PDA

View Full Version : Potential Sabres News

Dr. Lecter
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Let me start this post by saying that if you are going to ask me for a link, or even to reveal my "sources," you can save yourself and stop reading right now. There is no link and I will definitlely not divulge sources. (Try to remember I actually am a part of the media).

But I can promise you I would not take the time to post it, nor put my name on the line, without (at the very least) believing the info to be from a reliable source.

You can read the following then make your own conclusions on what you believe to be fact or fiction....but if nothing I write winds up happening, it still does not make the other parts untrue (you'll understand as you read it). It just means things didn't turn out as hoped and tried for.

There are two items.

Item #1)

I am told the Sabres are very close to signing Michael Peca....but there is a lot more to the story than meets the surface, and because of all of this, it is not a certainty.

First, let's start with Peca. He wants to come back to Buffalo. His wife also wants to come back to Buffalo. So, from that standpoint, it is not an issue. Money should also not be an issue from his end.

Now, as far as Sabres management.

I'm told Lindy Ruff is leading the charge to bring Peca back to Buffalo. He wants him badly. Larry Quinn also wants Peca back.

That leaves one guy - of cource Darcy Regier.

From what I've been told (and I almost can't believe I'm even writing this myself), Regier refuses to sign Peca unless Peca apologizes to Darcy for the way he treated him and the organization when he originally left. (I'm assuming he means a "personal" apology, not a "public" apology, because even Regier has to know that would never happen).

Even though Quinn wants him, he also wants to remain loyal to Regier and let him do his job without interference (esecially since Regier just got the extension), so he will not step on Darcy's toes and force Regier to sign Peca. Money also does not seem to be an issue from the Sabres side.

So, sometime over the past few days, Peca agreed to have a "sit-down" with Darcy and the rest of management (I keep imagining Tony Soprano when I think about this) to talk things over and possibly move forward on a deal. I was actually told it was a "coffee sit-down," which sounds even funnier. Supposedly, this "coffee sit-down" either happened Tuesday or Wednesday morning. And since Peca agreed to do it, my source is connecting dots that he's going to give Darcy the apology (or at least smooth things over some how), knowing that after he signs, he really only has to deal with Lindy anyway, and won't have anything to do with Darcy - especially not on a day-to-day basis.

Now, here's the kicker. Guess who else wants Mike Peca? The New York Rangers! The Carolina Hurricanes also want him. Or at least they did until a couple days ago. See, Peter Laviolette (Hurricanes HC) wanted Peca BAD as a third-line Center. The Rangers knew this, too. So, my source was told the Rangers were trying to trade Matt Cullen in order to free up money and space to sign Peca first.....(he was told this before they actually did trade Cullen! Trading him just confirmed it to be true!)

So, what did the Rangers do? They simply shopped Cullen back to Carolina who gladly took him back since he was such a key to their Cup team. Carolina got their needed 3rd line Center and New York freed up about $2.5 mil to use to sign Peca. Win-Win.

So, the race is now on I'm told between the Rangers and Sabres to sign Michael Peca. And from what I'm told, if Peca signs with Buffalo, Lindy has already decided to give him the "C" on his jersey because he feels the dressing room really needs a leader right now. Not sure if being named Captain will have any impact on Peca's decision.

Bottom line of this info: My source tells me to look for Michael Peca to sign with either Buffalo or the New York Rangers by the end of this weekend or early next week at the latest.

Item #2)

Jay McKee wants to come back to Buffalo.

Supposedly, McKee and his agent are trying to orchestrate a trade between the Sabres and Blues. And from what I've been told, they feel a deal involving Spacek would work for both parties.

My source was not sure about how engaged the Blues were in this idea, but did say that it appears this could happen because both players are scheduled to make about the same amount of money (McKee would be about $600K more against the cap).

It would all come down to how willing each side would be to part with their current player. But the bottom line is Jay McKee wants to return to the Sabres.

So, there you have it. Take it or leave it. Interesting stuff and definitely good fodder. Comments?

This is taken from a Coach Sal post on another MB. I can vouch for his credibility, as I trust him as much or mroe than any other poster on any MB I visit or have visited.

The moves are interesting to say the least.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

SabreEleven
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Is this the Losman wins post of the day award?

