PDA

View Full Version : Coy Wire adds some pounds

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Wire was on 97 Rock this AM. He talked about how he now weighs about 225.

He had been around 218 coming out of college, but had to drop weight to play safety. Now that he is at LB, he has put the weight back on. He was ripped last year, so he must be just huge now.

He seemed very impressed with Poz and Lynch, although he obviously would not say other wise.

And, in bad news for Shelby, he is engaged and getting married next April in Arizona.

gr8slayer
07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I think Wire will work out well at LB.

Meathead
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
well shelbys getting married too so she and coy could have each other on the side

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Here's a thought.

Why don't we get guys who are BIG ENOUGH for their position so they don't have to get fat to try to play it?

I'm really getting sick of every guy on this team needing to beef up to be effective, then still not being effective.

User Manuel
07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Wire is a funny looking guy. He has a HUGE noggin. Almost Bonds big. When he slimmed down he looked like a bobblehead.

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Here's a thought.

Why don't we get guys who are BIG ENOUGH for their position so they don't have to get fat to try to play it?

I'm really getting sick of every guy on this team needing to beef up to be effective, then still not being effective.

You did not read the whole post.

He put on the weight back on he had to lose during the TD era.

Guys traditionally and quite ofter put on weight in the NFL.

Of course, the Bills can dump other weight gainers like Peters if you wish.

Ebenezer
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Here's a thought.

Here's a better thought...Wire needs to add some TALENT.

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Here's a better thought...Wire needs to add some TALENT.

He was better at LB than at safety. He might be a good fit for this scheme at LB.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
You did not read the whole post.

He put on the weight back on he had to lose during the TD era.

Guys traditionally and quite ofter put on weight in the NFL.

Of course, the Bills can dump other weight gainers like Peters if you wish.

so we still got a player who was the wrong size for his position. The trend has to stop.

mysticsoto
07-17-2007, 10:25 AM
so we still got a player who was the wrong size for his position. The trend has to stop.

Who are you referring to?

People gain or lose weight all the time. Butler gained considerable weight - b'cse it suits his position. For the time that Coy played safety, it suited him to be lighter - even though that was not his natural position or weight. But he was forced into that position and he made the best of it. Now he's going back to where he should have naturally been placed and gaining the weight back that he was forced to lose. I fail to see how this can be a negative - even in your book!

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Who are you referring to?

People gain or lose weight all the time. Butler gained considerable weight - b'cse it suits his position. For the time that Coy played safety, it suited him to be lighter - even though that was not his natural position or weight. But he was forced into that position and he made the best of it. Now he's going back to where he should have naturally been placed and gaining the weight back that he was forced to lose. I fail to see how this can be a negative - even in your book!

why do we constantly need players to be gaining or losing weight? Why are we constantly making players switch positions to necessitate this?

Who am I referring to? Coy Wire, pretty much all of our DT's, McGahee last year, George Wilson switching to S, in fact pretty much all of our LB's are undersized. All of our receivers are undersized. Shaud Williams. This team is full of guys who aren't the prototypes for their position.

mayotm
07-17-2007, 10:28 AM
so we still got a player who was the wrong size for his position. The trend has to stop.I realize you like to complain about almost every topic. However, was it really necessary for you to throw your negativity into this thread. Somebody simply reported that Wire gained weight. It didn't really warrant one of your complaints.

Meathead
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
what kind of a ****** complains about a professional athelete putting on ten lbs to go back to playing a position he played at a high level in college

question answered

cocamide
why do we constantly need players to be gaining or losing weight? Why are we constantly making players switch positions to necessitate this?

Who am I referring to? Coy Wire, pretty much all of our DT's, McGahee last year, George Wilson switching to S, in fact pretty much all of our LB's are undersized. All of our receivers are undersized. Shaud Williams. This team is full of guys who aren't the prototypes for their position.

Switching players around sure didn't work for the Patsies a couple of years ago. Granted, that was because of injuries, but these guys are athletes and most of them have probably played a number of positions throughout their careers. It would be nice to have 53 guys who are the perfect fit for their positions, but that's not the way it works. Every team has players who switch around and the ones who find the best fits for their players are the ones who win. Teams must be dynamic.

