PDA

View Full Version : Weis was the Bills' choice over Mularkey

Jeff1220
07-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Some of you probably already heard this, but I haven't (so some of you might not have either). It's pretty much ancient history at this point, but on America's Game:2003 Patriots, Charlie Weiss said he was informed by the Bills that he was their #1 choice for HC. They said that if they lost that first playoff game, then he'd be hired that Monday. As we know, the Pats kept winning and the Bills went ahead and hired Mularkey. Weiss actually sounded like he really wanted it and sounded a bit bitter about the rule that prevented his being hired. Just figured I'd share. It's getting late and I'm watching some NFLN.

Tatonka
07-27-2007, 10:58 PM
sounds crazy.. but even though i would have taken wiess over mularkey in a heartbeat.. i am totally ok with our coaching staff right now.. i actally really like it..

Bling
07-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Who would you guys rather have: Jauron or Weiss?

Michael82
07-27-2007, 11:09 PM
What has Weiss done with Notre Dame so far? I'll stick with what we got. Jauron and his staff have impressed me for now. :up:

PromoTheRobot
07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Weiss under Donahoe would have had the same results as Mullarkey. While Mullarkey was a meathead, Donahoe set the tone with bad team philosophy. We had the wrong players...talented but individualistic. Plus Donahoe was into names, not players. Levy's effect on the Bills is subtle yet profound. He creates an positive atmosphere and develops a high-charecter team identity. We may not win a Super Bowl but we will be a a very good team.

PTR

Meathead
07-28-2007, 02:19 AM
you heard it here. tatonka likes dick

actually so do i

so what are you doing sept 9 you wanna get together

Carlton Bailey
07-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Jauron's a fine head coach who's assembled a good, stable staff. Charlie Weis is simply overhyped. Tom Brady has looked pretty damn good without him the last two years. If you'd have asked me a couple years ago, I'd have taken Weis over Jauron in a heartbeat; now, though, I'm content with DJ.

mikemac2001
07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
What has Weiss done with Notre Dame so far? I'll stick with what we got. Jauron and his staff have impressed me for now. :up:

Little hard to blame weiss for what he has done at notre dame...its hard to jug him againist a usc florida or other power house...its much harder to get athletes to come to ND just bc of the grade factor. You actually have to be kinda smart to go there unlike The "U" and other schools

Tatonka
07-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Jauron's a fine head coach who's assembled a good, stable staff. Charlie Weis is simply overhyped. Tom Brady has looked pretty damn good without him the last two years. If you'd have asked me a couple years ago, I'd have taken Weis over Jauron in a heartbeat; now, though, I'm content with DJ.

i couldnt have said it better.:bf1:

mikemac2001
07-28-2007, 08:43 AM

:homer:

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd take Weis in a heartbeat.

Wait until he gets all his recruits at ND.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Brady (Tom and Quinn) were made by Weis. But Weis was a great gameplanner and play-caller. I don't see the Pats winning the SB again without either he or Crennel, much in the same way Parcells never made/won the SB without Belichick.

Philagape
07-28-2007, 08:56 AM
What has Weiss done with Notre Dame so far?

2003-2004: 11-13

2005-2006: 19-6

Elminster
07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
It certainly would've been nice. It wouldn't have helped a thing as long as Donahoe was here, but Losman may've been better off and we might be farther along if Weiss worked out(which seems a much more likely proposition than Mularkey working out.)

Unfortunately, we got Mularkey, and he was a complete moron. And now, we have Jauron, who definitely seems to have a clue, and we seem to be heading in the right direction. So, I'm happy with Jauron. We only got Weiss in an alternate time-line. Perhaps Donahoe's a good GM in that time-line, or the Pats aren't as good...

HHURRICANE
07-28-2007, 09:22 AM
The idea that we could have had Weiss over Mularkey makes me sick.

However, there is a good chance that TD sabotaged this because there was no way that he was going to make Weiss into the puppet than TD coveted.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
BTW, I'd have take Weis over Mularkey at the time, and CERTAINLY now. It would have prevented the Pats from winning a 3rd SB and given the Bills a better head coach than Mularkey. But I like Jauron now.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 10:50 AM

LMAO

If we could somehow go back in time and get true votes prior to the hiring of anyone, I'd wager you that the results of that question would be drastically different now than back then.

