PDA

View Full Version : New Peca info I got today

Coach Sal
07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
On the heels of the info I had late Wednesday night that Lecter helped to post here yesterday. Much of it was confirmed in the News article, so you can trust this info, as well, since it's from the same source:

1. I'm told Peca may had already signed with the Rangers earlier, except for two facts (other than he actually WANTS to play in Buffalo):

First, he knows the Rangers didn't sign Gomez and Drury for all that money to split minutes with a 3rd line Center. He knows they will get the lions share of the ice time, especially with the need to have Jagr's line on the ice as much as possible (with Gomez Centering, most likely). Even special teams won't have a lot of available ice time in NY compared to Buffalo.

He figures he'll be able to play a much bigger role - on and off the ice - in Buffalo. He basically said just that in his interview with the News:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">“I feel like I can help the team in a lot of ways and be a positive influence on the ice and in the community,” Peca said. “With Chris Drury gone, I see myself helping in key defensive situations, key faceoff situations and with leadership." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Also, what I was told was that Peca isn't exactly thrilled with the Rangers blue line situation. When he looks at it from a team standpoint, that situation doesn't appeal to him.

I have still yet to hear one mention about money being any sort of issue in this entire deal. At least not yet. Maybe they just haven't discussed it to that point, yet.....not sure.

2. The News article states that Peca's agent Don Meehan talked "recently" with Regier, but never states any ballpark figure of when that conversatin took place. It also clearly states that they never spoke about Peca specifically!!

So, here's what I'm told about this:

The conversation was extremely general (as even alluded to in the article) and took place weeks ago.....probably right after Drury and Briere left. The conversation was simply something to the effect of "are you interested in any FA Centers right now?" and Darcy responded that he wasn't and was happy with the people they had going forward. That's it. Nothing more to the conversation.

So, all this conjecture about how Meehan asked Darcy if they wanted Peca and Darcy said "get lost" is totally off-base. Darcy himself wouldn't go on record to say Peca's out of the mix. So, obviously, it's still a possibility...and obviously Peca still wants it to happen.

Does all of this mean Mike Peca will be a Sabre next week? Of course not. He may never again be one. But just as I gave you the original info late Wednesday night, you can trust this other info to be pretty accurate as to what's going on behind the scenes.

I have heard nothing new on the McKee front. I'm guessing that's something that will only be pursued if and when the Peca saga is resolved.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Earthquake Enyart
07-20-2007, 02:28 PM
The conversation was simply something to the effect of "are you interested in any FA Centers right now?" and Darcy responded that he wasn't and was happy with the people they had going forward. That's it. Nothing more to the conversation.

I believe this.

Ebenezer
07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Coach. As I said in a different thread...it's Buffalo...it'll never happen.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info coach.

Mitchy moo
07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
thx coach.

clumping platelets
07-20-2007, 10:20 PM
:dizzy:

SabreEleven
08-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Sounds like EVERYBODY was wrong....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/08/22/nhl-bluejackets-peca.html?ref=rss

SkateZilla
08-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Columbus Ohio.... lol...