OpIv37
I realize you like to complain about almost every topic. However, was it really necessary for you to throw your negativity into this thread. Somebody simply reported that Wire gained weight. It didn't really warrant one of your complaints.

Wire even being on this team warrants a complaint. He's exactly the type of mediocrity that has been so characteristic of this team for the last decade. The guy does next to nothing but still gets a roster spot every year.

Meathead
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
btw over/under on wire haters in this thread: 7

current running total: 2

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
btw over/under on wire haters in this thread: 7

current running total: 2

you know, this team has been consistently losing, but every time a player is singled out, half the board jumps in to defend him (with the exception of Tim Anderson). Well, if everyone on this team is so good, why does the team keep losing?

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
OP wants every player to be a starter , even back-ups :ill:

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
OP wants every player to be a starter , even back-ups :ill:

once again, we're not winning with the guys we have. Most of our starters should be back ups.

CJW
07-17-2007, 10:58 AM
once again, we're not winning with the guys we have. Most of our starters should be back ups.True

RockStar36
07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Guys, not defending Op or anything, but Coy Wire really does suck. Good team guy, good special teams guy, but I cringe when I see him in on defense.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
once again, we're not winning with the guys we have. Most of our starters should be back ups. you know that after one season of rebuilding?

are you so dense that you are whining about a player who is on the team because of his ST ability and not because he is a lb'er? You are *****ing because he is putting pounds so he can add more value/depth as a lb'er in case something happens to our starters?

You want us to bring players big enough? well we drafted one his name in Pozwhatever. We can't bring in every probowl to play for the bills like you want. I know you LOVE the redkins logic but this is the redskins.

You're *****ing for the sake of *****ing again.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
what kind of a ****** complains about a professional athelete putting on ten lbs to go back to playing a position he played at a high level in college

question answered
it's really stupid. Not every lb'er out there can play st. Maybe we should just put Crowell, Poz, and every starter on st.

There are 50+ players on a team and not every one of them can be starters at their position. Some of those players are there to play ST ad Wire is one of them and yet his putting on some weight to improve himself is a problem?

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
you know that after one season of rebuilding?

are you so dense that you are whining about a player who is on the team because of his ST ability and not because he is a lb'er? You are *****ing because he is putting pounds so he can add more value/depth as a lb'er in case something happens to our starters?

You want us to bring players big enough? well we drafted one his name in Pozwhatever. We can't bring in every probowl to play for the bills like you want. I know you LOVE the redkins logic but this is the redskins.

You're *****ing for the sake of *****ing again.

Man, it's difficult to get a point across to you.

First, Wire has been on the team for MORE than just one year. And he has been mediocre for his entire career. You act like football started when Marv took over as GM. It didn't. These guys have a history and some of them have been mediocre for 4 or 5 years now. But that doesn't stop you from rushing to their defense.

Second, having special teams is nice, but at some point it becomes a liability. When we keep Coy Wire on the team because of his ST ability and then he's the only back up we have when there is an injury, we just screwed ourselves. Last year, we had problems at both LB and S with injuries because the only guys to fill in were ST'ers with little to no defensive skill.

Finally, and most importantly, there is a happy medium between Coy Wire and what the Redskins do. Just because we don't go out there and throw a ton of money at guys like London Fletcher and Adam Archuleta doesn't mean we have to settle for guys like Coy Wire. In your world, it's "pay everyone" or "pay no one" and that's not the real world.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree partially with Op. Although it is common for players to gain and drop weight in the NFL, it is a much different story when the player has to gain 20-30 lbs! Look how small Coy Wires frame is; it's like trying to squeeze 80lbs of **** into a 20 lb drum. Peters is an exception, he has the frame necessary to add the extra lbs. In my mind, I'm hoping that the weight Wire puts on doesn't slow down or hinder his true God given ability and talent which lies on Special Teams.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

First, Wire has been on the team for MORE than just one year. And he has been mediocre for his entire career. You act like football started when Marv took over as GM. It didn't. These guys have a history and some of them have been mediocre for 4 or 5 years now. But that doesn't stop you from rushing to their defense.

