PDA

View Full Version : Was Lynch's deal as great as some wanna brag about?

BillsFever21
07-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Some are hailing Marv Levy as the king of GM's because we signed Lynch for a "steal" at 18 million over 5 years. Some must have never looked at the other rookie signings. Either that or they just wanna believe every deal is a steal even though we have been consistently overpaying for players either out of their drafting slot or higher then their production equates to in FA.

The 9th pick in the draft received a 5 year contract worth 13 million dollars. Lynch was the 12 pick in the draft and got 5 more million. Maybe Marv wasn't such a genius.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphins-ginn&prov=ap&type=lgns

BillsFever21
07-28-2007, 04:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txtexansokoye&prov=st&type=lgns

The player drafted 2 spots ahead of him got 17.7 million for a 6 YEAR contract. I would rather have Lynch for 1.2 million more and a 6th year. The Texans got Okoye at a 6 year contract for 1.2 million less then Lynch signed for 5 years.

Crisis
07-28-2007, 04:48 AM
The same group of people will always find the negatives in anything, if lynch wasn't in camp right now you'd be the first one (not including op) *****ing about the FO.

First we're cheap now we overpay, can never win.

SquishDaFish
07-28-2007, 05:19 AM
STFU he is signed camp is open. ITS FOOTBALL TIME!!

Jan Reimers
07-28-2007, 05:25 AM
I don't understand why some alleged Bills' fan ***** about everything the team does.

R. Rich
07-28-2007, 05:39 AM
I don't understand why some alleged Bills' fan ***** about everything the team does.

It's what they do. I believe it's called Randy Quaid's Syndrome.

YardRat
07-28-2007, 05:56 AM
I was under the impression Lynch's contract was for 6 years, with the last being voidable if he hits certain incentives.

Philagape
07-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Ginn's $13 million (up to 14) is in GUARANTEES.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-flspdolphins28nbjul28,0,1416792.story

Maybe the guy who wrote the first article isn't such a genius.

Tatonka
07-28-2007, 08:19 AM
this thread sucks balls.

HHURRICANE
07-28-2007, 08:42 AM
How about this? Instead of ripping on BillFever, who is a fan, explain why you think he is wrong.

Rookie contracts in the top 20 are usually the easiest to do. You try to be in between the guy above and below you.

Whether I think Ginn sucks or not is irrelevant because Lynch's contract shouldn't be more than his.

How about an explanation instead of an attack?

justasportsfan
07-28-2007, 08:44 AM
this thread is so :limp:

Philagape
07-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Whether I think Ginn sucks or not is irrelevant because Lynch's contract shouldn't be more than his.

It isn't.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 08:48 AM
I was under the impression Lynch's contract was for 6 years, with the last being voidable if he hits certain incentives.
Yep. Hence the $18M is for 6 years. And as phil said, Ginn's deal gives him over $13M in guarantees, and unless his full contract is guaranteed, which it isn't, he'll be making a LOT more money than that.

So Marv is still a genius and BF51 is still a neg.

kgun12
07-28-2007, 09:02 AM

It happens here and in the Sabre's room. I swear to god if the Bills and the Sabre's caused me as much grief as they do some people here I would either find another team to root for or not follow any team!

HHURRICANE
07-28-2007, 09:08 AM
It isn't.

That depends.

Here's my view. It's a good contract.

However, you guys are fooling yourself if you think this is a 6 year deal.

1) All he has to do is start and the 6th year is voided.

2) We just went through this with McGahee. If Lynch is as good as we hope he will never play out his whole contract. So realistically he gets 10 million for 4 years.

He's in camp and I'm happy.

Philagape
07-28-2007, 09:56 AM
My point was that the whole premise of this thread comes from wrong information about Ginn. The second I saw Ginn's numbers I think, That can't be right, so I dug.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 10:39 AM
It happens here and in the Sabre's room. I swear to god if the Bills and the Sabre's caused me as much grief as they do some people here I would either find another team to root for or not follow any team!

