PDA

View Full Version : Robert Meachem Signed

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Saints agreed to terms with first-round WR Robert Meachem on a five-year contract with a maximum value of $11.3 million. $5.71 million is guaranteed.
The Saints have their whole class under contract. Getting in on time was important for Meachem after a summer that included knee surgery and weight issues. He's still going to be Marques Colston's running mate in time, and his performance in camp will help determine how soon that is.Come on Marv, clock's ticking.

Michael82
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
:yawn:

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:16 AM
:yawn:
Yawn all you want but don't ***** if the hold out is long.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2947333

Mr. Miyagi
07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
So who have we signed already?

Edwards
Schouman
Ah-You

Am I missing anyone?

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Edwards
Schouman
Ah-You

Am I missing anyone?
That's it.

Michael82
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Edwards
Schouman
Ah-You

Am I missing anyone?
The only ones that I will ***** about are Dwayne Wright and John Wendling. The fact those two are only 4th and 6th rounders and if they actually hold out...that's ****ing ridiculous! You should be happy with what you are offered when you are drafted on the 2nd day. :mad:

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
The only ones that I will ***** about are Dwayne Wright and John Wendling. The fact those two are only 4th and 6th rounders and if they actually hold out...that's ****ing ridiculous! You should be happy with what you are offered when you are drafted on the 2nd day. :mad:
Not if the team is trying to **** you.

Michael82
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Not if the team is trying to **** you.
What a load of ****! :rolleyes:

billsburgh
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
I can see Lynch's contract taking a little longer to get done, but why is it taking so long to get the 6th, 4th, and 2nd round picks done? these guys should have been done long ago.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I can see Lynch's contract taking a little longer to get done, but why is it taking so long to get the 6th, 4th, and 2nd round picks done? these guys should have been done long ago.
Because maybe the team is trying to low ball them?

Mr. Miyagi
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
You talk like you know this for a fact.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
You talk like you know this for a fact.
Well it's possible, maybe the agents are trying to **** the team?

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM

OP One you must not be. Patient you must be. Strong is the power of the darkside.

streetkings01
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Come on Marv, clock's ticking.I mean come on man!!!!!!!!!!! Marv has stated like a 1000X that he doesn't deal with the damn freaking contracts!!!!:fit:

OpIv37
07-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Actually, with Poz I think it's similar to the Quinn situation. Quinn was expected to go much higher so he wants a contract worth more than where he was actually selected- particularly a backloaded contract so he makes QB starter money in years 4 and 5. There was a story about it on SportsCenter this morning.

I wouldn't be surpised if Poz wants something similar in regards to being paid more than the position where he was drafted. Please note- this is all speculation on my part. I haven't read or heard anything that suggests this is actually what is happening with Poz- it's just a possibility based on the similarities with the Quinn situation. (The Quinn part is true- as I said it was on ESPN).

TedMock
07-24-2007, 11:58 AM
It's nice that guys like Meachum and Davis were signed, but they were drafted 27th and 30th, respectively. Lynch went 12th. I read rumors that Gaines Adams, LaRon Landry and Ted Ginn were all close. 6, 8, and 9, I believe. That's more like it. I'm hoping they sign asap. That will give us more to work with. It's the same routine every year, so I'm not overly concerned. If Lynch goes further out than 7-10 days after camp, I'll get worried. Missing a week is pretty routine these days.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Actually, with Poz I think it's similar to the Quinn situation. Quinn was expected to go much higher so he wants a contract worth more than where he was actually selected- particularly a backloaded contract so he makes QB starter money in years 4 and 5. There was a story about it on SportsCenter this morning.

I wouldn't be surpised if Poz wants something similar in regards to being paid more than the position where he was drafted. Please note- this is all speculation on my part. I haven't read or heard anything that suggests this is actually what is happening with Poz- it's just a possibility based on the similarities with the Quinn situation. (The Quinn part is true- as I said it was on ESPN).

if that's the case I wonder if teams should give players they supposedly reached for discounted salary like Ginn :idunno:

Poz should actually give us a discount for giving up a pick to move up and take him.

OpIv37
07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
if that's the case I wonder if teams should give players they supposedly reached for discounted salary like Ginn :idunno:

Poz should actually give us a discount for giving up a pick to move up and take him.

I agree but I doubt Poz and his agent see it that way.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I agree but I doubt Poz and his agent see it that way. maybe we can come up with some incentive laiden contract. If he makes probowl then bonuses kick in that would make him get paid as a 1st rounder.

OpIv37
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
maybe we can come up with some incentive laiden contract. If he makes probowl then bonuses kick in that would make him get paid as a 1st rounder.

I've always wondered why players don't get performance based pay, or at least have some big incentives in their contract. I think the NFLPA and agents discourage it.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I've always wondered why players don't get performance based pay, or at least have some big incentives in their contract. I think the NFLPA and agents discourage it.
The initial contract the Chargers offered to Rivers was FULL of incentives. It was something ridiculous like he has to win three of the next four SB's and make the Pro Bowl five times. He of course declined.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
injuries could stop them from achieving those nos? :idunno:

OpIv37
07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
injuries could stop them from achieving those nos? :idunno:

that's true but NFL contracts aren't guaranteed anyway so it's not like there is a whole lot more risk in an incentive-laden contract.

The other possibility is that the teams don't like it because of the cap- if a whole bunch of players make incentives in the same year, there would be some serious cap ramifications.

DraftBoy
07-24-2007, 04:09 PM
So is New Orleans the first team to get all their picks signed? I know Miami was close, but wasnt sure if Ginn went official or not yet.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
So is New Orleans the first team to get all their picks signed? I know Miami was close, but wasnt sure if Ginn went official or not yet.
I think Pittsburgh was first.

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Ravens signed third-round KR Yamon Figurs to a three-year contract.
Figurs, a Kansas State alum, was the nation's best special teams gunner in 2006 and also averaged over 14 yards-per-punt return, better than Ted Ginn. He's limited as a receiver, but likely to unseat B.J. Sams for a roster spot.