Second, having special teams is nice, but at some point it becomes a liability. When we keep Coy Wire on the team because of his ST ability and then he's the only back up we have when there is an injury, we just screwed ourselves. Last year, we had problems at both LB and S with injuries because the only guys to fill in were ST'ers with little to no defensive skill.

Finally, and most importantly, there is a happy medium between Coy Wire and what the Redskins do. Just because we don't go out there and throw a ton of money at guys like London Fletcher and Adam Archuleta doesn't mean we have to settle for guys like Coy Wire. In your world, it's "pay everyone" or "pay no one" and that's not the real world.

that's stupid. You wanted to bring in a lb'er r that the great Polian cut and yet you are *****ing about Wire who at least is an ST ace?

You cannot bring in 54 starters in one team unless it's the probowl. Some of them will be st ACE's and some of them will be back-ups. It's that simple.

Wire is ONE MAJOR REASON we have been NO.1 twice in the last 3 years on ST. As usual your are looing for a reason to ***** again.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

That isn't true. There is a new trend in the NFL in case you haven't noticed, teams are starting to realize the importance of good special teams play. Just look at the Bears selection of Devin Hester and Miami's selection of Ted Ginn Jr. It doesn't hurt to have a player who can become a game breaker on ST. In Coy Wires defense he is a great Special Teamer but on defense he would be much better suited on the sidelines.

Bulldog
07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree partially with Op. Although it is common for players to gain and drop weight in the NFL, it is a much different story when the player has to gain 20-30 lbs! Look how small Coy Wires frame is; it's like trying to squeeze 80lbs of **** into a 20 lb drum. Peters is an exception, he has the frame necessary to add the extra lbs. In my mind, I'm hoping that the weight Wire puts on doesn't slow down or hinder his true God given ability and talent which lies on Special Teams.

Wire added roughly ten pounds. And I'm pretty sure he played at that weight when he played LB in college. It's really not that big of a deal. Man, can football start already?

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
We already drafted Poz. Wire is just trying to add more value to himself and the team by adding more pounds so he won't be pushed around if he has to come in as a lb'er. That's a good thing.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Wire added roughly ten pounds. And I'm pretty sure he played at that weight when he played LB in college. It's really not that big of a deal. Man, can football start already?

He added 10 lbs for what? To be an undersized linebacker? Exactly how much weight does he need to add to be at average weight? This is my point, Buffalo is trying to turn Coy Wire into something that he isn't.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
We already drafted Poz. Wire is just trying to add more value to himself and the team by adding more pounds so he won't be pushed around if he has to come in as a lb'er. That's a good thing.

Last I checked Wire is competing to start at LB somewhere. Same with DiGorgio, Poz, Crowell and Ellison. Buffalo oughta set him aside and tell him just to focus on ST's because that is where he is useful at.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Last I checked Wire is competing to start at LB somewhere. Same with DiGorgio, Poz, Crowell and Ellison. Buffalo oughta set him aside and tell him just to focus on ST's because that is where he is useful at.
and??? Wasn't it the same thing with Peters? He was a TE that they tried to convert into an LT? How did that go? The worse thing that can happen is that he becomes depth.

You a looking at this from a different POV. Try this, He's an ST ace who might be able to add depth in the lb'ing position. How is that a bad thing?

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
That isn't true. There is a new trend in the NFL in case you haven't noticed, teams are starting to realize the importance of good special teams play. Just look at the Bears selection of Devin Hester and Miami's selection of Ted Ginn Jr. It doesn't hurt to have a player who can become a game breaker on ST. In Coy Wires defense he is a great Special Teamer but on defense he would be much better suited on the sidelines.

it isn't true if you have the right players. You need guys who can play both. We currently don't have that- we traded defensive depth for ST ability and it showed on the field.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
and??? Wasn't it the same thing with Peters? He was a TE that they tried to convert into an LT? How did that go? The worse thing that can happen is that he becomes depth.

You a looking at this from a different POV. Try this, He's an ST ace who might be able to add depth in the lb'ing position. How is that a bad thing?

because he's already proven that he isn't good at LB. but you just ignore that.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
because he's already proven that he isn't good at LB. but you just ignore that.
what? They just experimented with him a lb'er in the middle of last last year and based on his weight he obviously wasn't ready. . He never had a chance you practice that position in the right weight til now unless you have a source too.

