PDA

View Full Version : Some Posluszny News

gr8slayer
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Bills head coach Dick Jauron says second-round pick Paul Posluszny "will have to earn the (starting middle linebacker) job."
"We think he's a real nice fit for us," Jauron says. "But he won't be handed a job." Poz should beat out John DiGiorgio for the gig, but may only be a two-down player with Keith Ellison and Angelo Crowell more adept in coverage.

CJW
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Please don't tell me this suprises people!

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
And enter OP.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
And enter OP.

me? Any Bills fan should be pissed if we spent two first day draft picks on a guy who can't start right away and/or isn't an every-down player.

A team like the Patriots that's one or two pieces away might be able to get away with that. But a team with as many needs as the Bills can't make that sacrifice.

gr8slayer
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
me? Any Bills fan should be pissed if we spent two first day draft picks on a guy who can't start right away and/or isn't an every-down player.

A team like the Patriots that's one or two pieces away might be able to get away with that. But a team with as many needs as the Bills can't make that sacrifice.
We are two years away either way so I'm not all that worried about it.

M
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Well here's the quote from Jauron ...

"We expect him to compete," said head coach Dick Jauronhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4933#) of Posluszny. "He's really an outstanding linebacker, he's a smart guy, a competitive guy, he studies hard. We think he's a real nice fit for us, but he won't be handed a job. He'll have to earn the job."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4933

Chris Brown was the one that implied that Pos may only play 2 downs ...

That doesn't mean that Posluszny couldn't unseat DiGiorgio, but it appears the staff wants a smaller and quicker linebacker accompanying Crowell in the package, thus making Posluszny Crowell's backup. If he plays only two downs Posluszny's opportunities will not be as numerous as that of his offensive counterpart.

Let's not start to worry just yet.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Chris Brown doesn't say anything without asking permission.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:02 PM

I'd be pissed if we started any player on the field who isn't the best player at that position . It's simple common sense. Have you forgotten what happened to JP when they forced him when he wasn't ready? If you had your way we'd still be starting Mike Williams and still kept Rob Johnson over Flutie.

SquishDaFish
07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Who gives a ****! We will see when the season comes. Too early to know anything.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Players are drafted based on their FUTURE POTENTIAL . not what they can do right away on day 1. If they aren't ready to start especially in the case of Poz who's only had 1 year to learn the MLB, then he waits til he get's it and beats the guy infront of him.

madness
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Did anybody actually read the whole article? All it states is that Poz might not start in the nickel package(2 LBs) over Crowell and DiGiorgio. I doubt we're going to run the nickel package every single 3rd down and if we are running it, that probably means that Poz did his job on the first two downs and we are in a 3rd and long situation.

Dr. Lecter
07-20-2007, 01:14 PM

I disagree.

Not all 2nd and 3rd round picks are immediate every down players. To think they will be is unrealistic.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd be pissed if we started any player on the field who isn't the best player at that position . It's simple common sense. Have you forgotten what happened to JP when they forced him when he wasn't ready? If you had your way we'd still be starting Mike Williams and still kept Rob Johnson over Flutie.

but it goes both ways.

You don't want to start a guy who isn't the best player, but a guy who cost 2 first day draft picks SHOULD be the best player- if he's not, we shouldn't spend 2 first day draft picks on him.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
I disagree.

Not all 2nd and 3rd round picks are immediate every down players. To think they will be is unrealistic.

we spent a 2nd AND a 3rd on him, not one or the other. The price is too high for a player who can't start immediately.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
but it goes both ways.

but a guy who cost 2 first day draft picks SHOULD be the best player- if he's not, we shouldn't spend 2 first day draft picks on him.

Bush didn't just come in a be the saints every down back. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:34 PM
we spent a 2nd AND a 3rd on him, not one or the other. The price is too high for a player who can't start immediately.
thank heavens you're not a GM.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:36 PM
thank heavens you're not a GM.

yeah, then our first day draft picks might start. What a crime.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
yeah, then our first day draft picks might start. What a crime.
even if they're not ready and then the team struggles and then you'll be complaining all day about your own mistakes. :rolleyes:

BTW, nice of you to ignore the Bush point because even though people think he should've been the no. 1 overall pick last year , his not being their everydown back proves , YOU"RE WRONG.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
even if they're not ready and then the team struggles and then you'll be complaining all day about your own mistakes. :rolleyes:

BTW, nice of you to ignore the Bush point because even though people think he should've been the no. 1 overall pick last year , his not being their everydown back proves , YOU"RE WRONG.

running backs are the same as LB's now? RB's take a beating on every play- that's not true of most positions on the field. Oh wait, I forgot- you don't make distinctions. EVERYTHING is the same.