LOL Just wait until season's end. Some of the most ardent "Levy deserves the benefit of the doubt" people are going to reveal the "dark side" of their schizo natures. That's what always, and highly I might add, amuses me.

I do my best to view things objectively. Those that are the most positive at the beginning of a GM/HC tenure (Mularkey, Gilbride, Donadope), or high profile player (Bledsoe, Vincent, Milloy, McGahee), in spite of not considering any opinion outside the shallowness of their own perceptions, run the gamut from being "the Bills' best fans" to fringing on "stalker/serial killers" when the predictable occurs.

I'm tellin' ya, by season's end it'll be starting again.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Re: Lynch's and Puz's contracts, I don't see anything wrong with them. They're not great or bad. They're what they're supposed to be in the progression of things. If anything in pro football is "formula driven," it's rookie contracts.

Given what both are expected to bring to the table their contracts are reasonable. In fact, if both play as many here believe they will, then they'll both be due extensions following year three of their contracts.

There are a lot of things to criticize Levy for, but these two contracts are not one of them.

- signed "Randy Quaid"

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm tellin' ya, by season's end it'll be starting again.
Keep predicting it. Maybe one year it will come true.

SABURZFAN
07-28-2007, 11:21 AM
i'm just glad we have him signed and ready to go. :bf1:

DraftBoy
07-28-2007, 11:39 AM
What this does show is a growing end in the NFL for slotted contracts that really started with Vince Young.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 11:40 AM
The new CBA has allowed for some things too.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Keep predicting it. Maybe one year it will come true.

yeah, that's right. Perhaps one of these years when we fail to make the playoffs and end our streak of going deep into the playoffs I can take some solace in my predictions.

And why Malarkey, Donahoe, and Gilbride left after doing such a good job here, well, somethings you just can't place a value on. We'll never see gifted coaching and mangerial talent like that here again.

And Bledsoe, it's a real shame that he left too. McGahee.

Oh, what could have been.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 11:44 AM
i'm just glad we have him signed and ready to go. :bf1:

I'll be "glad" when I see him bring something to the table that our other RBs since Thurman left have not brought.

If he can do that, bottom line; great signing/drafting.

If not; yet one more bad decision to be slapped on the dossiers of the ILDD.

Since neither has occurred yet, we'll have to wait a season or two to find out.

Carlton Bailey
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Doesn't matter to me as long as Lynch produces, and he will. The team has something like $20 million in cap space. Who the hell cares if we overpay our rookies? I know I don't.

feldspar
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txtexansokoye&prov=st&type=lgns

The player drafted 2 spots ahead of him got 17.7 million for a 6 YEAR contract. I would rather have Lynch for 1.2 million more and a 6th year. The Texans got Okoye at a 6 year contract for 1.2 million less then Lynch signed for 5 years.

Actually, Okoye AND Lynch both have similar clauses in their contracts. Both have six year contracts, with the sixth year being voidable if certain incentives are reached. This means that if they play as good as their teams hope, they have 5 year contracts. So if they both play like superstars, Lynch is only getting what amounts to $240,000 more than Okoye a year. This basically means nothing to me - good for Lynch. IMO, a good running back deserves more money than players at most other positions because RBs are the players that get hit most often.

If you really want to compare Lynch's $$$ to someone else's, compare it to Adrian Peterson...but, wait; you can't do that because Peterson is currently holding out. Lynch is in camp, and he's a happy camper, let me tell you.

YardRat
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I do my best to view things objectively.

:lmao:

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Doesn't matter to me as long as Lynch produces, and he will. The team has something like $20 million in cap space. Who the hell cares if we overpay our rookies? I know I don't.

You should. Many think like that. But they are the ones that overlook the "zero sum game" and opportunity cost aspects of building a team. The more you spend the less you have to make corrections.

