PDA

View Full Version : Lions make franchised Redding richest DT in NFL

justasportsfan
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
07/16/2007 11:43 AM - Cory Redding, the Lions' franchise player in 2007, agreed to a seven-year, $49 million contract that included $16 million in guarantees, including $13 million in signing bonus and roster guarantees.

Last year, Rod Marinelli moved Cory Redding from defensive end to defensive tackle in the belief he could be one of the best defensive tackles in football.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=sports&id=5480408

justasportsfan
07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
one crazy contract after another. Now why would Ralphy be against the new CBA again ?

Michael82
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh God! This is getting ****ing ridiculous. Now I'm starting to believe that the Bills won't be able to afford more than 1 or 2 of the big 5. :sigh:

Lee Evans
Aaron Schobel
JP Losman
Jason Peters
Angelo Crowell

OpIv37
07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
The NFL learned nothing from the hockey lockout.

Mr. Miyagi
07-16-2007, 03:26 PM
one crazy contract after another. Now why would why Ralphy be against the new CBA again ?
:bf1: Well said.

Michael82
07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
The NFL learned nothing from the hockey lockout.
:rofl: The NHL didn't learn anything either. Did you miss the fact that Vanek is getting $7.1 million a year and he's only 23?!

HAMMER
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh God! This is getting ****ing ridiculous. Now I'm starting to believe that the Bills won't be able to afford more than 1 or 2 of the big 5. :sigh:

Lee Evans
Aaron Schobel
JP Losman
Jason Peters
Angelo Crowell

Schobel and Peters have recently gotten extensions, tough dookie if they don't like their deals. They made their bed, now they can lie in it until they are due for a new deal. Some players get overpaid and some under paid , it is the way of the world. Losman is up in the air, this years performance will dictate his situation. Evans will get paid big somewhere, hopefully in Buffalo.

Michael82
07-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Schobel and Peters have recently gotten extensions, tough dookie if they don't like their deals. They made their bed, now they can lie in it until they are due for a new deal.

It doesn't work that way and if you think it does, I'm a little surprised with you. Peters is extended thru 2010. I could see him being approached next year or 2009 for an extension. But remember HAMMER, you don't want to make the same dumbass mistake that the Sabres made. You don't want to ignore the chance to extend your young stars for a good price, when by 2010, Peters might be worth $9-10 million per year! As for Schobel, I don't see it lasting. They will probably approach him sometime soon to extend him again. Remember he is only signed thru the 2009 season. Crowell is only locked up thru the 2008 season.

raphael120
07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Thus far, I don't think it will take much to sign up Crowell, when you think about it, he hasn't been much more than average at the position and really hasn't had a full year of playing time yet, you know? I dont think he'll be the problem.

JP, if he builds off last season, sure.
Evans, hell yeah.
Schobel, I'd like to keep him for another 3-4 years...

Thing is, we have so many young players who are being paid cheaply, I don't see a big issue with us signing Evans to a big deal and even JP if he deserves one. Schobel, who knows if the Bills will shell out a lot to him since he is getting older. Peters will definitly want to be paid more money after this season or next...but again, I think we'll be able to pull it off...thats what the whole "Cash to Cap" is for.

Michael82
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Thus far, I don't think it will take much to sign up Crowell, when you think about it, he hasn't been much more than average at the position and really hasn't had a full year of playing time yet, you know? I dont think he'll be the problem.

JP, if he builds off last season, sure.
Evans, hell yeah.
Schobel, I'd like to keep him for another 3-4 years...

Thing is, we have so many young players who are being paid cheaply, I don't see a big issue with us signing Evans to a big deal and even JP if he deserves one. Schobel, who knows if the Bills will shell out a lot to him since he is getting older. Peters will definitly want to be paid more money after this season or next...but again, I think we'll be able to pull it off...thats what the whole "Cash to Cap" is for.
Good point. :bf1:

!Papacrunk!
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh God! This is getting ****ing ridiculous. Now I'm starting to believe that the Bills won't be able to afford more than 1 or 2 of the big 5.

No offense, but didn't the Bills contribute to the spending spree w/ Dockery?