As I said at the time, I wouldn't have hired Mularkey over a computer program on a cart for game days. The guy was a stooge in Pittsburgh and a TEs coach that coached for a team that used their TEs even less than we do. The guy was obviously, to objective people, unqualified to become a HC at that point in time and it has only been validated that he's fully fortunate to even be making 6-figures in life since then. It's a miracle that someone of his intellectual and performance profile can make that much.

But hey, back then, and based just about entirely on a few games vs. nothing defenses in two seasons of play otherwise, everyone ranted about "what he did for Maddux." Whatever.

A true testimony to America!

I can see why everyone likes Jauron. None of his past records, losing ones that is, have anything to do with him. It's all because "he didn't have the tools" in spite of having had quite a bit in hindsight, or a lack of support from "above," or other excuse statements.

I mean I suppose we should consider ourselves entirely blessed that we have a head coach with only one winning season in seven and a career winning percentage of .426. (43-58)

I mean does it get any better. LOL

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
The idea that we could have had Weiss over Mularkey makes me sick.

However, there is a good chance that TD sabotaged this because there was no way that he was going to make Weiss into the puppet than TD coveted.

Lack of patience.

We always seem to fire our HCs/GMs in seasons where availability is slim to nil or don't have the patience to sit out the playoffs.

Blame Wilson for that. Then we get four or five more seasons of slop with the objective fans arguing with the non-objective prior to repeating the process again.

Q: After it becomes clear to anyone including all of his most ardent supporters, that Levy and Jauron just ain't gettin' it done, and not to incite a riot here, after this or next season, and Wilson finally gets up the gumption to salvage whatever he can that remains of this team, ... who here will have confidence in Wilson's next hire. (Rhetorically)

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
It wasn't Wilson's hire-it was Levy's. Just like it was TD who hired patsies instead of coaches who might potentially stand-up to him like Cowher did.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Indirectly yes, but it all begins with the GMs, who were both exclusively Wilson's decisions.

Donahoe hired Gilbride (in spite of suggestions that his stooge HC did) and he hired Mularkey.

Levy hired Jauron. Everyone can support Jauron all that they want, but the facts of his career are the facts.

IMO it's gonna fly in the face of anyone supporting Jauron if he can't at least get this team to the 7-9 we were last year. In order to impress anyone he's gonna have to hit at least 8-8. At least.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I agree that the Bills will need to at least duplicate last year's record. Health-permitting (and I'll say right now that IF McCargo didn't get injured last year, the Bills would have made the playoffs) I don't see why that won't happen.

As for Jauron's career, he was COTY in 2001 and after that the wheels fell apart on the team (loads of injuries, new stadium making them play "home" games an hour away, DJ's new GM Jerry Angelo giving-away his better players on defense in an effort to tank the team and get his own HC in there, etc.). So judging him by what happened in Chicago is unfair. It's like judging Belichick by what happened in Cleveland.

And really, do you think that top-tier GM's and coaches look to Buffalo as the place to make their name? Do you think that Parcells, or JJ, or Belichick ever considered Buffalo as the place they wanted to coach?

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree that the Bills will need to at least duplicate last year's record. Health-permitting (and I'll say right now that IF McCargo didn't get injured last year, the Bills would have made the playoffs) I don't see why that won't happen.

And really, do you think that top-tier GM's and coaches look to Buffalo as the place to make their name? Do you think that Parcells, or JJ, or Belichick ever considered Buffalo as the place they wanted to coach?

To your points:

First para:

I think that's a real reach. Did you actually watch McCargo play last year? I did. I watched every game and of all players if there was a player that I paid particular attention to on D it was him. I taped the early games in the season and watched them in slo-mo on many plays.

McCargo was not at all good. In fact he sucked. So extrapolating "playoffs" just because we would have had some stiff rookie in there is baseless.