The coaches are experimenting with him just like they did with Peters who didn't light it up right away. I don' expect Wire to be a starter but it would be nice if he can add depth to the lb'er position.

I forget, everyone who doesn't play like a probowler in their first year sucks unless his name is Losman. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
what? They just experimented with him a lb'er in the middle of last last year and based on his weight he obviously wasn't ready. . He never had a chance you practice that position in the right weight til now unless you have a source too.

The coaches are experimenting with him just like they did with Peters who didn't light it up right away. I don' expect Wire to be a starter but it would be nice if he can add depth to the lb'er position.

I forget, everyone who doesn't play like a probowler in their first year sucks unless his name is Losman. :rolleyes:

Um, Wire has had 4 YEARS, not 1. And if he wasn't ready, the coaches have no business "experimenting" when games are on the line. It's a cop out- rather than finding a backup LB (or a new starter to bump someone down the depth chart), they give Coy Wire some weight gainer and lock him in the gym. Great.

And I don't know why you keep hammering me about Losman- I've been plenty critical of him too. But just keep spreading false information - I don't mind :rolleyes:

Yasgur's Farm
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Wire played well at LB last season... I'm looking forward to seeing more this year. At 221 he's almost the ideal size and speed for Tampa 2.

Stop being so neg.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM

It's much different with Peters. They drafted Peters as a project. He had the frame, size and speed to become an elite OT. If you're trying to assert that Coy Wire has all the tools to become an elite LB you're sadly mistaken. He is a ST ace for sure, that's why I want him to stay at what weight is not only comfortable but optimal for ST's play.

PECKERWOOD
07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Wire played well at LB last season... I'm looking forward to seeing more this year. At 221 he's almost the ideal size and speed for Tampa 2.

Stop being so neg.

Draz much respect for you but Wire did not play well at LB last season.

Yasgur's Farm
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Difference of opinion.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Um, Wire has had 4 YEARS, not 1.
And if he wasn't ready, the coaches have no business "experimenting" when games are on the line. It's a cop out- rather than finding a backup LB (or a new starter to bump someone down the depth chart), they give Coy Wire some weight gainer and lock him in the gym. Great.

And I don't know why you keep hammering me about Losman- I've been plenty critical of him too. But just keep spreading false information - I don't mind :rolleyes:
this is why it's usueless to talk to you sometimes because you can't comprehend. He's played lb'er for half a season and 3 1/2 years as a crappy safety player who was still a major reason for our ST being no.1. Let's just bring in a Polian reject , like you wanted. :rolleyes:

Yeah let's not experiment. Heaven knows a multiple position player can't help a team. How dare they try to experiment Peters :rolleyes:

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
What's the problem here? Instead of keeping Wire at S, where he's nothing special, have him add weight and try him out at LB where he played in college.

mysticsoto
07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Draz much respect for you but Wire did not play well at LB last season.

I agree with Draz, actually. I'm not going to claim that Wire played like Urlacher or any elite LB, but he did okay/average - pretty much what you might want/expect from a backup - which is what he is. I know we are not used to using the word speed with Wire at the same time - but that's only b'cse at the safety position, speed is something he was severely lacking. However, at LB, it becomes different and he actually has average/decent speed for that position. Gaining 10 lbs will help him better tackle and handle blockers. In every which way you look at it, it is a good thing. Having backups that care and put effort into improving themselves for the team, even though they know they will only be backups, speaks well for them and their character.

Coy Wire - I hated you at safety...but so far, you have been okay backing up at LB. I, for one, will give you a chance since you also provide us with superb ST play - which is exactly what you want from a backup.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
this is why it's usueless to talk to you sometimes because you can't comprehend. He's played lb'er for half a season and 3 1/2 years as a crappy safety player who was still a major reason for our ST being no.1. Let's just bring in a Polian reject , like you wanted. :rolleyes:

Yeah let's not experiment. Heaven knows a multiple position player can't help a team. How dare they try to experiment Peters :rolleyes:

Peters was a "multiple position player" for like 3 games before they made him a full time lineman.

Players can- Coy Wire cant

And like it or not, Polians rejects are better than our guys.

