X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Are Bills NFL's Sleeper Team in 2007?

Although the Bills aren't getting a lot of love from the national media heading into Dick Jauron's second training camp, I think there is legitimate reason to think this will be a .500 season or even better, even with one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.

First the obvious; J.P. Losman is beginning to look like the real deal, both on and off the field, and quarterback is what it's all about in the NFL.

Defensive coaches look for ways to pressure them as much as possible, and hurt them if they can.

Offensive coaches look for ways to protect their qb's, first and foremost, because they all know if their guy gets knocked around a lot, he'll make mistakes, and eventually get knocked out of a game or even a season.

Dick Jauron, and by extension gm Marv Levy, seems to grasp that concept much better than Mike Mularkey or Gregg Williams before him.

Throw Ralph Wilson in there too, because he's the one who had to write the check to sign free agent left guard Derrick Dockery to the 7-year, $49 million dollar that included a $13 million signing bonus.

While Dockery's signing was an eye-opener in terms of the money, virtually all football people think he will instantly upgrade an inconsistant offensive line.

Right tackle Langston Walker was another $25 million over five years, and while he isn't regarded the "sure thing" Dockery is, he'll be an upgrade at the very least.

The hidden gem in the whole deal is left tackle Jason Peters, now signed long term and clearly a player who will be coveted by others -- if not already -- very soon.

It's no coincidence Losman's second half of last season was such an eye opener, because it's about that time the Bills moved Peters to the left side, where J.P. had been getting killed.

At least we did learn that Losman can not only take a hit, but take hit after hit and seldom show he felt a thing. He took every snap last season, which is really a remarkable feat considering how much punishment he took.

Top quarterbacks always share the common trait of toughness, and even though J.P. does things that make you scratch your head at times, he is one tough customer.

Don't think his teammates havn't noticed.

Lo and behold, it turns out Losman is pretty solid when he actually has a little time to throw, and throw he will this coming season.....

• gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Are Bills NFL's Sleeper Team in 2007?

God I hope so, might save the team from being moved if we start winning soon.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

is it possible? Yes.

Is it likely? Hell no.

Even if this team miraculously makes the playoffs, they have no playoff experience and won't make it past the first round.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

.500 team or even better
        Most definitely! We are going to surprise any team (or fan) that sleeps on us this year.

They played the good teams tough, losing at Indy by a point, by three to the Chargers while beating a physically tough Jacksonville team and blowing out the Jets at the Meadowlands.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

If anyone said that the bills will be competitive and will be competing for a playoff spot last year, people would've said they're on drugs.

After a year under the same system and the coaches getting more familiar with the players and payers with each other , barring injuries it's not at all unrealistic to think we can once again be competitive escpecially if the OL lives up to it's potential and Lynch is able to do what Bush did for NO last year.

There are a lot of if's but the same goes for the rest of the other AFCE teams.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• John Doe
            Florida Man
            • Jul 2002

I don't think that any team will be taking the Bills lightly this season.

They played well enough last year to open some eyes around the league, particularly when they thumped a playoff team (Jets) on the road near the end of the season.

The national media may not give the Bills much respect, but the other teams in the league will certainly do so.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

I think that we will be an overall better team than last years. I don't see any reason why we can't shoot for the stars by getting to 8-8...

p.s. what happened to the good ole' days when we consistently won 10 games? Why the **** did Kelly ever have to retire?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I think 8-8 for us would be an amazing year, we are a year away imo from really shocking the NFL
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  I think 8-8 for us would be an amazing year, we are a year away imo from really shocking the NFL
                  I think we are still two away.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

If things go right this year, we can do it in 2008.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      At least we did learn that Losman can not only take a hit, but take hit after hit and seldom show he felt a thing. He took every snap last season, which is really a remarkable feat considering how much punishment he took.

Top quarterbacks always share the common trait of toughness, and even though J.P. does things that make you scratch your head at times, he is one tough customer.

Don't think his teammates havn't noticed.

Lo and behold, it turns out Losman is pretty solid when he actually has a little time to throw, and throw he will this coming season...
                      Great points, though they rarely go noticed by the national media because the team has sucked for the better part of a decade.

Things are on the upswing, but I still don't see more than 8 wins this year... too young, too tough of a schedule, and there is still a learning curve... not to mention a lot needs to be proven on the defensive side of the ball where there are some MAJOR problem areas/weaknesses.

We're still a year or two away from being a legit playoff contender - by legit I mean making the playoffs and having a shot to win a game (or two)

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Bills are going to surprise and I believe the Raiders are an underrated team as well. I LOVED the Raiders draft this season, they got a ton of quality players.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

No.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Bling
                            • Jul 2004

The Bills were it two years ago... Mularkey then bailed on Buffalo. Miami was it last year... Saban then bailed on Miami. It's 2007, are the Bills the sleeper team?

Now if you want to talk stats, you drop three of your five best defensive players, your second best offensive option is traded (which I don't blame the Bills for doing, but Lynch still has to prove himself), add an O-lineman that's never been to the Pro Bowl, and you're going to surprise people? The only thing going for the Bills is just youth and hope for this "experience". Too bad every other team in the league is getting "experience" from the same system. Or maybe they're getting better coaches to replace their duds. I don't know.

If the Bills want to make the playoffs, they better get a great year out of Losman. He is the only hope they have. Evans is only a WR, Lynch is a rookie, your Defense lost talent to FA and trades. Losman is the only hope.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Are they a sleeper? YES

On O? YES, the o-line improvements, adding a much more versatile RB, Losman growing up fast

On D? Could be, Pos is an upgrade overall but may not be this year due to learning curve, Crowell is better than last years version of Spikes, and we did fine with Spikes and Ellison. Ill make it easy

Crowell, Ellison, Pos > Spikes, Fletch, Ellison

We lost Nate, I hope we minimize the hurt at that spot because we didnt adequately replace him on paper.

So, YES. This is a sleeper team.

Theres one thing that will make this team a playoff shot...HEART.

They have what they need in most places, but they have to play like a team and believe in each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X