Second para:

HCs and GMs will go where they get paid. Since we offer very low-end salaries, we often get what we pay for. We broke that chain with both Levy and Donadope, and while we didn't make them the highest paid GMs in the league, they are/were both not the lowest paid either, at least not Donadope.

Either way, if money's gonna make that kind of difference, then perhaps we should withhold stupid guaranteed money of the like that we've paid some really poor players in the past, not to overlook L. Walker this year, and put another $2M towards hiring a goood GM and/or HC, wouldn't you say that paying a better coach a couple more M each season would go a little further than L. Walker will take us?

IMO that's a no brainer.

James Lofton wanted to coach here and IMO would have been a fantastic coach. As it now stands, is there any argument that a good many coaches couldn't have led us to the records we've had in past recent seasons.

But again, apparently according to this thing, Weiss wanted to come here. Sherman was interested, and while I don't think he would have been even close to an optimal choice, IMO he'd have been better than Jauron. There really weren't too many available after Wilson fired Donadope the season after he gave him a five-year extension behind our backs.

That alone to me suggests major issues.

So make that argument all you want, coaches with no experience at HC will come. Many have gone on to do well elsewhere. But we just don't seem to consider them, no, rather we have to get proven failures or those with inherent issues from the get go.

But of course that entails putting the glass of kool-aid down and actually doing some independent due diligence. (not specifically referring to you, rather generally speaking)

Lofton is a very bright man who knows football in spite of having no HC experience. There are a good many established HCs with experience who flat out suck at it too.

DraftBoy
07-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Anybody who thinks what Chalie Weiss has been able to do at ND so far is anything short of a miracle, is either A) blind, or B) hates ND.

Two straight BCS bowsl (got slaughtered in both) and forming one of the most potent offenses in the nation. Nobody had even heard of Jeff Smardzija till Weiss inserted in as a starter. And he got Brady Quinn to be more consistent.

Watch out for an Irish return to glory next year when we have our pieces in place.

Carlton Bailey
07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Irish return to glory? Jimmy Clausen, with his lame haircut, is going to suck just as much as his two brothers.

DraftBoy
07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Irish return to glory? Jimmy Clausen, with his lame haircut, is going to suck just as much as his two brothers.

Ahh and the truth shall set you free, you my friend are an obvious hater

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 12:49 PM
To your points:

First para:

I think that's a real reach. Did you actually watch McCargo play last year? I did. I watched every game and of all players if there was a player that I paid particular attention to on D it was him. I taped the early games in the season and watched them in slo-mo on many plays.

McCargo was not at all good. In fact he sucked. So extrapolating "playoffs" just because we would have had some stiff rookie in there is baseless.
Sorry but you're in the vast minority in thinking that McCargo wasn't starting to play well before he got injured, much less that he "sucked." I can't take anything you say on this matter seriously because either you're doing this just to be controversial, or you don't know what you're talking about. But I guess we can let the season play-out to prove this.

Second para:

HCs and GMs will go where they get paid. Since we offer very low-end salaries, we often get what we pay for. We broke that chain with both Levy and Donadope, and while we didn't make them the highest paid GMs in the league, they are/were both not the lowest paid either, at least not Donadope.

Either way, if money's gonna make that kind of difference, then perhaps we should withhold stupid guaranteed money of the like that we've paid some really poor players in the past, not to overlook L. Walker this year, and put another $2M towards hiring a goood GM and/or HC, wouldn't you say that paying a better coach a couple more M each season would go a little further than L. Walker will take us?

IMO that's a no brainer.

James Lofton wanted to coach here and IMO would have been a fantastic coach. As it now stands, is there any argument that a good many coaches couldn't have led us to the records we've had in past recent seasons.

But again, apparently according to this thing, Weiss wanted to come here. Sherman was interested, and while I don't think he would have been even close to an optimal choice, IMO he'd have been better than Jauron. There really weren't too many available after Wilson fired Donadope the season after he gave him a five-year extension behind our backs.

That alone to me suggests major issues.

So make that argument all you want, coaches with no experience at HC will come. Many have gone on to do well elsewhere. But we just don't seem to consider them, no, rather we have to get proven failures or those with inherent issues from the get go.

