PDA

View Full Version : New Contract Offer to Darwin Walker!

bigbub2352
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Marv confirmed on WGR55 this morning that Jim Overdorff has made a new contract offer to Darwin and his agent and they are waiting to hear back, He also said it is possible for POZ and Lynch to be signed before camp tomorrow

Levy On WGR: New Offer To Walker
Nick Mendola - Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:31 AM

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2534

I think this is the right move for Management, give it one more shot, and if it dont work then bye bye Darwin, cant say we didnt try
Now get those draft picks in camp

OpIv37
07-25-2007, 08:30 AM
It would be nice but I've pretty much written him off as a lost cause.

If he does show up and bumps Tim Anderson off the roster, that will go a long way towards winning back some respect.

bigbub2352
07-25-2007, 08:34 AM
I agree and anything to get useless off the feild would be a good thing

Pinkerton Security
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
WOOO HOOO!!! GO BILLS! GO MARV!

Michael82
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow! I was hoping Marv would blink. Let's hope this satisfies Walker, then we can toss Anderson to the curb.... :pray:

madness
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
That would be huge if they can get Walker in here.

"Playing waves of defensive linemen is very important," he said. "We're very good on pass defense. We don't blitz a lot... as a result we don't get burnt deep. Rather than pursuit linebackers as we've had in the past, run-stuffing linebackers," he said. "We'll find out if we have them."

I couldn't have said it any better. Fletcher and post TKO were pursuit linebackers which is why our run defense suffered. Poz, Crowell and Ellison should be great "run-stuffing linebackers" and as Marv said...

"We'll find out if we have them."

Mr. Miyagi
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow! I was hoping Marv would blink. Let's hope this satisfies Walker, then we can toss Anderson to the curb.... :pray:
Marv didn't blink. He just made Walker wait and sweat for a while that's all. Standard negotiation tactic.

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 09:00 AM
I couldn't have said it any better. Fletcher and post TKO were pursuit linebackers which is why our run defense suffered. Poz, Crowell and Ellison should be great "run-stuffing linebackers" and as Marv said...

"We'll find out if we have them."this is why we won't miss losing those 3 starters we lost. Well most likely Clements , but not Spikes and Fletcher.

The Spaz
07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Marv didn't blink. He just made Walker wait and sweat for a while that's all. Standard negotiation tactic.

Exactly.

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
He needs to come in here and get familiar with the system and teammates unless he is being brought in as a back up which wouldn't be that important therefore not needing to be paid more money as a back up. Eitherways, Marv blinked.

gr8slayer
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I'll still take the draft pick over Walker unless his deal is ridiculously low.

The Spaz
07-25-2007, 09:26 AM
How many times does it need to be said "Marv has nothing to do with money and negotiations"?

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
How many times does it need to be said "Marv has nothing to do with money and negotiations"?
But he does have the final decision. If he decides he wants Wlaker here he'll tell overdorf to get a contract together.

bigbub2352
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
i hope the offer is the last year is voided and give him an incentive based raise so he can prove he wants to be a Bill, he is 30 this year and if he isnt a fit here it will not hurt either him or the team if he is only here a year, and we decide to go in another direction for next year, a 6th rnd pick is not good enough compensation for TKO, and if he reverts back to Philly then we got ripped, if he signs it is not so bad, and if he signs and play well it is good move for everybody

Patti120
07-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Although I have not been a fan of Walker based upon his actions thus far, he would still be an upgrade on the DL that we desperately need and it would make me feel a good deal better about our D-line going into the season.

gr8slayer
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Say it one more time for the camera.

OpIv37
07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
But he does have the final decision. If he decides he wants Wlaker here he'll tell overdorf to get a contract together.

Exactly- Marv may not be the one talking dollars with agents on a daily basis or crunching numbers, but he's still the one making the decision at the end.

Kelly The Dog
07-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Exactly- Marv may not be the one talking dollars with agents on a daily basis or crunching numbers, but he's still the one making the decision at the end.
If you listen to the interview, Marv said that he really and truly has no idea what the Bills even offered Walker. None. He really is that far away from money talk. I didn't believe it at all myself until I heard how emphatically he said it today. So he really doesn't in essence have final say.

mayotm
07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this was just a token offer. The FO can then say they made every attempt to get something done. I don't expect Walker will sign.

OpIv37
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
If you listen to the interview, Marv said that he really and truly has no idea what the Bills even offered Walker. None. He really is that far away from money talk. I didn't believe it at all myself until I heard how emphatically he said it today. So he really doesn't in essence have final say.

wow, well that doesn't inspire confidence. That's a pretty poor chain of command going on at OBD. It sounds like Overdorf reports directly to Ralph on contract issues and Marv is out of the loop. Damn.