ParanoidAndroid
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Wire was great on the goal line against the run as a safety. He hits the RB like a linebacker. He's always been a liability trying to cover receivers but is good against the run. whether he can make those linebacker instincts and abilities work for him and the team at this point is worth finding out. He could make for a good back up along with DiGiorgio.

P.S. Op.....your negativity this time, is absolutely pointless. Sometimes you might have beef, but not this time. You're eating chicken today.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree with Draz, actually. I'm not going to claim that Wire played like Urlacher or any elite LB, but he did okay/average - pretty much what you might want/expect from a backup - which is what he is. I know we are not used to using the word speed with Wire at the same time - but that's only b'cse at the safety position, speed is something he was severely lacking. However, at LB, it becomes different and he actually has average/decent speed for that position. Gaining 10 lbs will help him better tackle and handle blockers. In every which way you look at it, it is a good thing. Having backups that care and put effort into improving themselves for the team, even though they know they will only be backups, speaks well for them and their character.

Coy Wire - I hated you at safety...but so far, you have been okay backing up at LB. I, for one, will give you a chance since you also provide us with superb ST play - which is exactly what you want from a backup.
Exactly, he's a back up and wants to add more bulk to be able to play better as a back-up. If he's expected to start than I'll jump on the OP bandwagon.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Peters was a "multiple position player" for like 3 games before they made him a full time lineman.

Players can- Coy Wire cant. here you go again acting like you know first hand compared to the coaches. Let him play in training camp and see what happens than just trust you.

And like it or not, Polians rejects are better than our guys. that's stupid.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
here you go again acting like you know first hand compared to the coaches. Let him play in training camp and see what happens than just trust you.

that's stupid.

I really hope you're not trying to insinuate that John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison are better than Cato June, because if so you are the biggest homer ever.

The coaches are working with what they have- that doesn't make what they have good enough.

Meathead
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
running total 4

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I really hope you're not trying to insinuate that John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison are better than Cato June, because if so you are the biggest homer ever.

The coaches are working with what they have- that doesn't make what they have good enough.
not Cato June but that other reject you wanted to bring in for a look.

I will however not count out the possibility of either becoming just as good if not better than June. I know that won't happen to the bills as far as you're concerend.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
not Cato June but that other reject you wanted to bring in for a look.

I will however not count out the possibility of either becoming just as good if not better than June. I know that won't happen to the bills as far as you're concerend.

It may, but it sure as hell won't happen in time to save this season.

ParanoidAndroid
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
haha....June is hardly a reject. Was Washington a reject, too?
Are you impressed with who is going to line up for them this year? I'm not.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
It may, but it sure as hell won't happen in time to save this season.

anything can happen.

Bulldog
07-17-2007, 02:59 PM

What the hell is so great about Cato June? He garnered hardly any interest as a FA and signed for peanuts compared to some of the contracts that got handed out this past offseason. Some of you people are never happy. If Buffalo had signed him, all we would have heard from you is how he was the main reason that Indy's run defense was god awful for the better part of last year. Cato June is no better that what Buffalo currently has on the roster.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
What the hell is so great about Cato June? He garnered hardly any interest as a FA and signed for peanuts compared to some of the contracts that got handed out this past offseason. Some of you people are never happy. If Buffalo had signed him, all we would have heard from you is how he was the main reason that Indy's run defense was god awful for the better part of last year. Cato June is no better that what Buffalo currently has on the roster.

Not from me- You would have heard "Thank God we don't have John DiGiorgio starting."

June isn't exactly Urlacher or Merriman but he's better than anyone we currently have at LB.

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I thought I was starting an innocuous thread.

Bulldog
07-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Not from me- You would have heard "Thank God we don't have John DiGiorgio starting."

June isn't exactly Urlacher or Merriman but he's better than anyone we currently have at LB.

How do you figure? Is this the same Cato June that got benched in Indy last year? It's not like Indy has a plethera of talent at the LB position.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 03:05 PM
June isn't exactly Urlacher or Merriman but he's better than anyone we currently have at LB. that's a matter of opinion.

They had the worst run D and maybe their lb'ers had something to do with it.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 03:07 PM
that's a matter of opinion.