Michael82
07-16-2007, 04:59 PM
No offense, but didn't the Bills contribute to the spending spree w/ Dockery?
yeah they did. But they had to pay him because they didn't want him to leave. Either way, these salaries are getting crazy. Dockery's is one of them. :ill:

!Papacrunk!
07-16-2007, 05:01 PM
yeah they did. But they had to pay him because they didn't want him to leave. Either way, these salaries are getting crazy. Dockery's is one of them. :ill:

Dude I know, lol. People seem to say that it will all even out and everyone else is paying huge numbers, but I fear it's only going to get worse. Sigh

Michael82
07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Dude I know, lol. People seem to say that it will all even out and everyone else is paying huge numbers, but I fear it's only going to get worse. Sigh
You will see the MLB type contracts in the NFL soon. It's only a matter of time. :ill:

gr8slayer
07-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Lee Evans
Aaron Schobel
JP Losman
Jason Peters
Angelo Crowell
Losman and Peters.

Night Train
07-16-2007, 05:22 PM
one crazy contract after another. Now why would why Ralphy be against the new CBA again ?

Strictly because he's old and stupid, according to ESPN.

CJW
07-16-2007, 05:51 PM
You will see the MLB type contracts in the NFL soon. It's only a matter of time. :ill:The day Chad Johnson makes A-Rod $ is the day I stop watching football hands down.

Tatonka
07-16-2007, 05:55 PM
this is crazy.

it has to level out.. i mean, if it doesnt... No team in the nfl will be able to afford these players..

gr8slayer
07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
this is crazy.

it has to level out.. i mean, if it doesnt... No team in the nfl will be able to afford these players..
No, just Kraft, Jones, and Snyder will be able to afford them.

Elminster
07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we let Schobel walk in '09. Youth and all that. I also wouldn't be surprised if we kept him...

BillsFever21
07-16-2007, 10:16 PM
one crazy contract after another. Now why would Ralphy be against the new CBA again ?

Chris Kelsay got 6 million a year and about 12 million in gurantees with 12.5 career sacks when he is not even an every down player and his backups are at about the same level as him and even one of them is making almost 4 million a year and that is considered a good deal by many here for some reason.

Cory Redding was a complete monster after moving inside and he only got an extra million a year with only 4 more in gurantees for 3 more years on his contract and the Lions also doesn't have a vialble option behind that is close to his same level and that is considered a bad contract. I gurantee if he signed with the Bills it would be a great contract.

Will Cory Redding keep up that level of play? That is unknown but at least he has proved he is able to on a terrible defensive line around him. Kelsay has Schobel on the opposite side of him and Redding had almost as many sacks this year as Kelsay has in his entire career. I would rather have Redding for 7 million a year instead of Kelsay for 6 million a year. It sounds like a lot more because it's for 3 more years but it's only a million more a year. If Kelsay was worth 7 years his contract would've been for 42 million.

A 49 million dollar contract with only 16 million in gurantees is pretty good considering a career average player like Kelsay got 12 million(half the contract) in gurantees.

BillsFever21
07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
It was only a matter of time until the players in football started getting paid close to what other sports are. They were severly underpaid compared to the other leagues and they also don't have guranteed contracts and they still don't.

These contracts sounds like a ton but there is also a ton of money to go around. Don't forget these are not guranteed contracts. Just because it says 49 million doesn't mean they will see it all in most cases. Only 16 million of it is guranteed and he will never see all 7 years of it. He will probably see about 4 or 5 years and 25-30 million of it.

Compared to other sports football players have been getting robbed. They need to make their money when they have the chance. They can't play to they are 35-40 years old in most case unless maybe a QB. They can sign a contract and get hurt and 2 years later they get cut and never see another dime again. They need to stay on top of their game or they will get cut and lose that money. Not like the other sports where the contracts are bigger for the top players and it is guranteed whether they get hurt or just plain suck afterwards.

Unless you are a high drafted rookie then football players generally only have one shot to get a big payday. In baseball you can see 2 or 3 of them.

Michael82
07-17-2007, 12:45 AM
The day Chad Johnson makes A-Rod $ is the day I stop watching football hands down.
Get ready! Because if it isn't Chad Johnson...it will be someone else. :ill:

Night Train
07-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Now you know why I predicted a new football league with the Bills in it.

You can't pay 5 guys and the minimum to 48 others.

hydro
07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah i dont understand how the NFL can get like the MLB when there is SALARY CAP! If someone was to make 25mil a year there wouldn't be enough money to have over 50 players on the team.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, that's funny because Redding isn't even the best DT in Detroit.

Michael82
07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow, that's funny because Redding isn't even the best DT in Detroit.
EXACTLY! I bet Shaun Rogers is flipping out!