Kelly The Dog
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
wow, well that doesn't inspire confidence. That's a pretty poor chain of command going on at OBD. It sounds like Overdorf reports directly to Ralph on contract issues and Marv is out of the loop. Damn.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, it only means that Marv's job is not what other GMs job's are. Marv has a direction for the team and is changing the culture of the team and how the team works and does business. All of those things are extremely important, especially since the TD era. He wants to bring in a kind of player, and then lets his managers, who know the players better, go get them. He lets his money guy sign them. It's just a different way of doing business.

Crappy GMs are usually the ones that fail in several or some parts of the huge range of duties they have. They think they are great evaluators, negotiators, CFOs, CEOs, as well as regional and branch managers. It's a lot of different jobs. Marv just parcels out duties but it doesn't mean it can't work. It only means that if we don't sign a guy we smear JO instead of ML.

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
that still doesn't mean Overdorf has the final say. MArv can tell Overdorf to come up with a contract and not know the nos. He can put his trust on Jim to make a fair contract but he has the final word as to whether Walker can kiss his depends if Walker doesn't accept it .

OpIv37
07-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this was just a token offer. The FO can then say they made every attempt to get something done. I don't expect Walker will sign.

that's a distinct possibility as well.

Kelly The Dog
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
that still doesn't mean Overdorf has the final say. MArv can tell Overdorf to come up with a contract and not know the nos. He can put his trust on Jim to make a fair contract but he has the final word as to whether Walker can kiss his depends if Walker doesn't accept it .
Again, if one listens to the interview, I don't see how that is possible. Overdorf apparently is the one that decides what these guys are worth as well as what he/the team wants and will pay them. Then negotiates it and Ralph has to sign on. He is not the accountant in the scenario, he is the CFO. Marv said he told Ralph he knows nothing about contracts and doesn't want any part of them when he took the job. He didn't have an agent himself (IIRC him saying). He doesn't even set parameters for Overdorf to work from. I found it hard to believe myself but now I believe it. Marv really stays away. Marv strongly implied he only deals with players who are signed and ready to play.

don137
07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Just because Marv does not handle contracts does not mean Marv asked Overdorf to see what his value is and if the Bills can afford what he is worth. Its not like Overdorf decides what players on the roster or in free agency to sign to an extension or to sign in general.

Kelly The Dog
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Just because Marv does not handle contracts does not mean Marv asked Overdorf to see what his value is and if the Bills can afford what he is worth. Its not like Overdorf decides what players on the roster or in free agency to sign to an extension or to sign in general.
Apparently, it is. Overdorf does decide what these guys are worth and what the team is willing to pay, does all of the negotiating and gets it signed off with Ralph. Marv stays completely out of it, by his own words. Again, I found it hard to believe myself. But Marv chooses his words pretty carefully, and if he was just being diplomatic or humble or consensus oriented, he would never use the words he did, IMO.

Meathead
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
trust in The Marv and find peace dammit

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Again, if one listens to the interview, I don't see how that is possible. Overdorf apparently is the one that decides what these guys are worth as well as what he/the team wants and will pay them. Then negotiates it and Ralph has to sign on. He is not the accountant in the scenario, he is the CFO. Marv said he told Ralph he knows nothing about contracts and doesn't want any part of them when he took the job. He didn't have an agent himself (IIRC him saying). He doesn't even set parameters for Overdorf to work from. I found it hard to believe myself but now I believe it. Marv really stays away. Marv strongly implied he only deals with players who are signed and ready to play.

IF MArv decided he wants Lynch he will draft Lynch regardless of what Jim says. He then turns Lynch's agent over to Jim to talk how much a 12th pick is worth just like Walker.

MArv trusts JIm enough to tell him whether Walker is asking too much or not and then decide on whether to proceed or not.

If I were a GM, I would do the same with an employee by asking input from his supervisor who reports to me.

Kelly The Dog
07-25-2007, 11:24 AM
IF MArv decided he wants Lynch he will draft Lynch regardless of what Jim says. He then turns Lynch's agent over to Jim to talk how much a 12th pick is worth just like he's Walker.

MArv trusts JIm enough to tell him whether Walker is asking too much or not and then decide on whether to proceed or not.

If I were a GM, I would do the same with an employee by asking input from his supervisor who reports to me.
But Marv is different. He's not going to ask Jim whether or not to draft Lynch, but there are at least two times in the last two drafts where Marv stated in public he wanted to draft one guy but drafted a different guy because someone else wanted a different player. That isn't a criticism, I think that's great. But it shows you that Marv isn't the one that is getting these players the way other GMs operate.

And Marv says he doesn't give direction to decide whether to proceed or not with guys like Walker, he deals with the players that are signed. That's what's so unusual about this. He will only deal with Walker if Walker shows. He made the trade and knew they might not be able to sign him. But he really has nothing to do with whether or not Walker is in camp or back to Philly. if Overdorf signs Walker, Walker will be on the team. If Overdorf doesn't sign Walker, he won't and Marv will deal with all the players that are signed. He said in the interview he would like to have him but he has zero control over it. And again, this is the first time I believed him.

justasportsfan
07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
But Marv is different. He's not going to ask Jim whether or not to draft Lynch, but there are at least two times in the last two drafts where Marv stated in public he wanted to draft one guy but drafted a different guy because someone else wanted a different player. That isn't a criticism, I think that's great. But it shows you that Marv isn't the one that is getting these players the way other GMs operate.