For instance, if you run out and buy a used car and immediately after the 30-day warranty expires you begin having issues with it to the tune of $3 or 4K per year, you are not getting what you had hoped you were buying, and now, with even more limited resources, must now purchase something else to provide it.

The more money we spend/waste on players that don't provide us with a proportional return-on-investment, the more we must spend later, money, draft picks, and cap space that we would have otherwise spent on players to fill other spots where we are not getting good production. This has been a perpetual issue with our team in particular throughout the decade and continues to be.

Likewise, we also have to ask ourselves whether we are getting our money's worth and draft picks worth when we get two or three players to play at a particular position. Most teams have one starter. So when we consider that those players pay one salary for the most part for their starting performance, we may pay two. You have to add the two together, coupled with draft picks, salcap, etc., in order to figure out what you're paying for starters in a given position.

But you've gotta get some ROI on resources consumed or you'll never be able to put a solid team on the field. In our case over recent seasons we've led more via emotional hype than on good solid decision making in this way.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Examples?

And besides opinions such as I thought that some player in the past that was never given a chance to do much never did.

Have the vast majority, or even close, predictions been off?

Facts speak louder than opinions, ... or insinuations.

I wear my analyses on my sleeve, happily and proudly!

;)

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM

PS You are also welcome to go toe-to-toe with me and prove how "nonobjective" I am in a few weeks when I make my preseason predictions.

In fact Rat, why not make yours the focal point of the season in a column?

Yea or Nay?

I'll guess the latter, but leave the choice up to you. :)

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
You should. Many think like that. But they are the ones that overlook the "zero sum game" and opportunity cost aspects of building a team. The more you spend the less you have to make corrections.
I'm waiting on Clumpy to update his Bills salary cap page to see where the Bills stand WRT their "cash to cap" policy. I doubt they're up against it and could sign a guy or 2 if they thought one was worth adding.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm waiting on Clumpy to update his Bills salary cap page to see where the Bills stand WRT their "cash to cap" policy. I doubt they're up against it and could sign a guy or 2 if they thought one was worth adding.

Completely not my point.

Our cap situation does not matter a hill of beans of a difference if we don't begin getting some ROI.

The lone exception is that if we're the team the furthest under the cap insinuating that we're simply not spending our money. That clearly isn't true. We've spent tons. We're just getting a lot less from it that we can if we expect to compete.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree that the money needs to be spent on worthwhile players. I believe the Bills are trying to do just that and HAVE added players that they believe will help. Time will tell if that's true.

And unfortunately, going along with my comments on GM's and coaches not using Buffalo as a proving grounds, the Bills simply HAVE to overspend to get players here. It's just a simple but sad fact.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree that the money needs to be spent on worthwhile players. I believe the Bills are trying to do just that and HAVE added players that they believe will help. Time will tell if that's true.

And unfortunately, going along with my comments on GM's and coaches not using Buffalo as a proving grounds, the Bills simply HAVE to overspend to get players here. It's just a simple but sad fact.

Yeah, the latter another prediction of mine as early as '03 that didn't go over to well at the time. Yet, here we are, eh.

Otherwise you step into my point entirely. "What they believe" is clealry flawed for more often than not. Veterans shouldn't take "two or three seasons to develop," that's why you pay them more.

Yet, some of our biggest moves there not only haven't paid off but have fallen flat on their faces. Tripplett is a fully known quantity as was Royal. Both represent the highest paid players at their positions yet we haven't gotten much from either, certainly not corresponding to what they've gotten. I could go on; Reyes, Price, etc. Some of our biggest signings, or the ones that were supposed to help us the most. Everyone almost unanimously agreed that we overpaid Price in spades.

Otherwise, no, we don't necessarily have to overspend, we have to find players that are actually bargains, not ones that they tell us are. The problem: Them!

I don't know if you remember me harping on signing Robbie Williams, now starting for the Bengals, when he was a FA out of Philly. I think that's the season we picked up Tucker or Smith or something. I ranted about what a deal Williams was, and he was. The Bengals didn't overpay for him. They got a hell of a bargain that we could have had. He sat on the FA market forever.