But of course that entails putting the glass of kool-aid down and actually doing some independent due diligence. (not specifically referring to you, rather generally speaking)

Lofton is a very bright man who knows football in spite of having no HC experience. There are a good many established HCs with experience who flat out suck at it too.
Sure coaches and GM's will go where they get paid. Thinking that Ralph is going to pay say $6M a year for a "hot" coach like Saban though is wishful thinking, much less that Saban would have taken the offer with a $5M offer from the Dols. And TD as you said wasn't cheap, and was considered a good hire by most. He chose HC's who were "hot, up and coming" coordinators and it didn't workout, because seemingly they were yes-men who wouldn't usurp TD. Maybe that wasn't the case and they just weren't cut-out for the jobs? I don't know. But as I said, IMHO top coaches aren't chomping at the bit to be in Buffalo, not without seriously overpaying them. And as the Dolphins have proven, you can spend a ton on coaches and still get nowhere.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
I had heard this before and I really would have liked to see what Weis could have done as head coach. I am good with what we have now, but I would have chosen Weis over anyone back then.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry but you're in the vast minority in thinking that McCargo wasn't starting to play well before he got injured, much less that he "sucked." I can't take anything you say on this matter seriously because either you're doing this just to be controversial, or you don't know what you're talking about. But I guess we can let the season play-out to prove this.

Oh, I know I'm in a vast minority. I've already gone through how most of McCargo's tackles were well behind the LoS. If that's "improved" or good to you, then great, I'm happy for you. My expectations for my starting DTs are a wee bit loftier. Regardless, I've gone over every single play that McCargo was involved in in print. His "positives" must have been hidden and the same people thinking that he "improved" are likely the same that seem to think that Keith Ellison is anything but one enormous project simply b/c he caught an INT that you or I could have made in street clothes b/c it was so poorly thrown right to him.

But yes, we obviously have no choice but to let the season play out in this way. All that I ask is that you be fair when it does and admit it if you were flat out wrong and I was correct. I think that's more than fair and I offer to do the same! ;)

Sure coaches and GM's will go where they get paid. Thinking that Ralph is going to pay say $6M a year for a "hot" coach like Saban though is wishful thinking, much less that Saban would have taken the offer with a $5M offer from the Dols. And TD as you said wasn't cheap, and was considered a good hire by most. He chose HC's who were "hot, up and coming" coordinators and it didn't workout, because seemingly they were yes-men who wouldn't usurp TD. Maybe that wasn't the case and they just weren't cut-out for the jobs? I don't know. But as I said, IMHO top coaches aren't chomping at the bit to be in Buffalo, not without seriously overpaying them. And as the Dolphins have proven, you can spend a ton on coaches and still get nowhere.

Well, TD wasn't considered a good hire by me. So how about some kudos here! I posted exactly and specifically why, and lo and behold it turned out to be pretty much exactly as I had laid out in print on multiple occasions. Ditto for Bledsoe, Ditto for Milloy, ditto for Vincent, ditto for Gilbride. All I'm asking for is some credit where credit is due and yet I can't buy a credit here.

Meanwhile, people that leave those entrusted with the management of the team with the perpetual benefits of the doubt, and who by default cannot possibly be more accurate than I've been in foresight due to them being on the exact opposite side of the fence and entirely by design, their own designs, are right every once in a blue moon and that carries the same crediblity while from others, such as myself, perfection is expected merely to be labelled 50/50.

As to Saban, can't speak to that. I knew little of the guy and wasn't one of those saying how great he was. In fact I don't believe that I've ever supported the hiring of a college coach that did not already have past NFL head coaching experience.

GMs, good ones, are much tougher to come by as they are not always available. But as to coaches, did we make a bid for Mangini? Clearly not b/c we had just hired a HC. Which is part of the problem. We seem to be 100% out of phase in our hiring/firing.

Donahoe stinks the joint up, gets two years beyond what he should have gotten otherwise, gets an extension for no good reason and behind our backs by the owner who's supposed to be "all about his fans first," so we wait until GM hires are few and nowhere to be found to fire him.