And I didn't hear you complaining about 6th round Keith Ellison starting last year or any concerns about him being ready, but now you don't think a guy we spent TWO first day picks on should be ready? Please.

madness
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Poz will be starting by the time TC is over.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM

I hope you're right.

justasportsfan
running backs are the same as LB's now? RB's take a beating on every play- that's not true of most positions on the field. Oh wait, I forgot- you don't make distinctions. EVERYTHING is the same.

And I didn't hear you complaining about 6th round Keith Ellison starting last year or any concerns about him being ready, but now you don't think a guy we spent TWO first day picks on should be ready? Please.
I though the runningback positionis so easy that a 3rd rd rb would be an automatic improvement over Willis. Dude, you're getting absurd by attempting to use the "it's a different position " crap. Guess what the MLB is one of the hardest cerebral position on the D.

Why would I complain about Ellison when he did a decent job on the field considering the circumstances. Sorry, I'm not a whiner like you. I see things half full.

OpIv37
I though the runningback positionis so easy that a 3rd rd rb would be an automatic improvement over Willis. Dude, you're getting absurd by attempting to use the "it's a different position " crap. Guess what the MLB is one of the hardest cerebral position on the D.

Why would I complain about Ellison when he did a decent job on the field considering the circumstances. Sorry, I'm not a whiner like you. I see things half full.

yeah, why would you complain about the 28th ranked run D or losing? Seems odd.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I hope so as long as he earns and wins it. When was the last time something like that happened? Oh yeah JP won the job and it did wonders. Op can't comprehend that.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I hope so as long as he earns and wins it. When was the last time something like that happened? Oh yeah JP won the job and it did wonders. Op can't comprehend that.

Chris Brown is prepping us for Poz not starting. If you can't see that, I can't help you. You just don't get it.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
yeah, why would you complain about the 28th ranked run D or losing? Seems odd.
that's stupid. You asked about Ellison and then switch subject to the entire in the entire D when you can't make sense anymore. Guess what, the reason why we were also ranked 28th because the guy you kept *****ing about was a liability. Yeah Spikes was a liability. We're going in circles here.

But hey, what;s the use anymore. You know better than Marv and Fairchild.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
that's stupid. You asked about Ellison and then switch subject to the entire in the entire D when you can't make sense anymore. Guess what, the reason why we were also ranked 28th because the guy you kept *****ing about was a liability. Yeah Spikes was a liability. We're going in circles here.

But hey, what;s the use anymore. You know better than Marv and Fairchild.

Seriously, I can't believe you're defending the use of two first day draft picks for a guy who can't even start and may not be an every down player. One of the reasons why we sucked so bad under Donahoe was wasting draft picks and now you're defending it again.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Chris Brown is prepping us for Poz not starting. If you can't see that, I can't help you. You just don't get it.

Wait, you might be on to something . Chris Brown wrote articles about our undrafted players. Maybe he's preping us that they will all make the team. He also said some things about Briggs or Turner. Maybe they might be joinging us soon.

Seriously OP, Ms' Cleo is not a source.
:rolleyes:

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Wait, you might be on to something . Chris Brown wrote articles about our undrafted players. Maybe he's preping us that they will all make the team. He also said some things about Briggs or Turner. Maybe they might be joinging us soon.

Seriously OP, Ms' Cleo is not a source.

Chris Brown does not say anything without approval from the Bills brass.

He's mentioned this multiple times.

Remember a few weeks ago when he said Moorman was underpaid and then a few days later Moorman had a new contract? That's what's going on here.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised- PR is another concept that transcends your intellect.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Seriously, I can't believe you're defending the use of two first day draft picks for a guy who can't even start and may not be an every down player. One of the reasons why we sucked so bad under Donahoe was wasting draft picks and now you're defending it again.
NO the reason why we sucked under Donahoe was his ego and wouldn't hire a real HC .
Besides, Donahoe insisted on starting JP and Mike Williams. Players who didn't earn their spot.

If you couldn't see that , our disscussion is done. No sense on going on arguing with someone who couldn't see that.

madness
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I hope you're right.

I hope I am too!

Just as in the Peters article, you can see this staff firmly believes in preparing their "soldiers" with all the tools needed before sending them into battle.

