PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Martin Wants To Buy An NFL Team

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
The only teams I can think of that are even remotely up for sale are Buffalo and maybe NO (doubt it now though.)

Wouldn't that make things interesting.

BTW, this has been talked about on ESPN Radio and Sirius all day. I'm waiting for a link of some kind but can't find anything yet.

gil
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't care how well he invested during his playing days, he'll still need quite the group of financial backers to get to the 750 Million+ it would take to get any NFL franchise.

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't care how well he invested during his playing days, he'll still need quite the group of financial backers to get to the 750 Million+ it would take to get any NFL franchise.
I think he's talking about being a partial owner.

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 06:30 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/26/bc.fbn.jets.martinretir.ap/index.html

Martin, always regarded as one of the classiest yet toughest players, has already moved on to the next phase of his life after football: He plans to become an NFL owner in the near future.

"I believe I've gotten a chance to understand the game from the ground up," said Martin, decked out in a sharp black suit and black and purple tie. "It's something that very few owners are able to do, simply because they're not privy to the intimacy of the locker rooms or the brotherhood of the players. I believe that I can bring something new, and something that I think could be better for the NFL overall."

DraftBoy
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Buy Buffalo!!! I always enjoyed watching him play and he should have great respect for the city and its fans.

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Buy Buffalo!!! I always enjoyed watching him play and he should have great respect for the city and its fans.
It would also be nice to have an owner who isn't sniffing the grave. Youth might equal a bit more stability.

Ed
07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Maybe he can be another guy to team up with Jim Kelly and Jack Kemp to buy the Bills. Our whole ownership could just consist of a large committee of former players. That would be interesting.

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe he can be another guy to team up with Jim Kelly and Jack Kemp to buy the Bills. Our whole ownership could just consist of a large committee of former players. That would be interesting.
Where does everyone keep getting Jim Kelly buying the Bills? That's the 100th time I've heard that. Did I miss something?

Stewie
07-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Unless he had the worlds best money manager, he isn't going to be the majority owner.

YardRat
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Didn't work for Michael Jordan.

Typ0
07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
since when are the Bills for sale?

Devin
07-26-2007, 08:01 PM
The only teams I can think of that are even remotely up for sale are Buffalo and maybe NO (doubt it now though.)

Benson will never sell the Saints, hes as stubborn if not more so then Ralph. When he dies his granddaughter I believe takes over the team. Shes the teams VP of something or other.

The team is staying in New Orleans for the next 4 years at least and currently is close to having a new stadium deal in place.

All that said Curtis Martin is a class act and any franchise would benefit from his presence.

Philagape
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Where does everyone keep getting Jim Kelly buying the Bills? That's the 100th time I've heard that. Did I miss something?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=124849&highlight=kemp

HHURRICANE
07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Can I just say that Curtis Martin has a better shot at building a rocket and landing on Mars than becoming an owner of an NFL team. If I had a dollar for every time an ex-player was quoted about buying an NFL franchise I would be a very rich man.

The fact that he said this means he's either incredibily stupid or naive. Take your pick.

gr8slayer
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=124849&highlight=kemp
Wow, I seriously don't even remember that yet I posted in the thread.

CuseJetsFan83
07-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Can I just say that Curtis Martin has a better shot at building a rocket and landing on Mars than becoming an owner of an NFL team. If I had a dollar for every time an ex-player was quoted about buying an NFL franchise I would be a very rich man.

The fact that he said this means he's either incredibily stupid or naive. Take your pick.
well according to what i have found, he would be a minority owner...... honestly i think any franchise could benefit from it, and supposedly had his sights on un-named team and couldn't do anything until he was retired.....

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/1395-curtis-martin-makes-it-official-retires-as-a-player

"Retirement is not an end but a beginning," Martin told the Jets in advance of his appearance on CBS. "It is not giving up a position but more of a passing of the baton. And it’s definitely not a crossroad but a bridge that will further my pursuits within the NFL." That last phrase is more than a polite tip of his hat to the league. Martin told the Jets something that may come as a surprise to many who thought they knew him and his interests. Martin is also going on this media blitz with one more message: that just as he's not forgetting the NFL, he's also not leaving New York behind. "I've created a partnership with the City of New York," he said, "and we're working together to eradicate homelessness in the city." The partnership with Mayor Mike Bloomberg's office plans to reduce homelessness in the city by two-thirds by 2009. All of Martin's ambitious moves going forward stem from the remarkable set of events of the previous three years.

In 2004, the Pittsburgh native and Pitt product had the best season of his career.
But Martin has never displayed bitterness or sorrow over what he said "may be the inevitable result" of his physical condition. He told CBS this morning: "I'm leaving football knowing there's nothing I would've done differently," he said. "I gave my all on the field. I tried to be a standup guy, a man of integrity and a role model. ... I've appreciated all the fans who helped me reach this point in my career." Now Martin is declaring this particular career arc over, and others are lining up to say how grateful they are to know him, to watch him play, to learn from him. Among the many who are wishing Martin well in his future endeavors is NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who said in
continue to be successful and represent the NFL well as he moves into his next career.” “The ability to play at such a consistently high level every week he took the field will be the enduring football legacy of Curtis Martin," said Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who was instrumental in bringing Martin to the Jets in 1998.

"He is a man of unparalleled integrity who treats everyone who crosses his path with a great deal of respect. I will always admire Curtis for the way he carries himself as a player and as a person.” Mangini said that "in light of the league's recent concentration on personal conduct, Curtis serves as a shining example of how to handle yourself on the field and off. If you are looking for a hero, you don't have to look any further than Curtis Martin."
<!-- start media_player in Ct1 -->
"I have built my whole career towards ownership of an NFL team," he said, "and as I no prepare for retirement, I'm very close to fulfilling my dream." Martin would not specify which team he's been in negotiations with since last year, although it is a team other than the Jets.

then, while bored, i looked on a search for other sites.......

espn's page had this.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2949596

Martin, regarded as one of the classiest yet toughest players in the game, was hoping to announce specific plans for his life after carrying the football, but hasn't finalized anything yet. He said an announcement is imminent, but declined to reveal which teams he had spoken to or if the Jets were one of them.

honestly that would rule out the jets....... but as an owner for any team.. if i was a fan of that team.... i'd know they would have class.....