Of course in a season about as dry as the Nevada desert for head coaching replacements, that's the season we simultaneously fire him.

I mean the strategic elements of these things need to be thought about and frankly, we just don't do it. Firing someone only makes any sense if you hire someone more competent to replace them. Yet, we replace in kind.

Say what you want, but the entire scenario as such would be laughable if it were even remotely funny, and is funny for other teams' fans to watch much as everyone criticizes the Lions. But the problems of the Bills in this way can be directly traced back to Wilson. 100% at its roots.

Otherwise I would strongly suggest that paying $6M/yr. for a HC or GM that is worth more than that in other ways would certainly have this team far further along than it is at present.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I had heard this before and I really would have liked to see what Weis could have done as head coach. I am good with what we have now, but I would have chosen Weis over anyone back then.

I sure as hell would have chosen him over Jauron. Only the Bills would make a big deal out of hiring Jauron.

Say what anyone may over that hiring, but it was tremendously risky which is unarguable.

Carlton Bailey
07-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Enjoy your quarterback, DB...

http://static.flickr.com/74/198934665_5dfb5f8754.jpg

Bling
07-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Sorry DB. You're wrong. ND is going to have an off year this year. Weiss has done an incredible job at ND, and personally, I'm estatic he went to ND and not the Bills. FSU hasn't played ND since that FSU 38-0 shut out, and I wouldn't want to play a Weiss coached team now. Thank God the Bills are stuck with Jauron for a while. The guy is a career loser, imo. It's only a matter of time before the objective Bills fans start turning on Jauron like they did on Moooooolarkey.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Wys: Can't say I remember stuff you've predicted prior to the Levy regime, therefore I can't pat you on the back. And really, anyone can claim that they made such and such a statement 5 years ago and no one would be able to call him/her on it because no one would remember. And I'll bet you you missed on more players than you claim to have hit on, but again I have no proof, so I won't kick your in the back as a result.

But I do know you think that Levy is nothing but a figurehead and Jauron is a joke, and that you thought the Bills would be one of the worst teams in the NFL last year and not even close to still being in playoff contention come the last 2 weeks of the season. I also have gleaned from your posts that you think the Bills will be worse this year than they were last year. Hence the bet I've proposed to you numerous times that you've refused to accept.

So here is the bet, take it or leave it. I bet the Bills will win 7 or more games. You take the under. We can decide later what the stakes are. Are you in or not?

Bling
07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Wys: Can't say I remember stuff you've predicted prior to the Levy regime, therefore I can't pat you on the back. And really, anyone can claim that they made such and such a statement 5 years ago and no one would be able to call him/her on it because no one would remember. And I'll bet you you missed on more players than you claim to have hit on, but again I have no proof, so I won't kick your in the back as a result.

But I do know you think that Levy is nothing but a figurehead and Jauron is a joke, and that you thought the Bills would be one of the worst teams in the NFL last year and not even close to still being in playoff contention come the last 2 weeks of the season. I also have gleaned from your posts that you think the Bills will be worse this year than they were last year. Hence the bet I've proposed to you numerous times that you've refused to accept.

So here is the bet, take it or leave it. I bet the Bills will win 7 or more games. You take the under. We can decide later what the stakes are. Are you in or not?

I'll take that bet if Wys doesn't. Give me all 1700 of your ZBs and disappear from BZ for 2 months.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 03:04 PM
You're on, Bling. I shoud have bet you last year on the Bills versus Dols, but better late than never.

Speaking of which, wanna make a side bet on the Dols' wins?

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Jury is still out on McCargo. It's a bit early to say he sucks.

Of all the people they interviewed when they hired Mullarkey, I would have hired every single one of them before I hired Mullarkey. But hindsight is 20/20.

OpIv37
07-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Weis hands down.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
It's apparent Wys doesn't want anything to do with the bet. Why is that?

thesquirrelking
07-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Are you serious? He's had 5 years experience as a receivers coach. That may be enough to merit HC consideration in your fantasy world, but to everyone else that's laughable. No GM in his right mind would turn the reins over to him unless he's had at least some prior experience as coordinator.

