PDA

View Full Version : Will J.P. Losman Become An Elite Quarterback?

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 02:35 PM
It's a question that most national pundits believe is too early to answer. Bills quarterback J.P. Losman is a signal caller that the vast majority of NFL writers aren't ready to stamp as a bona fide starter let alone a quarterback with future elite status.

Even Sports Illustrated's Peter King, one of the more objective national writers, ranked him 20th in his quarterback rankings. While it can't be disputed that Losman hasn't taken his team to the playoffs, he did experience second half season success that should rank him higher than the likes of Denver's Jay Cutler (ranked 10th), Arizona's Matt Leinart (18th) and Houston's Matt Schaub (19th). All three were ranked higher by King, though none of their teams reached the postseason either.

One need only look at the second half of Losman's 2006 season for an indication as to which direction his status is heading as a quarterback in the NFL.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4944

gr8slayer
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Ask me after this year.

OpIv37
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't see Losman as ever being elite but I do see him as a serviceable QB. He's never going to put up huge numbers or be on the cover of Madden, but he'll be solid and occasionally pull off a spectacular play.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I can see him consistently be as good as Chad Pennington was at his best

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Elite QB? No.
Elite QBs are also Hall of Fame type QBs.....Montana, Elway, Kelly, Marino, Brady types come to mind.
Losman is more akin to the Boomer Esiasons of the NFL. Pretty good, but never great.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Elite QB? No.
Elite QBs are also Hall of Fame type QBs.....Montana, Elway, Kelly, Marino, Brady types come to mind.
Losman is more akin to the Boomer Esiasons of the NFL. Pretty good, but never great.
I can see him being another Steve Young as long as he has an above average OL. Okay maybe that's more hope than anything. Brunnel at his best.

LtFinFan66
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
What is considered elite??

Top 5: No

Top 10: Possibly

Top 15: Without a doubt

The last buffalo fan
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Jim Harbough

Philagape
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
I ask only that he helps us win. He can do that.

justasportsfan
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I'll be satisfied with Chandler+ a sb win.

Mudflap1
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Jay Cutler should not be ranked 10th. Not saying J.P. should be ranked higher, but Cutler ranked as 10th without proving squat is ridiculous. Maybe after this year, but not going into the season.

Jon

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
What is considered elite??

Top 5: No

Top 10: Possibly

Top 15: Without a doubt

I guess I was thinking Elite all time....now when you start talking currently...is JP going to be elite among his peers.....I still say no based on what we know to date.

I think there are some slim pickings at QB in the NFL, and Losman is probably middle of the pack right now.

TedMock
07-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't know about elite, but he has the talent to be a pro-bowler every now and then. The physical ability is there. Toughness is definitely there. Mentally he improved drastically last year. Hopefully that continues. There are still tendencies to hold the ball at times, or force one, etc. However, he did make much better decisions as time went on. He was immature when he came out thus putting him behind the 8-ball. To his credit, he worked hard.

Of course we also have to see if supporting cast steps up. No QB can do it alone, I don't care what anybody says. The o-line has to block, the RB has to his job, the TEs have to do their jobs, and WRs have to do their jobs. If most of that happens, I think Losman has the physical talent and the toughness to get guys to follow him. It's a two-way street though.

DraftBoy
07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Id say he's very comparable to Trent Green, not by style of play but by importance and league ranking.

duhbilz
07-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Lets not forget he's only played about 10 games in his career that can be considered above avg. I think it's way way way to early to know what he will be.

ddaryl
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes JP will become an elite QB... he'll go through some more growing pains this year but I expect a vastly improved QB, and a QB that is going to continue getting better.

Screw this poilitically correct JP analysis... JP is the man !!!!

save this post and use it against me if I'm wrong... I want 3 more seasons though.

TacklingDummy
07-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Lets not forget he's only played about 10 games in his career that can be considered above avg. I think it's way way way to early to know what he will be.

More like 2-3 games.

His first year he had a good 1st half against Houston.

Also his first year he had a good 1st Qtr. against Miami.

The rest of his first year was mostly below ave. or ave.

PECKERWOOD
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Yup, without question JP Losman is going to be considered in the top echeleon of the NFL after this season is up.

YardRat
07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I'll be happy if he plays better the first four/five games of the season this year than he has the last two.

Elite QB's don't **** the bed the first month-and-a-half of the season on an annual basis.

