Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

The worst year in Buffalo sports history

Do you agree?

---

Buffalo: 1971
    Beeffalo was once a three-team town, and in '71, this meant more misery for the sports lovers of Western New York (Vincent Gallo and Tim Russert included). The expansion Sabres finished 58 points out of first place in the NHL's Eastern Division. The expansion Braves, first-year brethren of the Cavaliers and Trail Blazers, went 22-60. And the Bills, who only played like an expansion team, went 1-13, the worst record in the NFL (young O.J. Simpson was still struggling under coach John Rauch, who for whatever reason didn't think it was a good idea to give the Juice the football). It's a lot to ask of any fanbase, least of all one that has to spend a quarter of the year trudging around in a foot of snow, to put up with two expansion clubs in the same year.

• Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

Re: The worst year in Buffalo sports history

It was a horrible year - I can't think of a worse one.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

a lot of Buffalo's worst years were before my time.

I can say this though- 2003 and 2005 were some of the worst years I can remember because expectations were so high and results were so poor.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

1959. The Bills had not yet taken the field, the Sabres and Braves didn't exist, and the Bisons released my favorite player, Luke Easter.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          a lot of Buffalo's worst years were before my time.

I can say this though- 2003 and 2005 were some of the worst years I can remember because expectations were so high and results were so poor.
          05 sucked as a bills fan, the worst i can remember.

03 sucked as a buffalo sports fan in general, with the bills blowing and sabres filing bankruptcy.

Comment

• blotsfan
            • Apr 2007

1999 sucked
            No Goal and"Miracle"
            Without hope there is nothing to live for (you can tell I'm a Buffalo guy)

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

john y brown went on to greener pastures while ralph wilson continues to suck away peoples hard earned money putting out a below-average team year in and year out.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

I would say the Kay Stephenson to Hank Bullough era was alot worse than '03-'05.

Some of you guys are too young to post on stuff like this.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  1959. The Bills had not yet taken the field, the Sabres and Braves didn't exist, and the Bisons released my favorite player, Luke Easter.
                  And, worse yet, Luke Easter ended up with the Rochester Red Wings.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

The 1971 Bills were the absolute worst. (1-13)

You can't throw in the Braves and Sabres records. They were both expansion teams and in a positive, honeymoon period with the fans. That was still a very fun Sabres team to watch.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                    X