Lofton may someday make a fine head coach, but not anytime soon.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Lofton's been the WR coach of the Chargers for 5 years now, and they don't have a single WR worth mentioning. I don't think I can even name one.

bledslow
07-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Brady (Tom and Quinn) were made by Weis. But Weis was a great gameplanner and play-caller. I don't see the Pats winning the SB again without either he or Crennel, much in the same way Parcells never made/won the SB without Belichick.

You're kidding right??? Pats were jobbed out of the sb last year for a few factors that would have been out of weis's controls,like there 2 best defensive players not playing in that colts game(seymour/harrison),a terrible pi call on hobbs that placed the ball on the 1 yard line for (and the nfl actually apoligized for it later on,wich is RARE),then you have another play where caldwell actually WAS mugged in the endzone and the pats got no call,and had to settle for a fg---I wount even bring up caldwells dropped open passes(including one in the endzone).

Pats should of won last years afccg by double digits,and weis/romeo would not have made a difference when things written above,take place. Saying they can't win it without them is insane foolish

And for the ppl who think weis suks because of his time at nd,well,he still was coaching with players from the last hc,his players he picked should be getting most of the playing time now,give it some time

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Anybody who thinks what Chalie Weiss has been able to do at ND so far is anything short of a miracle, is either A) blind, or B) hates ND.

Two straight BCS bowsl (got slaughtered in both) and forming one of the most potent offenses in the nation. Nobody had even heard of Jeff Smardzija till Weiss inserted in as a starter. And he got Brady Quinn to be more consistent.

Watch out for an Irish return to glory next year layerwhen we have our pieces in place.

I don't know what else can be said about Weis. Those of you that can only say that Clausen is gay or whatever are, well I can't say anything without insulting or violating TOS. Say what you will, but Weis has recruited the best QB this season, one that has been tagged as the greatest QB recruit since John Elway. It doesn't end there, he has also recruited players that include 10 four star recruits. I hate ND, but they have had one of the best recruiting this classes season and already have some nice recruits for next season. C'mon, the McDonald's all-star game was filled with ND recruits. You can't sit here and say that Weis hasn't recruited well this season. He is on par to beat So. Cal. Besides, you have to wait until a coach as at least in his fourth season and he gets all of his recruits on the field, most likely the 5th.

DraftBoy
07-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't know what else can be said about Weis. Those of you that can only say that Clausen is gay or whatever are, well I can't say anything without insulting or violating TOS. Say what you will, but Weis has recruited the best QB this season, one that has been tagged as the greatest QB recruit since John Elway. It doesn't end there, he has also recruited players that include 10 four star recruits. I hate ND, but they have had one of the best recruiting this classes season and already have some nice recruits for next season. C'mon, the McDonald's all-star game was filled with ND recruits. You can't sit here and say that Weis hasn't recruited well this season. He is on par to beat So. Cal. Besides, you have to wait until a coach as at least in his fourth season and he gets all of his recruits on the field, most likely the 5th.

Not just some nice recruits, we currently have the top class in the country. Just an FYI.

http://www.rivals.com/ (Scroll to bottom of the page)

Goobylal
07-29-2007, 03:30 PM
You're kidding right??? Pats were jobbed out of the sb last year for a few factors that would have been out of weis's controls,like there 2 best defensive players not playing in that colts game(seymour/harrison),a terrible pi call on hobbs that placed the ball on the 1 yard line for (and the nfl actually apoligized for it later on,wich is RARE),then you have another play where caldwell actually WAS mugged in the endzone and the pats got no call,and had to settle for a fg---I wount even bring up caldwells dropped open passes(including one in the endzone).

Pats should of won last years afccg by double digits,and weis/romeo would not have made a difference when things written above,take place. Saying they can't win it without them is insane foolish.
They should of won, but didn't. It is what it is. People said the same thing ("insane foolish!") when talking about how Parcells couldn't win without Belichick.

And while the things you mentioned above (Hobbs interfered, BTW) happened, it's not like it should have come down to those things. And BTW, the Pats were a blown fumble call against the Raiders from going to, and winning, their first SB.

