PDA

View Full Version : Will The Pass Protection Be Better?

justasportsfan
07-16-2007, 02:14 PM
It better be!!!!

On the second day of March the Bills made a big financial commitment to their offensive line not seen in Buffalo before. The club handed out the largest contract in team history to left guard Derrick Dockery, a sizable contract to right tackle Langston Walker and also added veteran Jason Whittle all on the same day. The trio of linemen standing behind head coach Dick Jauron as he spoke about their talents at a team press conference made a big statement.

After years of unsuccessful attempts to shore up the line, Buffalo's brass believes they finally have the offensive front they need to consistently protect their quarterback in the passing game.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4920

THATHURMANATOR
07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes

YardRat
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
They better be.

If the o-line doesn't show dramatic improvement this year, it will be time to say good-bye to Mouse.

justasportsfan
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Still the offensive staff is very high on what Walker can offer when it comes to protection.

"He's extremely athletic for a guy his size," said Fairchild. "He's a knee bender and you see those things when he pass blocks. You see athleticism on the back side of runs when he's cut-off blocking. We like everything about him."

McNally researched Walker extensively before Buffalo signed him, knowing the problems Walker's former team (Oakland) had with their protections. But McNally came up empty when it came to looking for warts on Walker specifically.

"Obviously the Raiders had their problems, but we kept searching and searching to see if he was the problem and he really wasn't," said McNally of Walker. "He was successful in his blocks on just about every play."

What helps to make Walker so effective is his nimble feet despite being 6'8". That combined with his long reach gives him the ability to mirror pass rushers and steer them wide of the pocket.

I guess this part kills the notion of some people here who think that Walker is gonna end up in the bench.... for the moment

mikemac2001
07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the biggest factor is less 3rd and longs...less chances for the defense to load up on rushing the passer and not worrying about the run

I believe running game and confidence to throw to lynch out of backfield will be key

justasportsfan
07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Jp will have his Larry Centers both in Wright and Lynch.

ddaryl
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
The only way this team makes a 7-9 season is if the OL is vastly improved.

and no Offense goes far without a functional OL... case in point the Bills for last the 12 years.

CJW
07-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Just a lil bit but not much!

mikemac2001
07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
CJW u rarely say anything....

Oaf
07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Although he does have Vida G pictures so it's cool.

Goobylal
07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
The O-line will be awesome! Peters and Dockery will be one of the most dominant left sides in the NFL. Fowler will improve after adding 15# of muscle to help him NOT get bull-rushed as much, plus he'll be playing between more experienced players. Walker will be a beast in running game and will be good in pass pro. I'm not worried about what happened in Joakland. At RG is where the biggest question will lie, but I'm confident that Brad Butler will win the job and provide the nastiness needed.