We're going to keep making these kinds of signings while this personnel office is in place and while Levy is here.

The players are there, but overpaying as we have for guys like L. Walker, Tripplett, Royal, Price, Kelsay, etc. were not necessary. In no case was another team prepared to offer anything even close for any of those players.

Kelsay himself expressed shock and alarm at our offer to him. Tripplett was a backup except in our FO's mind; who would pay what we did for a backup? No one.
Price's signing was a joke, literally a joke. Except for us.
Royal isn't good.
We'll see exactly what L. Walker brings this year. I'll say even less for him than I said about Tripplett.

A good GM simply doesn't sign players like these at all much less at those prices. It's not as if we're getting something from them that can't be had elsewhere. Except for Kelsay the performances of all of them are purely dime-a-dozen performances that most backups could have gotten.

What "anyone believes" only matters for purposes of validating credibility and establishing whether or not those doing the believing are good at their jobs or not.

BAM
07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Seems to me that he received a reasonable deal.

As did Paul Posluszny.

camelcowboy
07-28-2007, 03:59 PM
How about this? Instead of ripping on BillFever, who is a fan, explain why you think he is wrong.

Rookie contracts in the top 20 are usually the easiest to do. You try to be in between the guy above and below you.

How about an explanation instead of an attack?

He's a running back, the position demands a higher amount of money upfront because their life span is limited. Lynch can step in now and be affective. Ginn can't. He'll be a good return man but it takes on average of 2-3 years to be worth a damn at receiver.

Ebenezer
07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Some are hailing Marv Levy as the king of GM's because we signed Lynch for a "steal" at 18 million over 5 years. Some must have never looked at the other rookie signings. Either that or they just wanna believe every deal is a steal even though we have been consistently overpaying for players either out of their drafting slot or higher then their production equates to in FA.

The 9th pick in the draft received a 5 year contract worth 13 million dollars. Lynch was the 12 pick in the draft and got 5 more million. Maybe Marv wasn't such a genius.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphins-ginn&prov=ap&type=lgns

everybody can stop *****ing about or praising Marv right now. He openly admitted he does not do contracts. That falls to Jim Overdoff.

Anyway, there is no way of knowing if ANY rookie deal is good or not. If Lynch comes in and runs for 3 straight 2000 yard years than the deal is the greatest of all time. If he runs for 750 a year then the deal sucks.

How about we stop *****ing about everything and at least try to enjoy some aspect of the game.

Wys Guy
07-28-2007, 04:45 PM
everybody can stop *****ing about or praising Marv right now. He openly admitted he does not do contracts. That falls to Jim Overdoff.

Anyway, there is no way of knowing if ANY rookie deal is good or not. If Lynch comes in and runs for 3 straight 2000 yard years than the deal is the greatest of all time. If he runs for 750 a year then the deal sucks.

How about we stop *****ing about everything and at least try to enjoy some aspect of the game.

Not to mention that Lynch is getting the money of an average player these days. His contract averages ~ $3M/season, which frankly isn't all that much by today's standards. If he turns into a consistent 1,200/300/10 TD back, while not record breaking, he'll have been worth the deal.

It's not as if he got $10M more than the guy in front of him or anything. It's all formula driven for the most part. The big thing with these contracts is whether or not they hold out or not. Once that hump is overcome, that's all that matters.

Ebenezer
07-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Not to mention that Lynch is getting the money of an average player these days. His contract averages ~ $3M/season, which frankly isn't all that much by today's standards. If he turns into a consistent 1,200/300/10 TD back, while not record breaking, he'll have been worth the deal.

It's not as if he got $10M more than the guy in front of him or anything. It's all formula driven for the most part. The big thing with these contracts is whether or not they hold out or not. Once that hump is overcome, that's all that matters.
correct, the rookies are pretty much slotted. it's the second contract that is the big deal.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, the latter another prediction of mine as early as '03 that didn't go over to well at the time. Yet, here we are, eh.