Tatonka
07-30-2007, 07:59 AM

Watch out for an Irish return to glory next year when we have our pieces in place.

apparently people in the baseball community heard of Smardzija...

and brady quinn sucks.. that will be shown when/if he ever signs a deal.. of course quinn and his pro offense being run by a good nfl coordinator did well in on most college level defenses.. weiss's defenses got trampled in both bowl games and little brady looked like lost child on the field against lsu... weiss had no answers in the the big games and they got killed.

i am sure weiss will continue to be a good college coach, and i already stated i would have taken him over mularkey in a heartbeat back when that decision was made.. but i also dont think that weiss is a god (outside of ND) and am completely confident that things are headed in the right direction now for the bills with the current coaching staff, so i would not take weiss over jauron at this point right now.

Tatonka
07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Weis hands down.

nice avatar.

Tatonka
07-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Not just some nice recruits, we currently have the top class in the country. Just an FYI.

homer.

:up:

your true colors are shining through as well.

DraftBoy
07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
homer.

:up:

your true colors are shining through as well.

:rofl: like you have room to even speak on the subject...:rofl:

DraftBoy
07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
apparently people in the baseball community heard of Smardzija...

and brady quinn sucks.. that will be shown when/if he ever signs a deal.. of course quinn and his pro offense being run by a good nfl coordinator did well in on most college level defenses.. weiss's defenses got trampled in both bowl games and little brady looked like lost child on the field against lsu... weiss had no answers in the the big games and they got killed.

i am sure weiss will continue to be a good college coach, and i already stated i would have taken him over mularkey in a heartbeat back when that decision was made.. but i also dont think that weiss is a god (outside of ND) and am completely confident that things are headed in the right direction now for the bills with the current coaching staff, so i would not take weiss over jauron at this point right now.

:cry: Since you've already pointed out and repeated everything I already said, what was your point here, except to say that you feel as though Jauron is a better coach than Weiss (big flippin surprise for you to say that) and then you babble on about something or other...did you have a point or do you just like repeating my own points? I mean I can pm you when I post and where if you'd like to stalk me like Justa does to Op we can work out a system, and make it easier for you...just let me know.

Wys Guy
07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Are you serious? He's had 5 years experience as a receivers coach. That may be enough to merit HC consideration in your fantasy world, but to everyone else that's laughable. No GM in his right mind would turn the reins over to him unless he's had at least some prior experience as coordinator.

Lofton may someday make a fine head coach, but not anytime soon.

Are you serious? I guess in contrast that makes a good many other coaches, including Mularkey, much better b/c of all their experience.

The NFL is a serious good-ole-boy network where "experience," doesn't matter if it's drastic failure, AHEM, Dick Jauron, or not, trumps all else.

Lofton has an Industrial Engineering degree from Stanford and is one of the brightest people in football that I've ever known. Hell, most players can't even claim a sociology degree that they got prior to leaving college for the pros.

No GM in his right mind would turn the team over to a previously failed OC with only TE coaching experience either on a team that barely even used TEs during his tenure. No GM in his right mind would hire a head coach with only one winning season, that when fully evaluated, was clearly and solely the result of playing in one of the league's easiest divisions and on the merits of beating only average or dreg teams prior to sustaining a first class spanking in the playoffs either.

No owner in his right mind would hire an 80-something year old GM or Donahoe.

Your point?

Intelligence has something to do with it. All I'm saying is that Lofton would have been a better choice. I can't say that he'd have worked out well, but he's smart enough to know, unlike those leading our team, how to not go get players that suck and pay them like players that don't. I'm sure he also knows that line play is the basis to a competitive football team in the NFL.

Levy's English history degree and related knowledge and Jauron's history degree from Yale and his 400-something winning percentage and 6 of 7 losing seasons of that precious "experience" sure aren't helping us here. Good coaches think analytically, and we don't have them. I'd have been perfectly willing to take a gamble on Lofton.

I will agree with you that he may not have had the organizational components to such a role in "game day" shape, but that's the easier part of the equation and with some good assistants and a year of experience, I'm sure he would have figured all that out.