They had the worst run D and maybe their lb'ers had something to do with it.

and maybe our LB's had something to do with our bad run D. We got cheaper but it's impossible to argue that we got better.

I still say it starts with the DT's though and they still suck, so our LB's will look horrible in mop up duty.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
How do you figure? Is this the same Cato June that got benched in Indy last year? It's not like Indy has a plethera of talent at the LB position.

John DiGiorgio? Keith Ellison? Poz (who has never played a down of NFL football)? You might be able to make a case for Crowell- that's it.

Hell, we're talking about COY ****ING WIRE playing LB. If that doesn't tell you how bad it is, I don't know what else to say.

Bulldog
07-17-2007, 03:24 PM
John DiGiorgio? Keith Ellison? Poz (who has never played a down of NFL football)? You might be able to make a case for Crowell- that's it.

Hell, we're talking about COY ****ING WIRE playing LB. If that doesn't tell you how bad it is, I don't know what else to say.

I highly doubt the Bills brass is planning on wire seeing significant time at the LB spot. I'm not going to get all up in arms over a back up LB. But if you want to, so be it.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I highly doubt the Bills brass is planning on wire seeing significant time at the LB spot. I'm not going to get all up in arms over a back up LB. But if you want to, so be it.

It's a microcosm for the mediocrity that we've been seeing in Buffalo for the last decade or so.

shelby
07-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Wire was on 97 Rock this AM. He talked about how he now weighs about 225.

He had been around 218 coming out of college, but had to drop weight to play safety. Now that he is at LB, he has put the weight back on. He was ripped last year, so he must be just huge now.

He seemed very impressed with Poz and Lynch, although he obviously would not say other wise.

And, in bad news for Shelby, he is engaged and getting married next April in Arizona.
:curse::curse::curse::curse:

i hope he has a great season!!!!

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Cato June is better than who the Colts will have starting at his position. It was purely a money decision to let him walk, because they needed every penny to give Freeney that insane deal.

ServoBillieves
07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Should be interesting. At Standford he was quite the player, and, rip it or believe it, he was fairly aware in his position at LB last year.

My only concern is his speed on ST. He may not be a killer tackler, but his speed made it so he could at least distract some blockers and help on gangtackles.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
haha....June is hardly a reject. Was Washington a reject, too?
Are you impressed with who is going to line up for them this year? I'm not.

June is not the reject we were talking about, Gilbert Gardner.

justasportsfan
07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
and maybe our LB's had something to do with our bad run D. .
Yes they they had something to do with it, Spikes and Flethcer.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes they they had something to do with it, Spikes and Flethcer.

and you think Ellison and DiGiorgio are better? They're not- just cheaper.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
and you think Ellison and DiGiorgio are better? They're not- just cheaper.
I'll take young, healthy, and moldable players than older guys, one of whom is coming off a devastating injury, who've been in the NFL for many years and thus find it harder to change.

Saratoga Slim
07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
He was better at LB than at safety. He might be a good fit for this scheme at LB.

one can always hope. I don't see him starting, but if he can be quality depth that's great.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
I'll take young, healthy, and moldable players than older guys, one of whom is coming off a devastating injury, who've been in the NFL for many years and thus find it harder to change.

and you'll also have to take losses while they're molding and more losses if they never become as good as those vets.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
and you'll also have to take losses while they're molding and more losses if they never become as good as those vets.
And that would be any worse than last year?

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
And that would be any worse than last year?

that's the problem- last year wasn't good enough. We need to get BETTER. I fail to see how we did that on D- in fact it's pretty easy to argue that we got worse.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Hard to get much worse than a corp featuring a gimpy LB'er who was a shell of his former self, another older LB'er who needs massive DT's in front of him otherwise he's eaily neutralized, and a rookie. As I've said, I'd favor an initial starting LB'ing unit of Crowell, JD, and Ellison, since they won't be rookies, with Poz working-in slowly. And I'm also counting on improvement from the DL, with McCargo being healthy.

OpIv37
07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
We spent two first day picks on Poz- if he can't win a spot over an undrafted guy cuz of one year of experience, it was a HUGE mistake to draft him.

We don't know that McCargo's healthy and we run a rotational DT system, so even if he's healthy, who knows how much he'll be able to help?

