X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

#3: Will The Run Defense Be Better?

They finished 28th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game (140.9), 28th in yards per carry (4.7), 28th in first downs allowed by rush (117) and 27th in number of rushes of 10 yards or more (59). Simply put when it came to stopping the run in 2006, Buffalo's defense was significantly below average.

A total of 10 feature backs averaged five yards per carry or better against the Bills last season, and Buffalo will face six of them again this season in a year where the schedule of opponents could prove daunting.

It better be.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: #3: Will The Run Defense Be Better?

no.

Same DL, less experience and skill at LB.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

I'll say slightly better.

The DL has more experience in this scheme now and our LB corps is faster. But that won't catapult us more than 5-10 spots from where we were...I predict we'll still be in the low 20s maybe.

My hope is that the offense plays more ball control to limit the time of possession of our opponent!

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Yes, they will.

There will be a few games where they get run over like last year, and some where they play well, but overall they'll rank higher than last year.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

It's hard to think they could be worse. Then again...

Comment

• Bling
            • Jul 2004

No London Fletcher to get the tackle 5 yards up field, now they'll get into the secondary. I'll believe the Run Defense is better when I see it.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
              It's hard to think they could be worse. Then again...
              the question is this: What did they do to get better?
              Answer: Drafted Poz who may not even start.

So yeah, it's conceivable that they could be worse, or at least equally as bad.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

It all depends on the learning curve of the D's youth and the cohesive repsonse of the defense as a whole.

Having watched football my entire life and playing quite a bit of it as well, I certianly have my doubts. But I've also seen teams lose mounds of seasoned pros (Pittsburgh, New England) and rebound in a way that was certainly unexpected.

But again, that happens rarely.

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

Now C. Brown is flipping script in this article referencing Poz as the starter.

When it comes to the run game, I think Poz will be a very nice improvement over Fletcher. Making the correct calls and putting people in the right place is where we'll most likely see a dropoff. Hopefully Poz's progression is a quick one.

Buffalo's newest and most heralded defensive addition also has the defensive unit confident that strides can be made to improve on their run defense numbers of a year ago.

"I liked our draft what we've done this offseason," said head coach Dick Jauron. "The guys that replaced (those who left) have to step up and perform and we believe they will."

Paul Posluszny is obviously the defensive linchpin of the draft and is expected to man Buffalo's middle linebacker position sooner rather than later. With more tackles than anyone in Penn State history (372) the highly decorated linebacker is expected to have a positive impact on the Bills' run front.

Posluszny made strides through the spring camps and has come to understand what can make the difference in Buffalo's defensive scheme.
                  "Playing here everything is so precise," he said. "The difference between making 80 tackles and 150 tackles is all based on precision and how you run and the way your feet are positioned, so I'm listening to the coaches because we want to be those guys making all types of plays. We're going to do everything it takes."

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                    Now C. Brown is flipping script in this article referencing Poz as the starter.

When it comes to the run game, I think Poz will be a very nice improvement over Fletcher. Making the correct calls and putting people in the right place is where we'll most likely see a dropoff. Hopefully Poz's progression is a quick one.

It does seem that way but I don't know man. No one really knows anymore except Op whether Chris Brown is prepping us or whatever. Anytime an article is written on bb.com , I think we should run it by Op and have him tell us what the article really means. He can tell whether the coaches and players a blowing smoke too. He's that good .Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

There are IFs involved - as in, IF we get and stay healthy, and IF the young guys develop rapidly - but we could be better.

A healthy McCargo should help, Kyle Williams will have a year under his belt, and Triplett came on toward the end of last year.The DEs are respectable, and having the versatile Hargrove for a full season will be good.

I like the linebacking crew of Crowell, Poz and Ellison better than last year's, which had Spikes dragging his leg around the field and a declining Fletcher getting to everything late.

Sometimes young, strong and enthusiastic guys play better than experienced, but aging, veterans.

I wouldn't write this unit off quite yet.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        It does seem that way but I don't know man. No one really knows anymore except Op whether Chris Brown is prepping us or whatever. Anytime an article is written on bb.com , I think we should run it by Op and have him tell us what the article really means. He can tell whether the coaches and players a blowing smoke too. He's that good .Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
                        anyone who disagrees is being spoon-fed and not thinking for themselves. Actually, not everyone- just you.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bling
                          • Jul 2004

Dude, rookie Pos is going to be better than Fletcher? WTF?

Comment

• Lexwhat
                            • Feb 2005

no.

Same DL, less experience and skill at LB.

I understand if you think the run defense won't improve, it's a reasonable opinion...

But why are you SELECTIVELY twisting facts to favor your argument?

When you comment on the "DL," you say it'll be the same. When you comment on the "LBs," you say less experience and less skill. How can your argument hold any weight if you selectively decide not to mention that the DL will have MORE experience.

This is a perfect example of only looking at the negatives. If you were being more objective, I think you should mention that the DL will have a healthy McCargo back (who has been training hard this off-season), and will have valuable experience for both McCargo and Kyle Williams.

Otherwise, don't mention the experience factor at all, for either position.

Comment

• Bling
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                              I understand if you think the run defense won't improve, it's a reasonable opinion...

But why are you SELECTIVELY twisting facts to favor your argument?

When you comment on the "DL," you say it'll be the same. When you comment on the "LBs," you say less experience and less skill. How can your argument hold any weight if you selectively decide not to mention that the DL will have MORE experience.

This is a perfect example of only looking at the negatives. If you were being more objective, I think you should mention that the DL will have a healthy McCargo back (who has been training hard this off-season), and will have valuable experience for both McCargo and Kyle Williams.

Otherwise, don't mention the experience factor at all, for either position.
                              Will Kyle Williams even see the field?

Comment

Working...
                              X