PDA

View Full Version : Rating both Bills' Losman and his rushing help

YardRat
07-19-2007, 05:58 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills-ratingjplosman-andrushinghelp190707.html

As with obtaining 4 yards per rush, around an 80 rating is the eternal average in the league, so Losman had a statistically better-than-standard '06. Even more impressive is that he did so while accompanied by an underperforming ground attack featuring a back whose ego was much more impressive than his performances, a player who finished 24th overall in rushing. Armed with the universal knowledge that a solid running (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills-ratingjplosman-andrushinghelp190707.html#) game does wonders for the passing assault, the question is, Were quarterbacks with higher ratings complemented by better RBs?

It turns out that each of the 10 quarterbacks with better ratings than Losman had more reliable rushing help: All were unsurprisingly paired with either a stud running back or a solid tandem. For example, the one quarterback to finish last season with a rating over 100 was Mister 101.0 himself, Peyton Manning (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills-ratingjplosman-andrushinghelp190707.html#), and we know that he would still be the best ever not to win a Super Bowl if not for Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai. Damon Huard followed Manning for second (no, really) at 98.0, but Larry Johnson finishing second in the league himself with 1,789 rushing yards assuredly aided him.

Deuce McAllister going for 1,057 yards helped Drew Brees finish third, while fourth-place Donovan McNabb (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills-ratingjplosman-andrushinghelp190707.html#) certainly appreciated Brian Westbrook's 5.1 yards per carry and 1,217 total yards gained. Fifth-place Tony Romo had a running back in Julius Jones who, at 17th in rushing, finished ahead of Willis McGahee, and Rudi Johnson's workmanlike, 1,300-plus-yard season helped free up Carson Palmer to finish with a 93.9 rating.

Guys seven through 10 (Marc Bulger, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills-ratingjplosman-andrushinghelp190707.html#) and Mark Brunell) all had better featured backs than Buffalo did (Steven Jackson, some guy named LaDainian, the two-headed Corey Dillon/Laurence Maroney beast, and the duo of Clinton Portis and the newly emerged Ladell Betts, respectively). All put forth better seasons than what the Bills got from their starting rusher.

Pinkerton Security
07-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Lynch mob baby! ROY, no doubt about it!

TacklingDummy
07-19-2007, 07:19 AM
The book on the Bills was to stop the run and try to make Losman beat them.
That's one of the reason's McGahee suffered. And it's another reason why the Bills had so many big plays in their passing game.

Teams had to play the Colts, Eagles, Saints, Bengals, and Patroits more evenly. Other teams have respect for Manning, Brees, Brady, McNabb, and Palmer.

blotsfan
07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Lynch mob baby! ROY, no doubt about it! No way! Its gonna be Poz.

mayotm
07-19-2007, 08:30 AM
That's one of the reason's McGahee suffered. And it's another reason why the Bills had so many big plays in their passing game.

Teams had to play the Colts, Eagles, Saints, Bengals, and Patroits more evenly. Other teams have respect for Manning, Brees, Brady, McNabb, and Palmer.Yes, and the book on you is take any positive about Losman and turn it into a negative.

Mitchy moo
07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
JP has a better line and Lynch, things are looking up.:bandwagon

justasportsfan
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM

Teams had to play the Colts, Eagles, Saints, Bengals, and Patroits more evenly. Other teams have respect for Manning, Brees, Brady, McNabb, and Palmer.

the reason we had many big plays is because not a lot of cb's can cover Evans.

The reason why Willis suffered was because his mouth was bigger than his game.

Should be an interesting year. I predict that barring injuries, you will get your education on Qb'ing from JP this season.

mayotm
07-19-2007, 08:53 AM
When JP has a great season this year, Tackling Dummy won't admitt it. His dislike for Losman doesn't make sense. Why hate and cheer against the QB on your favorite team?

Edited....attack the post, not the poster. Thanks.

justasportsfan
07-19-2007, 08:56 AM
. Why hate and cheer against the QB on your favorite team?
because he's not 5'9" and doesn't have a mullet.

TacklingDummy
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
because he's not 5'9" and doesn't have a mullet.

Because he stinks.

PECKERWOOD
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
One error in that assessment is that of Brian Westbrooks solid season. Westbrook didn't start getting that many carries until after McNabb got injured. Over all though I agree with the proposition that having a solid running attack opens up the passing game.

mayotm
07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Because he stinks.Your posts stink.

gr8slayer
07-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Because he stinks.
"Stinks" is a bit harsh, how about "still unproven?"

TacklingDummy
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
"Stinks" is a bit harsh, how about "still unproven?"

To some.

duhbilz
07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Didn't Willis have nearly a 1000 yards last year? Would LJ, LT, Duece, Westbrook or anyone else mentioned in that post have done much better then a 1000 yards behind the Bills Oline last year? Much Better? I doubt it. Wouldn't the oposite also be true, that those running backs were helped by the QB play? If JP was only avg, isn't it possible that if he had a QB rating in the 90's it would have hepled in the running game? I think Willis had a poor attitude, but his skill wasn't/isn't a question.

Philagape
07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Didn't Willis have nearly a 1000 yards last year? Would LJ, LT, Duece, Westbrook or anyone else mentioned in that post have done much better then a 1000 yards behind the Bills Oline last year? Much Better? I doubt it. Wouldn't the oposite also be true, that those running backs were helped by the QB play? If JP was only avg, isn't it possible that if he had a QB rating in the 90's it would have hepled in the running game? I think Willis had a poor attitude, but his skill wasn't/isn't a question.

A poor attitude makes skill irrelevant. It doesn't matter how much skill he has when he doesn't give his all on every snap.

PECKERWOOD
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM

I guess we'll never know unless Marshawn Lynch were to blow it behind what appears to be an upgraded OL. Plus, I guess we will have to wait and see what kind of year McGahee has in Baltimore. I would consider their OL far better than ours atm.

duhbilz
07-19-2007, 06:58 PM
A poor attitude makes skill irrelevant. It doesn't matter how much skill he has when he doesn't give his all on every snap.

I disagree he didn't give his all, I think he ran hard. He also took a lot of abuse that no one here seems to care about. Sure he's a football player and sure the abuse is part of the job, but he by no means was a Randy Moss who would yell at everyone else then take plays off cause they weren't giving him the ball the way he wanted it. Willis had a decent career in Buffalo, consider the Bills never had a winning season while he was here.

duhbilz
07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I guess we'll never know unless Marshawn Lynch were to blow it behind what appears to be an upgraded OL. Plus, I guess we will have to wait and see what kind of year McGahee has in Baltimore. I would consider their OL far better than ours atm.

I agree, we'll have to wait and see.

Pinkerton Security
07-20-2007, 12:34 PM

Look what Travis henry (when he was with the Bills and had a line that was not much better than last year):

In 2002: Bledsoe had an 86 for a QB rating, Henry had 1438 yds and 4.4 yd average.
2003: Bledsoe had a 73 QB rating and Henry had 1356 yds with a 4.1 yd average.

Willis did have a bad O-line, but so did Henry, and Bledsoe never performed much better than JP did last year (JP had a QB rating just one point lower than Bledsoe's in 03 when Henry went wild for 1400 yds). I guess we will see how McGahee does behind a better o-line, but it appears, at least to me, that McGahee dances to much and that hinders his ability to consistently get those 4 yard gains that made me love Travis Henry so much.