricing. Rosters that stay relatively stable, so fans can identify with many of the players.

When I was a kid in the 1960's and attending the Bills games at the Rockpile, I never viewed the AFL Bills as a minor league team in the shadow of the NFL. Neither did anyone else in Buffalo. A far different economic era these days but opportunity knocks.

8-10 teams is all that is needed to form a new league and big $$ has been thrown around at much worse ideas in sports. There is always one major network looking for a spike in it's ratings. Football is the ticket.

Come on. We all know the economic challenges of WNY and the way the NFL is doing business these days. Many other NFL markets face the same challenges. The NFL is pushing out the little guys in the long run but they do not have a monopoly on the game itself. Many like Jerry Jones, Snyder etc. foolishly believe displaced fans will flock to their teams.

How dumb could they possibly be ? Buffalo fans will be too busy supporting a new league that will give them a chance to enjoy football again without raping their wallets. You have seen the parking lots on Sunday mornings, packed with fans enjoying each others company. Thinks it's all about the game itself ? Hardly. A new league is coming.

Discuss
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: 5-10 Years From Now, Bills Are In Another Football League

I agree NT... But I think Buffalo would 1st get a franchise in the CFL rather than a new league.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

When you look at bonus numbers for guys like Clements and Freeney, it does mean that a franchise player will always price himself out of Buffalo.

I fear this with Evans already and someday Peters too.

Bills just gotta hope things come together in a given year so they can make their run.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

I hate threads like this.

If the Bills are in another league it won't be the same. Let's stay in the present.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

I could definitely see that happening.

Then again, I think that the NFL will keep up their greed and will price regular, hardcore, middle class fans out of the game. And will lose a ton of support. Within 15-20 years, if the current pace keeps going, all these major sports leagues will scare their fans away and ruin the sport. I could see some of the leagues or at least a big percentage of the teams folding within the next 10-20 years. I could also see the NFL collapsing as they don't realize that the regular middle class fan is the kind that they need to watch their game and buy their merchandise. The rich bastards that they are trying to appeal to now won't walk around wearing caps or tshirts or even jerseys. They also wouldn't spend the money on the products that the NFL/NBA/MLB endorse.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Look at baseball for a big example. If Alex Rodriguez keeps up his current pace, he's about to be handed a paycheck worth $30-40 million PER YEAR! That's ****ing insane!

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

The only way I foresee another professional football league being able to compete with the NFL is if some current owners pull a 'reverse-AFL' and take their established franchises and break from the league as a group, rounding out the rest of the teams with a couple of newbies.

I may actually welcome that, to tell the truth.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

No Super Bowl or Vince Lombardi trophy= minor league.

It's not the same.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                  I I think that the NFL will keep up their greed and will price regular, hardcore, middle class fans out of the game. And will lose a ton of support. Within 15-20 years, if the current pace keeps going, all these major sports leagues will scare their fans away and ruin the sport. I could see some of the leagues or at least a big percentage of the teams folding within the next 10-20 years. I could also see the NFL collapsing as they don't realize that the regular middle class fan is the kind that they need to watch their game and buy their merchandise. The rich bastards that they are trying to appeal to now won't walk around wearing caps or tshirts or even jerseys. They also wouldn't spend the money on the products that the NFL/NBA/MLB endorse.
                  Well stated.

Major league sports are placing far too big a premium on attracting the rich corporate $, which could very well come back to bite them. Joe Lunchbox will gladly budget his $40-$80 dollars aside for the ticket and be very dependable over the long haul. He will also buy the merchandise every year. Not so with the corporate dollar, which can be sensative to a cyclical market and company cost cutting. If they become the only target audience due to economics, the NFL is in big trouble.

The brie and chardonnay crowd talking business will never be as hardcore as the Labatt Blue/tailgating hard core fans. The NFL has definitely misidentified their target audience.

They are chasing the quick dollar while driving away the long term, hardcore fan. They may indeed be commiting financial suicide and without question, killing the golden goose.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                    Well stated.

Major league sports are placing far too big a premium on attracting the rich corporate $, which could very well come back to bite them. Joe Lunchbox will gladly budget his $40-$80 dollars aside for the ticket and be very dependable over the long haul. He will also buy the merchandise every year. Not so with the corporate dollar, which can be sensative to a cyclical market and company cost cutting. If they become the only target audience due to economics, the NFL is in big trouble.

The brie and chardonnay crowd talking business will never be as hardcore as the Labatt Blue/tailgating hard core fans. The NFL has definitely misidentified their target audience.

They are chasing the quick dollar while driving away the long term, hardcore fan. They may indeed be commiting financial suicide and without question, killing the golden goose.
                    It's a shame, isn't it? The NFL doesn't realize how good they have it. They are about to ruin one of the best things they have.

Comment

• B-DON
                      hi
                      • Mar 2004

can we please stop with the bills movinf or folding threads. all they bring folks down and this is probably the 20th in the last month. Please for everyone's sake, stop the nonsense

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Kinda reeks of USFL to me...

Comment

• henrybacker
                          • May 2007

can we please stop with the bills movinf or folding threads. all they bring folks down and this is probably the 20th in the last month. Please for everyone's sake, stop the nonsense

Either that or people who feel this way could use a little cognitive dissonance and NOT OPEN THE THREAD!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Never going to happen

The networks don't want to lose 5-10 of the top 50 TV markets for football.

Comment

• B-DON
                              hi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by henrybacker

Either that or people who feel this way could use a little cognitive dissonance and NOT OPEN THE THREAD!
                              I know it is a slim possibility but this **** is becoming spam with a new thread about us moving every day. Just shut the f up and wait til you have any evidence at all that we are moving besides ralph saying he is only going to sell to the highest bidder. I know when i sell anything i am going to sell to the highest bidder also. Only makes sense. But it doesnt mean the bills are leaving buffalo.

Comment

Working...
                              X