• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Another bash on Losman

Find out which issues could be stumbling blocks for AFC teams trying to reach the playoffs and Super Bowl.

AFC EAST
    Buffalo Bills: The Bills may have been 7-9 last season, but they had some serious issues that make that record look like overachievement. They had the fifth-worst run defense last season and they gave up a staggering 4.7 yards per carry. You wonder why rookie safeties Donte Whitner (second in tackles) and Ko Simpson (fourth) looked so good? The guys in front of them were that bad. Sure, Indianapolis may have won a Super Bowl with the worst run defense in the league, but that was a first in NFL history. The Colts have Peyton Manning. The Bills have J.P. Losman. You see the difference.
  • cocamide
    • Oct 2006

Re: Another bash on Losman

As of right now, JP couldn't hold Peyton's jock strap, but neither could 90% of the other QBs; past, present, and future. So, I don't think this is that much of a knock on JP.

On the other hand, if JP had 5-6 seconds to throw each down and have someone like Reggie Wayne alongside Evans he would put up much better numbers. Not Peyton's numbers, but they'd be much better.

Comment

• Scumbag College
      • Oct 2002

It is written by Jason Cole, one of the great super geniuses of the modern era...

Honestly, there are so many "experts" writing articles, that you have to take all of these with a grain of salt. So Jason Cole isn't a JP fan, SFW.
      Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• blotsfan
        • Apr 2007

He's right. JP isnt as good as Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning is imo the best qb ever.
        Without hope there is nothing to live for (you can tell I'm a Buffalo guy)

Comment

• duhbilz
          S.Jersey #1 fan of Daunte Culpeper where he may play
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cocamide
          As of right now, JP couldn't hold Peyton's jock strap, but neither could 90% of the other QBs; past, present, and future. So, I don't think this is that much of a knock on JP.

On the other hand, if JP had 5-6 seconds to throw each down and have someone like Reggie Wayne alongside Evans he would put up much better numbers. Not Peyton's numbers, but they'd be much better.

What makes Peyton so good is his ability to think quickly. It's not about having all day to get rid of the ball. From the time it takes him to make decision to the time it takes the ball to leave his hand is minimal. His decisions are usually right. The Reason the Tampa 2 works in Indy is because of Peyton and little else.

Comment

• cocamide
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by duhbilz
            What makes Peyton so good is his ability to think quickly. It's not about having all day to get rid of the ball. From the time it takes him to make decision to the time it takes the ball to leave his hand is minimal. His decisions are usually right. The Reason the Tampa 2 works in Indy is because of Peyton and little else.
            I agree with you. His ability to call audibles at the line and confuse defenses is also uncanny.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

It's more of a slam on Whitner and Simpson. Safety, supposedly, is the toughest position for a rookie defender to play. With that said, if they looked good it's because they're good, not because the guys in front of them sucked. Jason Cole is an idiot.

Comment

• dolphan117
                • Dec 2005

I think its mostly a slam on your front 7. Saying your safeties looked good because they were making so many tackles isn't really a slam on them, just a valid point if they were that high in terms of team tackles.... And I didn't take the Peyton/Losman thing as a bash on Losman either, he was just trying to point out that unless you have Peyton your D is going to have to be a whole lot better against the run than the Bills was last year if you want to make a postseason run.

Basically nothing that many here haven't said over and over, to be a real contender the run D has to get better.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                  Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                  • Aug 2002

I wish we had a defensive scheme that didn't rely on the offense to score points. Seems to me that a scheme that could stand on its own would be a better all around choice.

Can't claim personnel as the deciding factor, either. Levy and Co. have replaced a huge chunk of what they started with. I wish they rebuilt with the 3-4 in mind. Solid linebackers are easier to come by than reliable DT's.
                  Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

i YEARN FOR THE 3-4 again one day

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                      • Mar 2005

Not really a knock IMO

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                        • Mar 2004

Jason Cole was a beat writer for the Dolphins/Miami Herald, but he wasn't a Dolphins homer by a long shot. He used to get called out by a lot of Dolphins fans for being too harsh/realisitic with what the team was doing. He's one of the few writers that doesn't have any allegiances towards players or teams, I believe since he's from California the last team he rooted for was the LA Rams, onced they left he stopped having any favorites.

Because of having unbiased views, one may hate him him at times, but he doesn't talk negative to figuratively hear himself talk. Then again, it's the age old classic that when someone from the media says something bad, they know nothing what so ever and is an idiot. It's the trap that almost every fan falls into, at least the ones that can't get over themselves, j/k

here's what he said about the Dolphins:

Miami Dolphins: The post-Marino era enters year eight. The sum total of the first seven years produced the kind of hangover you get at the frat reunion. Jay Fiedler, Sage Rosenfels, A.J. Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Joey Harrington … ugh, where's the Bloody Mary mix? Now the Dolphins are turning to 37-year-old Trent Green and soon-to-be 26-year-old rookie John Beck to repair the present and future. It's a dicey plan, but no issue looms larger for this team. They have to do something … and fast.

Now if I posted the above I'm curious to see the reactions I would've got or if people thought Cole was an idiot.

Check out what he said about the Patriots. It's not like he's absolutely condemming the team, but he sure isn't shining their knob either like 99.9% of the media either, it seems like a fair review:

New England Patriots: A busy offseason (LB Adalius Thomas, WR Randy Moss, WR Donte' Stallworth and WR Wes Welker were among those added) has made the Pats a popular favorite to win a fourth title this decade. Problem is, the defense is suspect, particularly when you consider that the starting linebackers (Thomas, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel and Junior Seau) have played a combined 53 years. They may know what they're doing, but they may not make it through the season. Young guys had better be ready.

Comment

• cocamide
                          • Oct 2006

The point of the article is to point out the holes in each team, so nothing positive is going to be said about any team, no matter how good they are.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                            • Mar 2005

i read meaningful sports news this is yahoo sports enough said.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                              • Mar 2005

So what's meaningful in your opinion??

Comment

Working...
                              X