• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Briggs does the Clements deal

Lance Briggs will sign the Bears' one-year qualifying offer worth $7.2 million, and report to camp on Thursday.

No franchise tag next year.

Jon
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Briggs does the Clements deal

Where Marv Levy leads, others follow. I'd look for more of this in the future.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

It was a stupid move for Levy and it's a stupid move for the Bears. Both teams are losing great players in exchange for nothing.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        It was a stupid move for Levy and it's a stupid move for the Bears. Both teams are losing great players in exchange for nothing.
        So, if we had paid SF's deal to Clements you would have been happy?

I remember almost all of us, probably even you saying we should bench him in the early part of the season we have the cash, we could have spent it, but if we paid even close to what SF paid, we would be WAY overspending.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

I hope they go back on their word.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

It's probably written into the contract. I doubt Briggs would just accept a handshake promise.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

They're getting a player on the field for one more year who is going to play their ass off, for a 'market' price. A player that they couldn't afford this year anyway, and won't be able to next year barring injury.

It's a short-term bargain, but a bargain nonetheless.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by casdhf
                It's probably written into the contract. I doubt Briggs would just accept a handshake promise.
                I bet he would. For one thing, he could just hold out next year. For another, having a team go back on something like that would KILL them come free agent time.
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by jp-era

I remember almost all of us, probably even you saying we should bench him in the early part of the season we have the cash, we could have spent it, but if we paid even close to what SF paid, we would be WAY overspending.

well it will still be a thing to be seen if they overpaid i have a feeling this new CBA is gonna make clements deal look avg in 2-3 years.

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                    well it will still be a thing to be seen if they overpaid i have a feeling this new CBA is gonna make clements deal look avg in 2-3 years.
                    If this statement proves to be correct, then more than half of the NFL franchises will be in serious trouble. NFL=MLB A select few teams (i.e. ...Dallas, Washington, New England) will dominate, while the rest are left to pick through the scraps. And when that happens, I'm out!
                    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jp-era

No, I would have been happy if we had tagged Clements this year and gotten something for him- obviously the desire was there- the guy got an obscene contract.

Agreeing not to franchise Clements again was a mistake by Marv. Deal with it.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

there's a difference. No one wanted Briggs this year when the bears tried to shop him unless MArv tried to shop Clements ast year and no one wanted him either . In that case both GM's rather than have them sit it out, did what they had to do.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                        X