Philagape
07-24-2007, 09:05 PM
JP did fine in three of the first four games

X-Era
07-25-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't see Losman as ever being elite but I do see him as a serviceable QB. He's never going to put up huge numbers or be on the cover of Madden, but he'll be solid and occasionally pull off a spectacular play.

Love your posts man, but I gotta say the term "serviceable" is one of the most annoying phrases.

I just dont agree, I really think we will see him step even farther forward this year. Ill take it one more step and say something you probably will agree with, he HAS to.

I cant argue for a decade that we need a 1st round QB because its such a critical position, it has to be a guy that can force wins, etc... and then be content with "serviceable"

I firmly believe Jim Kellys will led the team to many wins. I remember him jacking the team up by its jock straps at times when they played dumb and then leading us to wins. Losman has that same type of attitude to the game. Hes a fiery competitor and I love that type of player. He was kept quiet by Moulds, and some others, they are gone, Lynch is a rook, I see him getting much more verbal. Thats what we have needed for so long.

But I will stop you before you say it, yes, he only can lead that way when his play backs up his mouth. Thats why its critical for his play to step even farther up.

No, I disagree. Losmans got enough of what he needs around him now to play at a Carson Palmer level. Now, I do think that we need to see that o-line play before saying they are all we need. That right side is still a question mark and if Dockery gets dinged, uhh ohh. Even worse would be Peters getting injured.

I think we have alot of potential, but it must come together. Im hopeful considering how well Jauron kept the team together during last years ups and down, the post bye turn around needs to be credited to Jauron. The fact that the team didnt bail on each other is another credit to Jauron. I think it will all come together. I think Losman built enough credibility from the end of last year to earn a leadership role at the start of this year, I think he will make that step and the team wont question it.

Stewie
07-25-2007, 07:10 AM
A quarterback is only as good as his protection. JP will have a good year. If the probowl wasn't such a popularity contest, he'd have a shot at as the afc's 3rd qb, potentially fighting against carson palmer for that spot.

!Papacrunk!
07-25-2007, 07:13 AM
A quarterback is only as good as his protection. JP will have a good year. If the probowl wasn't such a popularity contest, he'd have a shot at as the afc's 3rd qb, potentially fighting against carson palmer for that spot.

at times it seems like it's mostly a popularity contest when players from the team one roots for don't make the ProBowl

Stewie
07-25-2007, 07:18 AM
at times it seems like it's mostly a popularity contest when players from the team one roots for don't make the ProBowl

no, its a popularity contest because guys like vince young with his 80qb rating make it... same thing with vick his rookie year

Meathead
07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
flutie with five more inches

Pinkerton Security
07-25-2007, 08:24 AM
no, its a popularity contest because guys like vince young with his 80qb rating make it... same thing with vick his rookie year

exactly, except for the fact that he had a 66 qb rating.

TacklingDummy
07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
exactly, except for the fact that he had a 66 qb rating.

And except for the fact that they helped their team win. The most important stat. of all.

QB's that have an career record of 8-16 with 1 win coming against a team above .500 don't make the Pro-Bowl.

YardRat
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
JP did fine in three of the first four games

Oh puh-leeze. I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat, look at these stats yeah but look at these plays pissing match, but 'fine' is a definite reach.

The next step I'm looking for from Losman is playing well right out of the gate, which he hasn't done the last two years.

Just for the record, I expect him to play better this year over the first month of the season than he did in '06 or '05.

TacklingDummy
07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh puh-leeze. I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat, look at these stats yeah but look at these plays pissing match, but 'fine' is a definite reach.

How low some Bills fans expectations are.

duhbilz
07-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Just for the record, I expect him to play better this year over the first month of the season than he did in '06 or '05.

Even considering the schedule? I think if he plays at the level most Bill fans expect him to play this year from week one, then I agree he's turned the corner. If he doesn't, then I think he'll be back at square one IMO, not good.

YardRat
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Even considering the schedule? I think if he plays at the level most Bill fans expect him to play this year from week one, then I agree he's turned the corner. If he doesn't, then I think he'll be back at square one IMO, not good.

Yes, even considering the schedule. The team may not have more wins or less losses then the previous two years, but Losman should be playing better.

Philagape
07-25-2007, 07:31 PM

Not as much as "**** the bed."

duhbilz
07-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Yes, even considering the schedule. The team may not have more wins or less losses then the previous two years, but Losman should be playing better.

It's seems to me you're putting JP on a different level then anyone on the team. I'm not sure I see things the same. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.