Poz's presence will be felt when he can start wrapping people up. I don't think DiGiorgio is on the same level when it comes to tackling ability and I think it's going to be painfully obvious once camp starts.

I've seen Poz play at State a few times and it seems like he always knows where the ball is and is an excellent finisher.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
NO the reason why we sucked under Donahoe was his ego and wouldn't hire a real HC .
Besides, Donahoe insisted on starting JP and Mike Williams. Players who didn't earn their spot.

If you couldn't see that , our disscussion is done. No sense on going on arguing with someone who couldn't see that.

you totally misunderstood my point (big surprise there).

I never said Poz should start because of where he was drafted.

I said we shouldn't spend 2 first day draft picks on guys who aren't capable of starting.

It's another one of those distinctions that throw you off.

John Doe
07-20-2007, 03:02 PM
If Poz is not slated for immediate impact in the nickel package, I have absolutely no problem with that.

It simply means that he is doing his job stopping the run and is worth every penny and draft pick.

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 03:10 PM
" Once the pads are on however, Posluszny could make a quick move up to first team if he puts all the skills he utilized in college on display."

I wonder what Chris Brown is implying with this? Op?

mysticsoto
07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Gr8. You kicked off yet another, "Op Vents" thread that has him pissing and moaning about the Bills record and play this year when TC and preseason hasn't even started yet... :ill:

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks Gr8. You kicked off yet another, "Op Vents" thread that has him pissing and moaning about the Bills record and play this year when TC and preseason hasn't even started yet... :ill:

cuz no one has ever seen anyone on our team play football before :rolleyes:.

If you don't want people to make predictions you might as well shut the board down from January til August- maybe open it up on Draft Day or something.

camelcowboy
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I disagree.

If you need 2nd and 3rd round picks to start immediately that just makes you a bad team

justasportsfan
07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
" Once the pads are on however, Posluszny could make a quick move up to first team if he puts all the skills he utilized in college on display."

I wonder what Chris Brown is implying with this? Op?

Cmon OP. What is Chris Brown telling us since you know .

camelcowboy
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Seriously, I can't believe you're defending the use of two first day draft picks for a guy who can't even start and may not be an every down player. One of the reasons why we sucked so bad under Donahoe was wasting draft picks and now you're defending it again. are we finished with training camp already? Preseason games been played yet? Jeez op let the guy at least compete for the opportunity to be labeled a bust. I have a hard time judging any players before they even put their thigh pads on. Digilio has a year into the system thats why he has the spot now, no more no less. I have no problem making the rook work for it.

venis2k1
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
i wonder what op and justa think about this?

camelcowboy
07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
i wonder what op and justa think about this? sad part is, i could have told you that before reading any of the thread.

OpIv37
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
are we finished with training camp already? Preseason games been played yet? Jeez op let the guy at least compete for the opportunity to be labeled a bust. I have a hard time judging any players before they even put their thigh pads on. Digilio has a year into the system thats why he has the spot now, no more no less. I have no problem making the rook work for it.

the fact that Chris Brown has brought this up multiple times makes me nervous. He's prepping us for Poz not starting just like he did with the Moorman contract.

If he does start, fine, no problem. If he doesn't, well, then our FO botched two draft picks.

camelcowboy
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
the fact that Chris Brown has brought this up multiple times makes me nervous. He's prepping us for Poz not starting just like he did with the Moorman contract.

If he does start, fine, no problem. If he doesn't, well, then our FO botched two draft picks.brown is more of a cheerleader then a reporter. he has had plenty of opinions that have not come true. Brown posted about lynch's character concerns. trading for briggs maybe signing a free agent thats been cut, sure he hit the moorman thing but i wouldn't read too much into the digorio comments. After all losman this time last year was in a open "competition" and he won. poz needs to win the job, which he'll have secure by the first preseason game. imo

ParanoidAndroid
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
This conversation has already been had numerous times. How is this news?

PECKERWOOD
07-21-2007, 01:00 PM

A team like the Patriots that's one or two pieces away might be able to get away with that. But a team with as many needs as the Bills can't make that sacrifice. (typo)*

I think you're reading too much into it buddy. What Dick Jauron is doing is obvious in my eyes, he is making Posz fight for the job. People shouldn't be entitled to ANYTHING. That's a bunch of balogna and if you start handing people things they realize that they don't have to work for it. By Week #1 Paul Posluszny will be the starting MLB in Buffalo barring an injury.