And you didn't even address Clements, while I've said Clements is overrated for years, he's still better than Webster or Youboty.

So we still got worse.

Bling
07-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Yet again Op proves why he's one of the better Bills fans at being unbias. When did Safeties/LB tweeners start gaining and losing major weight like this? That's some major weight.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Regardless of Poz' draft status, I want the best 3 LB'ers starting. And whether Poz proves to be a mistake/bust remains to be seen, AFTER his rookie year.

I'm expecting McCargo to be healthy. And any production they get out of him will be an improvement over last year.

As for Clements, the safeties are more important in the cover-2. You should be talking about them more. Webster in the cover-2 will be fine. Sure I'd like (consistent) Pro Bowl CB's, but that's not happening anytime soon, for any team.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Yet again Op proves why he's one of the better Bills fans at being unbias. When did Safeties/LB tweeners start gaining and losing major weight like this? That's some major weight.
LOL! So Coy Wire adding 20# to play LB like he did in college "proves why [Op] is one of the better Bills fans at being unbias?" Sure.

Last year I told you what a huge bust Culpepper would be and you called me a homer. So I wouldn't talk about being unbias (sic).

TigerJ
07-17-2007, 09:14 PM

It's really very routine for NFL players to change weight from year to year. Occasionally it's unintentional (undisciplined players who make too many trips to Ye Olde Country Buffet). More often they are experimenting with the possibility they might be more effective at a different weight. Older players especially seem to add weight as their style of play changes a little with age. Wire was already on the team but had limited effectiveness as a safety. Buffalo loses nothing by letting him switch back to linebacker where he played some in college (he was also a fullback during part of his college career) and suggesting he gain some weight. Outside linebackers in the Tampa 2 scheme don't need to be 250 lb gorillas, but 218 lbs is a little light. If he were a free agent out there, he's not a guy I would have applauded the Bills for taking, but since he's already on the roster, why not have him put on the weight and see if he can cut it as a Tampa 2 linebacker. He might actually be very good.

Bulldog
07-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Since when is ten pounds major weight for a professional athlete? I'm not saying that Wire is going to thrive at LB, but I'm not ready to get all crazy over a back-up linebacker. With free agency and the salary cap, it's extremely difficult to stock pile players the way teams used to. Players that are viewed as solid depth usually sign else where with the hopes of becoming a starter. It's just the nature of the beast.

Bling
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
LOL! So Coy Wire adding 20# to play LB like he did in college "proves why [Op] is one of the better Bills fans at being unbias?" Sure.

Last year I told you what a huge bust Culpepper would be and you called me a homer. So I wouldn't talk about being unbias (sic).

I think we all can agree that I'm a pretty unbiased poster. I have my bias, but don't compare me to you. I don't always agree with Op, but he calls a spade a spade. He's 100% about Pos, and he's 100% right about Wire. This is the big times. If you knew anything about body types, you'd know putting 20+ lbs on a player like Wire is never a good thing. He was probably at his natural peak at 200. Gaining muscle is pretty slow for a guy like that. Probably 15 lbs of that was fat. It accomplishes absolutely nothing to gain weight like that.

Dr. Lecter
07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I think we all can agree that I'm a pretty unbiased poster. I have my bias, but don't compare me to you. I don't always agree with Op, but he calls a spade a spade. He's 100% about Pos, and he's 100% right about Wire. This is the big times. If you knew anything about body types, you'd know putting 20+ lbs on a player like Wire is never a good thing. He was probably at his natural peak at 200. Gaining muscle is pretty slow for a guy like that. Probably 15 lbs of that was fat. It accomplishes absolutely nothing to gain weight like that.

You are wrong Bling. He is closer to his college wieght now.

ServoBillieves
07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
once again, we're not winning with the guys we have. Most of our starters should be back ups.

I say we give Ellison a chance... Crowell is a great player, and I believe that Poz will make an excellent impact as a rookie. He's incredibly football smart and a solid tackler.

I do agree that there are much better players out there, but we can win with what we have

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Wire is a player who was a washout as a SS and is being tried at LB. I see nothing wrong with having him pack on pounds and making the switch. If he fails, nothing lost. If he succeeds, great.