Philagape
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd trade Spacek for McKee in two seconds

Dr. Lecter
07-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Is this the Losman wins post of the day award?

Please.

Do not compare Coach Sal to LW.

I would not post it if it was not a credible person stating it. I don't and won't post bull ****. You should know that.

Dude
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Sal doesn't **** around.

SabreEleven
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Please.

Do not compare Coach Sal to LW.

I would not post it if it was not a credible person stating it. I don't and won't post bull ****. You should know that.

Just busting your nuts....:calm:

Dr. Lecter
07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Just busting your nuts....:calm:

:assclown:

:mad:

I would send Shelby out to kick your ass, but you would enjoy it.

Dude
07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
If he had posted that Mike Peca was slated to be the next host of The Price Is Right, then I would have called bull****. :D

SabreEleven
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
:assclown:

:mad:

I would send Shelby out to kick your ass, but you would enjoy it.

I still owe her money from the last ass kicking.

Dr. Lecter
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Better send it before the wedding.

I heard she was upgrading from Piels to Schlitz for the reception so she might need the cash.

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I would love these moves. I would hope the Sabres would look for a little money back for McKee though.

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Better send it before the wedding.

I heard she was upgrading from Piels to Schlitz for the reception so she might need the cash.

You're hijacking your own thread.

THATHURMANATOR
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I would be very happy if this went down. Although I think Mckee should wear the C.

Philagape
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Peca was the captain of the Cup final team in 99, so I think he's qualified

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Did Peca grow up with dreams of playing for the Rangers?

Coach Sal
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting this Dr. Lecter.

I haven't heard anything new on this today, but if I do, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Of course, I'm just relaying the info from someone I trust very much....I have no intimate knowledge of Peca, McKee, or what the organization is going to do.

So, if this happens, we'll know more of the stories behind it. If not, it doesn't mean the Sabres didn't pursue it the way I have laid out.

As Dude said, I don't F around (unless I'm with my very hot wife) :D

bigbub2352
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Spacek for McKee in a heartbeat, but isnt Peca coming off another injury plaugued season, i dont know to me money should be spent on someone with some size and youth Peca is just old news, i luved him while he was here but he hasnt done much sinice he left but be hurt

Mitchy moo
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting this Dr. Lecter.

I haven't heard anything new on this today, but if I do, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Of course, I'm just relaying the info from someone I trust very much....I have no intimate knowledge of Peca, McKee, or what the organization is going to do.

So, if this happens, we'll know more of the stories behind it. If not, it doesn't mean the Sabres didn't pursue it the way I have laid out.

As Dude said, I don't F around (unless I'm with my very hot wife) :D

thanks coach, let's hope both things come to pass.:respect:

Michael82
07-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow! I don't what to say. I would love the McKee thing. Getting rid of him in the first place and replacing him with Spacek was a dumb idea. He could come back and already get one of the A's in my mind. As for Peca....he's better than anything else out there right now and would earn the C.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Apologize to the organization? That has to be a joke. If it is the case I just lost any good feelings I had for Darcy Regier. That cannot be true. if it is, then that is truly pathetic.

mchurchfie
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I would take them both back in a minute just for the added heart and leadership alone. No matter how you slice it and dice it they are both classy warriors. I always thought it was Quinn who was behind shoving it up Peca's tuutuu...it was that little sissy Regier all this time.:grind:

don137
07-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I stated a while ago with the loss of Drury and Briere this team could really use a guy like Peca. He has leadership ability, is good on face offs and would be an excellent guy to have on penalty kills plus maybe his wife will do Tops ads again.
Also, the defense really missed a guy like McKee in the playoffs and not afraid to block a shot. That kind of stuff is contagious but no one took charge defensively in the playoffs last year.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
:shakeno: to Peca! he's too old now! when we had him the first time he was 21 he's now 33 and he always gets hurt! and I'll never forgive him what he did to us sitting out the whole entire season when he had one year left on his current contract and then asking for a new 4 Mill. one and when he didn't get his way he pouted like a :baby: and demanded to be traded.

mchurchfie
07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
:shakeno: to Peca! he's too old now! when we had him the first time he was 21 he's now 33 and he always gets hurt! and I'll never forgive him what he did to us sitting out the whole entire season when he had one year left on his current contract and then asking for a new 4 Mill. one and when he didn't get his way he pouted like a :baby: and demanded to be traded.
Dude, you don't have an inkling of a clue what you're talking about.