The stuff that we're struggling with now clearly isn't going to be worked out anytime soon or before Levy hits 90.

Wys Guy
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
It's apparent Wys doesn't want anything to do with the bet. Why is that?

What bet?

Shoot me an e-mail. I will consider anything.

Taking money from the kool-aid drinkers is easier than taking candy from a baby, truly.

PLEASE, send me an e-mail. Or don't you know how. LOL

I'll be looking for it. Otherwise I have to assume that whomever offered a wager is not truly serious about making it. Sending an e-mail, offline, is not a difficult thing to do. Well, at least for most people.

Again, I'll be looking for it. ;)

baalworship
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I was a HUGE Weis fan during the last Bills search that produced Mularkey.

Charlie Weis will STILL be a great NFL coach if he ever leaves the college ranks.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised by Jauron who I didn't expect much from. I never felt like the Bills were outcoached and suddenly we played well against teams with significantly better rosters. We played almost every team tough last year despite our roster on the offensive and defensive lines being mediocre to terrible.

Throw in a quarterback learning the ropes, new systems, new coaches and Jauron suddenly looks even better. Jauron would have been in coach of the year voting last year if our defense could stop the run just a tad better.

I also like the coaches working under him, especially Fairchild.

Bling
07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
You're on, Bling. I shoud have bet you last year on the Bills versus Dols, but better late than never.

Speaking of which, wanna make a side bet on the Dols' wins?

Considering I've taken all your money, what's left to bet? Avatars?

Bling
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
What amazes me about HS recruiting is these kids are exactly my age. They're already consenting to their schools. They haven't even played their senior season yet. A whole lot can change. It's way too early for these people to rank these players.

madness
07-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I heard Weis' offense is so complete, his running backs are a steal in the draft.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
What amazes me about HS recruiting is these kids are exactly my age. They're already consenting to their schools. They haven't even played their senior season yet. A whole lot can change. It's way too early for these people to rank these players.

It is all fun to say that these are just kids and they aren't grown yet, but if you look at the lists of these kids in 2002 you see the scouting can judge talent, of course you miss on some:

1. Lorenzo Booker
2. Holati Ngata
3. Devin Hester
4. Vince Young
5. Derek Landri
6. Chris Davis
7. (OH MY) - Trent Edwards

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Well there you go, you have made my point even better.

Bling
07-30-2007, 05:19 PM
It is all fun to say that these are just kids and they aren't grown yet, but if you look at the lists of these kids in 2002 you see the scouting can judge talent, of course you miss on some:

1. Lorenzo Booker
2. Holati Ngata
3. Devin Hester
4. Vince Young
5. Derek Landri
6. Chris Davis
7. (OH MY) - Trent Edwards

There's a difference TGJK. They'll keep updating that until December when the season ends. This kids haven't even played their Senior year. Who knows who drops, and who rises. Notre Dame could go from top recruiters to top 10 by a simple drop in their player's performance.

thesquirrelking
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Intelligence has something to do with it. All I'm saying is that Lofton would have been a better choice. I can't say that he'd have worked out well, but he's smart enough to know, unlike those leading our team, how to not go get players that suck and pay them like players that don't. I'm sure he also knows that line play is the basis to a competitive football team in the NFL.

Levy's English history degree and related knowledge and Jauron's history degree from Yale and his 400-something winning percentage and 6 of 7 losing seasons of that precious "experience" sure aren't helping us here. Good coaches think analytically, and we don't have them. I'd have been perfectly willing to take a gamble on Lofton.

Levy's degree was good enough to get us to 4 Super Bowls.... Are you saying that if he was a chem major we'd have won 6 straight? I'm not sure that you can take a guy's degree area and extrapolate that to how good a head coach he's going to be. Or GM for that matter.

The jury's still out on Levy's 2nd stint in Buffalo, but he doesn't really strike me as the kind of "Good Ol' Boy" that would just hire a buddy even though there was another, more qualified guy out there. Remember, Mularkey forced Marv to go out and find coaching talent after pretty much every other team with vacancies had picked the available coaching ranks clean. Under the circumstances, I'd say he did a reasonable job.