And as for Poz, no he's not 100%. First of all, the Bills haven't even begun training camp. Second of all, just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he's a bust. If Ginn isn't a starting WR on opening day, will he be considered a bust?

And please, stop it with the "I'm more unbiased than you" stuff. It's embarrassing.

Bling
07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
You are wrong Bling. He is closer to his college wieght now.

And he's still too undersized to play LB.

Joey Porter - 250
Channing Crowder - 235
Zach Thomas - 228

Unless you want to tell me that he's got the natural smarts, skills and heart that Thomas has, he's undersized just like Thomas is.

ServoBillieves
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Wire is a player who was a washout as a SS and is being tried at LB. I see nothing wrong with having him pack on pounds and making the switch. If he fails, nothing lost. If he succeeds, great.

And as for Poz, no he's not 100%. First of all, the Bills haven't even begun training camp. Second of all, just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he's a bust. If Ginn isn't a starting WR on opening day, will he be considered a bust?

And please, stop it with the "I'm more unbiased than you" stuff. It's embarrassing.

I agree completely on the Ginn comment. It's like these quarterbacks who are drafted early. Kolb/Stanton won't be starters right off the bat... but down the road...

Bling
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Sounds to me like he's competing for a starting job with all the replies here. I don't know the situation, but I know that we don't talk up scrubs this much.

If some walk on WR was looking better than Ginn, I'd be infuriated. You think Op is bad. But Ginn isn't competing for the starting WR this year, and Pos is. Get back to me next year when Ginn isn't starting.

I can't help it if I speak the truth.

Bling
07-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I agree completely on the Ginn comment. It's like these quarterbacks who are drafted early. Kolb/Stanton won't be starters right off the bat... but down the road...

Way not to take in the context of the situations.

Chambers and Booker - quality starters in this league.

Ellison? I forget your other LB - Nobodys.

Kolb - McNabb

Stanton - Jon Kitna

If Pos can't win a job that's handed to him, he doesn't deserve to be in this league. Period. Cut him now. He was overrated before 05-06 season by ESPN the mag (want to talk about media bias? PSU hasn't bee Linebacker U in a while... check the history over at the Florida schools. Talk about producing LBs), and he's showing why so many teams said no to him. Only Marv bit the bait.

Goobylal
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Sounds to me like he's competing for a starting job with all the replies here. I don't know the situation, but I know that we don't talk up scrubs this much.
Virtually no starting position will be handed to a player. I hope that's the case for your Dols as well.

If some walk on WR was looking better than Ginn, I'd be infuriated. You think Op is bad. But Ginn isn't competing for the starting WR this year, and Pos is. Get back to me next year when Ginn isn't starting.
So Ginn ISN'T competing for a starting WR job? And he was picked 9th overall? How is that better than Poz, the 34th overall pick, not starting?

I can't help it if I speak the truth.
When?

Night Train
07-18-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm not worried about our LB's or Secondary. I'm most worried about our DL getting jacked up on running plays or applying pressure on pass plays.

Everything else works like a domino effect off the DL. If they don't play well, the LB's and Secondary will struggle. That applies to EVERY team.

Meathead
07-18-2007, 06:01 AM
I thought I was starting an innocuous thread.
LIAR

Meathead
07-18-2007, 06:02 AM
cmon we need three more ******s to step up and make the over/under

what did i scare you off. i know ur out there. i wont make fun of you

Bulldog
07-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Way not to take in the context of the situations.

Chambers and Booker - quality starters in this league.

Ellison? I forget your other LB - Nobodys.

Kolb - McNabb

Stanton - Jon Kitna

If Pos can't win a job that's handed to him, he doesn't deserve to be in this league. Period. Cut him now. He was overrated before 05-06 season by ESPN the mag (want to talk about media bias? PSU hasn't bee Linebacker U in a while... check the history over at the Florida schools. Talk about producing LBs), and he's showing why so many teams said no to him. Only Marv bit the bait.

Since when is Marty Booker a quality starting WR in the NFL? If Ginn can't start this year, thats a bigger joke than Poz not starting in Buffalo. Excluding the QB's, most players taken in the top ten start. If Ginn can't beat out Marty Booker, perhaps Miami is the one who bit the bait.