YardRat
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll pass on McKee, unless he's 100% healthy and takes a pay cut.

I hope Peca tells Darcy to stick it up his ass.

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Dude, you don't have an inkling of a clue what you're talking about.

No kidding.

Peca was a RFA at the time.

SkateZilla
07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
ROFLMAO!..........

who was it that sat out a whole season over contract/money disputes?, what was his name...?,, Oh, PECA!

Bill Brasky
07-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Spacek for McKee in a heartbeat, but isnt Peca coming off another injury plaugued season, i dont know to me money should be spent on someone with some size and youth Peca is just old news, i luved him while he was here but he hasnt done much sinice he left but be hurt
I think you're missing the point... these moves won't drastically improve our offensive productivity... but in reality, this team needs leadership on offense and defense, and both these guys provide that - plus they can still play. Not on a Drury or Briere level, but that's beside the point. They might not be ideal moves from a mind-blowing productivity standpoint, but they will help this team on a different level which can't be accounted for on a stat sheet, which I'm all for.

I really like these moves for one reason -- a big problem for the Sabres this past post-season was that nobody was willing to take pucks, block shots, etc... McKee is a madman at this. The only question is -- can he stay healthy?

Ebenezer
07-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I'd love both moves but with this being Buffalo I doubt either will happen.

SkateZilla
07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Give the "C" to Teppo

clumping platelets
07-20-2007, 04:10 AM
(unless I'm with my very hot wife) :D

Pics :D

Night Train
07-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Todays Buff news is saying Peca wants to play here but his agent was turned away by the Sabres, stating they weren't interested.

Dude
07-20-2007, 06:53 AM
They'll be fine - they signed a new backup goalie. :up:

BuffaloRanger
07-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Darcy is full of it. At the Black Sunday News Conference he mumbled that they were going to look for ways to improve the team. Now the solution is to promote the young guys? While those players might do OK, there is no possible way this team can be remotely near what it has been the last 2 seasons using that approach.

I am waiting to hear Darcy admit..." We let Drury, Briere, and Zubruis go because we have confidence in Ryan and Macarthur. Oh, yeah, and because they only make $700,000 a year."

The Sabres front office is a shining example of utter incompetence. I blame Quinn the most. They got ass raped on the Vanek deal (4 years at 16 mil a year and you could have locked him up before July 1st!) Suck it you low-balling *****!

What about Markov? Selanne! Do something to improve the team! Lightning isn't going to strike twice. Darcy lucked into this team after the lockout when he was "Shell-Shocked" (from a front office employee) by how much the FAs were signing for. Everything fell into place, through mere luck, not because of a master plan. The Sabres can't get that lucky again. Too many teams in the East have improved.

Michael82
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Todays Buff news is saying Peca wants to play here but his agent was turned away by the Sabres, stating they weren't interested.
Damn it! Are we going to sign any freaking vets to make this team better? :ill:

Philagape
07-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Damn it! Are we going to sign any freaking vets to make this team better? :ill:

“I had a general discussion with Darcy as I would with all managers at this time of year,” Meehan said, “and asked if there was anything he felt the Sabres needed that might relate to the players I had not signed, and his response was ‘No, we’re going to go with our people in our organization.’

“So on the basis of that answer, that indicates there isn’t any interest in Michael or any other free agent.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/123243.html

Looks like we're done shopping.

Typ0
07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
what a frigging joke...

SabreEleven
07-20-2007, 09:34 AM

How can you be done with something if you never started?

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
You guys freak out at EVERYTHING... LOL.

I wouldn't have minded him but he is way over the hill skill wise. His leadership would have been nice.

Philagape
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
How can you be done with something if you never started?

We did get Thibault ... at the dollar store

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Is he not a solid backup and an upgrade over Conklin? :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Also in reading the article in the paper it doesn't say when Meehan and Reiger spoke. It could have been at the beginning of free agency. That would really change things wouldn't it? I could easily see them sign Peca still.

Philagape
07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Is he not a solid backup and an upgrade over Conklin? :idunno:

They're both backups who wouldn't make a lick of difference if Miller got hurt

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2007, 10:23 AM
You are right when upgrading at backup goalie they should have gone all the way and signed Lundquist.

