PDA

View Full Version : Smith believes investigators are trying to turn Vick on others

Gunzlingr
07-21-2007, 07:56 PM
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Emmitt Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=821) thinks federal investigators targeted Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) quarterback Michael Vick (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5448) to get to others involved in an alleged dogfighting operation.
"He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they're putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else," Smith said Saturday.
Vick and three associates are accused of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines. Vick is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in federal court in Richmond, Va.
Smith, who was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday along with 19 others, was asked what he thought about the Vick situation. He said he believes federal investigators are trying to pressure Vick to turn on the others.
"Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's not the one you're after, he's just the one whose going to take the fall -- publicly."
But Smith also placed some blame on Vick, saying athletes need to realize they have to break ties with some people from their past "because where we're going, it's not for everybody to come with us. You have to learn to cut some of those guys loose. Because the things that they do, we cannot do no more."
Smith, the NFL's career leading rusher, said young athletes have to make decisions about who they associate with because it could harm their careers.
"From an athletic standpoint, from an endorsement standpoint, from an investment standpoint, from a business standpoint, those doors are opening. The question is now, do you want to do the same old junk you've been doing for 18 or 20-something years, or do you want to step into the real world of business and handle your business like you're supposed to handle it?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2944662&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

I guess Emmitt is stupid to think that Vick was only an observer and not a participant.

gr8slayer
07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Screw Emmit, freaking overrated POS, fifth best RB of all time, not even close to first.

ddaryl
07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
It doesn't matter to me if he was just an observer, only bet a couple of times or whatever... he got involved and he a high visibility person...

It was his property, that alone should get him suspended. All landlords are responsible for thier properties.

Bill Brasky
07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
he comes off sounding like an illogical moron in this article. i guess it's expected considering his past indiscretions...

ublinkwescore
07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Emmitt Smith is a turd.

Bling
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree with the fact that Vick probably isn't the biggest dog fighter, but he's still sick in the head. He deserves to be indicted.

LtBillsFan66
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Emmitt Smith.

Crisis
07-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I think this is just another case of the police trying to frame rich black athletes.

gr8slayer
07-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I think this is just another case of the police trying to frame rich black athletes.
I think it's just another case of rich black athletes being morons and not wanting to pay for their crimes.

duhbilz
07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Why is it always everyone else when it comes to African Americans? It seems like every time one gets accused of something thier own race always thinks it's someone trying to pin something on them, like they couldn't possibly be guilty.

gr8slayer
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Why is it always everyone else when it comes to African Americans? It seems like every time one gets accused of something thier own race always thinks it's someone trying to pin something on them, like they couldn't possibly be guilty.
I'm getting tired of it too. I blame Al Sharpton. He has made young African Americans think it's ok to break the law and then blame the great White society because they supposedly aren't given the same opportunities. I personally think talk like that breeds racism and hatred.

For the record I am by no means a racist or hateful person, I just get tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

OpIv37
07-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I guess Emmitt is stupid to think that Vick was only an observer and not a participant.

I think Emmitt was trying to say that Vick is the tip of the iceberg- they got the guy selling a few hundred dollars worth of cocaine a week to support his own habit instead of the Laredo drug cartel that sneaks millions of dollars worth of the **** into the country every day.

Still, I agree that Smith wasn't very articulate and didn't have much of a point. It doesn't matter if you go to one dogfight or 20, if you own the dogs, if you own the land, if you bet $5 or $5000- illegal is illegal.

And so what if they're trying to use Michael Vick to get the dogfighting "bigwigs"? That's the FBI's job. It's what we pay them to do.

dolphan117
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Sorry but if he owned the property and was as involved as the court papers charge he deserves to be indited, whether he is truly the top guy in dog fighting makes no difference whatsoever.

The only way I will have any sympathy for him is if he is found conclusively to not be guilty of any of this............ And I think the chances of that happening are right up there with me ending up in Canton.

gr8slayer
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I think Emmitt was trying to say that Vick is the tip of the iceberg- they got the guy selling a few hundred dollars worth of cocaine a week to support his own habit instead of the Laredo drug cartel that sneaks millions of dollars worth of the **** into the country every day.

Still, I agree that Smith wasn't very articulate and didn't have much of a point. It doesn't matter if you go to one dogfight or 20, if you own the dogs, if you own the land, if you bet $5 or $5000- illegal is illegal.

And so what if they're trying to use Michael Vick to get the dogfighting "bigwigs"? That's the FBI's job. It's what we pay them to do.
Smith has never been overly articulate unless he has a pre-written speech.

OpIv37
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm getting tired of it too. I blame Al Sharpton. He has made young African Americans think it's ok to break the law and then blame the great White society because they supposedly aren't given the same opportunities. I personally think talk like that breeds racism and hatred.

For the record I am by no means a racist or hateful person, I just get tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

Sharpton's a moron. He goes after targets of opportunity but doesn't show any real leadership or address any real problems.

Like DL Hughley said on OnA: "We got Don Imus- that was the one white guy holding us back. It's all smooth sailing now"

(paraphrase, not an exact quote)

gr8slayer
07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Sharpton's a moron. He goes after targets of opportunity but doesn't show any real leadership or address any real problems.

Like DL Hughley said on OnA: "We got Don Imus- that was the one white guy holding us back. It's all smooth sailing now"

(paraphrase, not an exact quote)
The way I see it with the Imus thing, if they can call each other "ho's and *****es" and whatever else how is it any more degrading when someone of another race says it? Black, White, Yellow, Pink, Orange, Green, whatever the color of your skin is we are all Americans. Red, White, and Blue are the only colors I see when I look at a fellow citizen.