OpIv37
07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I think you're reading too much into it buddy. What Dick Jauron is doing is obvioujs in my eyes, he is making Posz fight for the job. People shouldn't be entitled to ANYTHING. That's a bunch of balogna and if you start handing people things they realize that they don't have to work for it. By Week #1 Paul Posluszny will be the starting MLB in Buffalo barring an injury.

If Poz starts, no problem.

But like I said before, I'm concerned that Chris Brown keeps bringing this up. He's part of the Bills' PR machine and I think he may be prepping us for the possibility of Poz not starting at the direction of someone higher up on the organizational chart.

ublinkwescore
07-21-2007, 05:06 PM

I think you may be making an issue from a non-issue.

Jauron said the same thing about Losman with regards to the starting QB job last season, and look at the results.

BTW, How do you play an outside spot, and not be good in coverage?

I think he'll be fine - he'll make a few mistakes here and there - all rookies do, but by the end of the year, we'll be very satisfied with this pick.

I can't wait til august 10th.

OpIv37
07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I think you may be making an issue from a non-issue.

Jauron said the same thing about Losman with regards to the starting QB job last season, and look at the results.

BTW, How do you play an outside spot, and not be good in coverage?

I think he'll be fine - he'll make a few mistakes here and there - all rookies do, but by the end of the year, we'll be very satisfied with this pick.

I can't wait til august 10th.

I said "if".

What the hell else are we supposed to talk about until camp starts?

ublinkwescore
07-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, there's no if about it, we did spend 2 picks (our 2nd and 3rd) for who ever's it was that we took (Cle.?) to grab Posluszny.

Dr. Lecter
07-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I will never understand why Poz not being an starter on day one makes the pick bad.

If he is an All-pro in three years, who really cares? It is not all about instant gratification and fixing everything instantly.

Jan Reimers
07-22-2007, 07:20 AM
We haven't even started camp yet, for pete's sake, and some are already pissing and moaning about the front office, and Pos, and everything else.

Could we just ONCE, not jump on everything with both feet before the players have even put on pads?

gr8slayer
07-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I will never understand why Poz not being an starter on day one makes the pick bad.

If he is an All-pro in three years, who really cares? It is not all about instant gratification and fixing everything instantly.
I agree, there's nothing in the rule book that says "you must start your rookies from day one." I personally would rather start the season with vets and work the rookies in slowly.

I bet the Bengals are glad they waited on Palmer.

Wys Guy
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
We are two years away either way so I'm not all that worried about it.

We've been "two years away" for about 7 years now since Donadope got hired.

Longest "two years" in the history of sports.

Dr. Lecter
07-22-2007, 10:38 AM
We've been "two years away" for about 7 years now since Donadope got hired.

Longest "two years" in the history of sports.

Which is probably why TD got fired.

GarnOFreak
07-23-2007, 03:14 AM
How many times in Marv's history have rookies actually started games? I know it's a low percentage. These guys (rookies) are behind the returning players in the playbook and scheme by a year. It is only natural that they are going to take a while to catch up. So, no big surprise that the situation is what it is. Chris Brown is merely making an inferring guess based on his opinion. It's not a solid fact. Yes he may have hit the Moorman idea near to the head, but how many times has he been wrong. He doesn't attend the Front Office meetings, so take it with a grain of salt and say "maybe" about it. I don't think that the Team(FO/Coaches) are upset with Poz's ability. He wouldn't have been our targeted as one of our (three)1st round picks at the 12 spot if they weren't sold on him as a player who would fit into our system. The fact that we were able to dupe Detroit into giving us a stud LB for a 2nd and 3rd round pick was a good move. Point is, I agree that we need to wait a couple months before we start even thinking about tossing the word "bust" around( unless we're talking about certain bills going into the H.O.F. Congrats Thurman)

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM

If he does start, fine, no problem. If he doesn't, well, then our FO botched two draft picks.
Multiple times? :rolleyes:

here's the talk on Moorman on bb.com and the other ONCE on his blog.
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player_media.jsp?player_id=17237

Don't try to sugarcoat things to make your opinion right.

He talked about a contract which is completely different from who's going to win this and that job . He has no idea who's going to win the job because the coaches don't know either til camp starts except in certain positions like QB, LT , Wr(Evans) etc.

The jobs are won at camp not in OTA's or not when Chris Brown talks about a player.

If you can't understand something that simple, you're beyond help.

OpIv37
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Multiple times? :rolleyes:

here's the talk on Moorman on bb.com and the other ONCE on his blog.
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player_media.jsp?player_id=17237

Don't try to sugarcoat things to make your opinion right.