And Marv says he doesn't give direction to decide whether to proceed or not with guys like Walker, he deals with the players that are signed. That's what's so unusual about this. He will only deal with Walker if Walker shows. He made the trade and knew they might not be able to sign him. But he really has nothing to do with whether or not Walker is in camp or back to Philly. if Overdorf signs Walker, Walker will be on the team. If Overdorf doesn't sign Walker, he won't and Marv will deal with all the players that are signed. He said in the interview he would like to have him but he has zero control over it. And again, this is the first time I believed him.

I agree MArv asks input from everyone. He's made that clear several times. He asks his coaches what players they need . He then goes to Modrak to find these players (in the draft for example) and when drafted sends them over to Overdorf to talks nos. and contracts.

I do however doubt that Overdorf hires players over Jaurons head. Marv and Ralph are the only ones wo can do that. MArv can trump Overdorf and tell Overdorf to give him whatever he wants (regardless of whatever Jim thinks they're worth) if Jauron feels strongly about it which I suspect was the case with Dockery and Walker. +

Jim's expertise is not talent evaluating or putting talent together on the field. MArv will go to his coaches for that.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
this is why we won't miss losing those 3 starters we lost. Well most likely Clements , but not Spikes and Fletcher.

If Walker signs and McCargo is healthy, than I will agree with you on this post.

Tatonka
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
i am praying to god we sign walker still..

he would be the biggest addition we could make to our team right now that would impact the upcoming season.

Michael82
07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
i am praying to god we sign walker still..

he would be the biggest addition we could make to our team right now that would impact the upcoming season.
I'm hoping that Marv realizes that and signs him. :pray:

Dr. Lecter
07-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm hoping that Marv realizes that and signs him. :pray:

If he is being reasonable at all.

I don't want him at big money and long term.

YardRat
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think he signs. Sounds like a "OK Darwin, camp's starting. Here it is, take it or leave it" effort.

Bulldog
07-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think he signs. Sounds like a "OK Darwin, camp's starting. Here it is, take it or leave it" effort.

Doesn't sound like Darwin or his agent are too impressed with the latest offer :

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhEwKNJ.0AgLbTcdv_f.fKpDubYF?slug=ap-bills-posluszny&prov=ap&type=lgns

Don't know if that quote from his agent was before or after their latest offer, but I would venture to guess that he'll never wear a Bills uniform. I'll be interested to see what he signs for once the Eagles cut him.

Goobylal
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Marv knows what was offered to every player. He's just lying to prevent the multitude of follow-up questions about how much would he be willing to pay him and such.

bigbub2352
07-25-2007, 10:00 PM
He needs to get into camp, i am sick of these over paid babies, play the game

mikemac2001
07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
He needs to get into camp, i am sick of these over paid babies, play the game

I agree with you....but if he knows he can make alot more sometimes u gotta take that make sure u get that somewhat big pay day...(I KNOW THEY ALL MAKE A TON) but if i was there and could make 2 or 4 million i would try to get that 4 unless i had been with a team for awhile and it became a home or something

Goobylal
07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Walker's deluding himself if the thinks he's going to make more than the $1.3M the Bills are offering him this year. I mean Ian Scott played on a SB team and could only find a 1-year $1M offer from Walker's former team, the Eagles. Plus Scott is over 4 years younger and was there for all of the Eagles' off-season work, and he'll be there for the first 2 weeks of TC, which Walker will miss.

mikemac2001
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
What if it was all marvs master plan to not sign walker have him get cut by the philly then sign him

Yep In marv we trust

Throne Logic
07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
There is also the possibility that Walker never had any intention of signing a deal with Buffalo. Perhaps he doesn't want to live in the land of snow. Or he just doesn't like good wings. Regardless of the details, this is a very real possibility.

Another possibility is that he's lazy. What better way to get the Spring and early Summer off? Sign on with someone in August, even if it's Buffalo. You get to miss all the OTA's and most of training camp.

seanbillsfan
07-26-2007, 01:50 AM
It would be nice but I've pretty much written him off as a lost cause.

If he does show up and bumps Tim Anderson off the roster, that will go a long way towards winning back some respect.
tim anderson is my dad

ddaryl
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
What if it was all marvs master plan to not sign walker have him get cut by the philly then sign him

Yep In marv we trust

snap out of it....

That is not Marv's style... he would never do such a thing EVER !

Marv is a straight shooter. Only a crooked SOB with little integrity would try that.

madness
07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
tim anderson is my dad

Wait, they allowed him to procreate?

don137
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
tim anderson is my dad

Is he your first cousin as well?

OpIv37
07-26-2007, 08:28 AM
tim anderson is my dad

so do you also look like an extra from Monty Python's lumberjack sketch?