Philagape
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
You are right when upgrading at backup goalie they should have gone all the way and signed Lundquist.

What a stupid thing to say.

You go out of your way to say something stupid because I refuse to recognize any significance in signing a backup goalie.

Michael82
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
“I had a general discussion with Darcy as I would with all managers at this time of year,” Meehan said, “and asked if there was anything he felt the Sabres needed that might relate to the players I had not signed, and his response was ‘No, we’re going to go with our people in our organization.’

“So on the basis of that answer, that indicates there isn’t any interest in Michael or any other free agent.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/123243.html

:rofl: Darcy and this front office just took a Stanley Cup contender and changed them to a 7th or 8th seed, that just barely gets in the playoffs and will probably get knocked out quickly. :ill:

GThirst
07-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Have you seen Thibault play? He outplayed Fluery a lot of the time.

He is a great back up. He can be a vet presence and a great fill in good for a bunch of points. Great signing and Miller will enjoy the rest.

Philagape
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Have you seen Thibault play? He outplayed Fluery a lot of the time.

He is a great back up. He can be a vet presence and a great fill in good for a bunch of points. Great signing and Miller will enjoy the rest.

In 13 years in the league, Thibault has a grand total of four playoff wins. He's never won a series. I don't think Thibault will make a difference because he never has in a long career.

RESPONSE: "But he's played on bad teams!"

MY RESPONSE: Yes, and he didn't make a lick of difference from that, which was my point. He was one of the reasons those teams were bad. If Miller goes down, so do whatever chances we have. Yes, that was true before as well, so my point is the signing has no significance.

Earthquake Enyart
07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Peca yes, McKee no.

SabreEleven
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM

but we could have got him at the 99 cents store. :rolleyes:

BuffaloRanger
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
It's not that I am such a huge Peca fan. I actually laughed when I first heard it and thought "the Sabres will bring back that has been to try to get us to forget all they lost". It's the comment that Darcy is "done shopping" tht really pisses me off. That may or may not be true. I may be overreacting a little.

Then again I was accused of overreacting when the Sabres didn't make an offer to Briere or Drury until the last week of June. "They know what they are doing, they are on their own timetable..." I was told - not on this MB.

I'd like to see them sign Markov, but he is rumored to be going to the NYI. Morris is rumored to be going to Buffalo. Gelinas is also rumored to being chased by the Sabres, but he will likely go to Florida again. (From Hockeybuzz.com) I'd love the West Seneca boy Stempniak if the Blues deny his Arb ruling.

I am not advocating adding players just to make moves. There are players out there that could improve the team.

Of course Darcy screwed himself (and us) by having 12 Sabre fwds on one way contracts that would have to clear waivers to be sent down - like Ryan.

mchurchfie
07-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Darcy is a cheap ***** who never had intentions on resigning who we lost and surely has no intentions on bringing anyone in. His wussyass ultra-conservative approach is sickening.:puke:

GThirst
07-20-2007, 10:15 PM
In 13 years in the league, Thibault has a grand total of four playoff wins. He's never won a series. I don't think Thibault will make a difference because he never has in a long career.

RESPONSE: "But he's played on bad teams!"

MY RESPONSE: Yes, and he didn't make a lick of difference from that, which was my point. He was one of the reasons those teams were bad. If Miller goes down, so do whatever chances we have. Yes, that was true before as well, so my point is the signing has no significance.
I said he was good for a few points, not a Stanley Cup.

Back up goalies generally can't bring you a cup anyway. There isn't enough goaltending depth in the league. Sure, there are a few teams that would survive. Anaheim, Giguere and Bryzgalov. Minnesota, Backstrom and Harding. San Jose had Nabokov and Toskala, Preds had Mason and Vokoun. Oh, and Luongo and Sanford(LOL)! But they traded them off, for more skating talent.

Its debatable if Miller is even a Cup worthy goalie. Right now hes a perpetual loser in this bastard of an organization. He is good, in the Eastern Conference were defence and goaltending is poor.

But a general rule of thumb is: your goalie goes down, your team does too.

I love Philly, thinking Biron will take them places. Toskala, Vokoun, and Fernandez will bring a lot more goaltending depth to the east though. Plus a lot of d-men have come over. The East may end up being the best.