He talked about a contract which is completely different from who's going to win this and that job . He has no idea who's going to win the job because the coaches don't know either til camp starts except in certain positions like QB, LT , Wr(Evans) etc.

The jobs are won at camp not in OTA's or not when Chris Brown talks about a player.

If you can't understand something that simple, you're beyond help.

The coaches tell Chris Brown things that they want disseminated publicly. It's that simple.

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
The coaches tell Chris Brown things that they want disseminated publicly. It's that simple.

the coaches don't know themselves who will start , I can't dumb that further for you. Once again, hinting about resigning a player is different from who will start.

Since you are able to read into Chris Browns articles or Blogs AT THIS MOMENT in time , please list who will be the starters from every position and we'll see how right you are.

As time flies I will also ask who will get cut at camp and who won't since you are such an expert at reading into things.

OpIv37
07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
the coaches don't know themselves who will start , I can't dumb that further for you. Once again, resigning is different from who will start.

Since you are able to read into Chris Browns articles or Blogs AT THIS MOMENT in time , please list who will be the starters from every position and we'll see how right you are.

Ok, I forgot nothing is that simple for you.

It goes like this: fans will be mad if Poz doesn't start.

If the coaches think Poz may not start, they don't want to piss off the fans. So they tell Chris Brown about how well DiGiorgio is playing and how much his experience counts. This way, if Poz doesn't start, it's spun as giving the best player the job instead of as wasting 2 first day draft picks on a guy who can't start.

They coaches don't know, but at this point they may suspect that Poz won't start and want the fans to be prepared in case that actually happens. You keep telling me that you trust the coaches over me- well, now the coaches are indicating that Poz may start and you're not buying it. Make up your mind.

Now, from Chris Brown's side, he has unparalleled access to the Bills, but at the price of his journalistic independence.

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Ok, I forgot nothing is that simple for you.

It goes like this: fans will be mad if Poz doesn't start.

If the coaches think Poz may not start, they don't want to piss off the fans. So they tell Chris Brown about how well DiGiorgio is playing and how much his experience counts. This way, if Poz doesn't start, it's spun as giving the best player the job instead of as wasting 2 first day draft picks on a guy who can't start.

They coaches don't know, but at this point they may suspect that Poz won't start and want the fans to be prepared in case that actually happens. You keep telling me that you trust the coaches over me- well, now the coaches are indicating that Poz may start and you're not buying it. Make up your mind.

Now, from Chris Brown's side, he has unparalleled access to the Bills, but at the price of his journalistic independence.

Since everything is so simple for you, please answer my request. Tell me who the starters will be.

OpIv37
07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Since everything is so simple for you, please answer my request. Tell me who the starters will be.

can you read- I just told you- the coaches don't know- they SUSPECT based on what they've already seen and they're using Chris Brown to get that information out there.

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
can you read- I just told you- the coaches don't know- they SUSPECT based on what they've already seen and they're using Chris Brown to get that information out there.

My bad, All I read was, " I know exactly what's going on on OBD, I know what's being fed to Chris Brown, blahblahblah. " :rolleyes:

OpIv37
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
My bad, All I read was, " I know exactly what's going on on OBD, I know what's being fed to Chris Brown, blahblahblah. " :rolleyes:

if Chris Brown says it, it's being fed to him. That's his job.

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
if Chris Brown says it, it's being fed to him. That's his job.

there wouldn't be a chance that he also writes his observations or simnple converstaions with players in his blog. I guess there's nothing I can say since you know exactly what goes on ,on OBD. You have sources too. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
07-23-2007, 10:55 AM
there wouldn't be a chance that he also writes his observations or simnple converstaions with players in his blog. I guess there's nothing I can say since you know exactly what goes on ,on OBD. You have sources too. :rolleyes:

yeah, the source is called "common sense". Apparently you don't have any contact with that source.

justasportsfan
07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah, the source is called "common sense". Apparently you don't have any contact with that source.

haha! Okay Mr/ I know exactly what goes on on OBD. OP, unless you tell me who your sources are, you can't tell me that EVERYTHING is fed to Chris Brown.

You can't tell me that he's prepping us to think this and that and that the FO is responsible for ALL OF THAT.

Maybe he just reported that Digorgio is indeed playing better than POz and that POZ is still learning his position. But nOOOO you know for fact that he is prepping us to think DiG is gonna start based on RESIGNING a MOorman. :coocoo:

Who decides what comment he makes is a simple report or a prep? You? :roflmao:

Whatever , can't argue any further with Mr. Knowitall.