Otherwise you step into my point entirely. "What they believe" is clealry flawed for more often than not. Veterans shouldn't take "two or three seasons to develop," that's why you pay them more.

Yet, some of our biggest moves there not only haven't paid off but have fallen flat on their faces. Tripplett is a fully known quantity as was Royal. Both represent the highest paid players at their positions yet we haven't gotten much from either, certainly not corresponding to what they've gotten. I could go on; Reyes, Price, etc. Some of our biggest signings, or the ones that were supposed to help us the most. Everyone almost unanimously agreed that we overpaid Price in spades.

Otherwise, no, we don't necessarily have to overspend, we have to find players that are actually bargains, not ones that they tell us are. The problem: Them!

I don't know if you remember me harping on signing Robbie Williams, now starting for the Bengals, when he was a FA out of Philly. I think that's the season we picked up Tucker or Smith or something. I ranted about what a deal Williams was, and he was. The Bengals didn't overpay for him. They got a hell of a bargain that we could have had. He sat on the FA market forever.

We're going to keep making these kinds of signings while this personnel office is in place and while Levy is here.

The players are there, but overpaying as we have for guys like L. Walker, Tripplett, Royal, Price, Kelsay, etc. were not necessary. In no case was another team prepared to offer anything even close for any of those players.

Kelsay himself expressed shock and alarm at our offer to him. Tripplett was a backup except in our FO's mind; who would pay what we did for a backup? No one.
Price's signing was a joke, literally a joke. Except for us.
Royal isn't good.
We'll see exactly what L. Walker brings this year. I'll say even less for him than I said about Tripplett.

A good GM simply doesn't sign players like these at all much less at those prices. It's not as if we're getting something from them that can't be had elsewhere. Except for Kelsay the performances of all of them are purely dime-a-dozen performances that most backups could have gotten.

What "anyone believes" only matters for purposes of validating credibility and establishing whether or not those doing the believing are good at their jobs or not.
Wait, all the Bills have to do is find players who are bargains? You're kidding, right? You keep talking about the Bills adding these failed players (I disagree on Royal and thought Tripplett was improving as the season wore on, while Price made some big catches, but I think that Reyes was a big miss, but as they say, you can't measure heart), what would you think if the Bills spent pocket change on players you've never heard of? Yep, that's right, you'd be kvetching more than you're doing now.

And again, the Bills have had to overpay for players, maybe adding a little something more just to make sure they get the guy and/or he doesn't leave Buffalo and get wooed by another team. You recall last year they were heavily pursuing DT Ryan Pickett who signed with GB for the same money. Well Pickett left, thought GB was a better situation, and the Bills were left with no DT to pair with Tripplett (hence the reason they drafted 2 that year). Pickett would have helped a lot, and as a result, the Bills decided to open up the wallet a little more. And in reality, with the salary cap increase, no salary, unless it's at the highest end of the spectrum, is outlandish anymore. What looked crazy even just last year looks routine this year.

Don't Panic
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
He's a running back, the position demands a higher amount of money upfront because their life span is limited. Lynch can step in now and be affective. Ginn can't. He'll be a good return man but it takes on average of 2-3 years to be worth a damn at receiver.

Great point. Position definitely counts when determining salary... even for rookies. RBs should get more $ per year than DTs. Lynch got a contract that puts him in the top half of the league for RBs. Does anyone think that he won't be? 1000-1100 yards is worth that money as far as I'm concerned. Out of curiosity, what did McEgo get? If its more than Lynch, then I'm happy with our current situation.

BillsFever21
07-28-2007, 09:16 PM
The object of this thread is all the "Marv is god" posts compared to the other rookie signings about the great steal we got for Lynch with a close to 19 million dollar contract. When in hindsight Lynch got more then some guys who were drafted ahead of them.

If it makes Marv a genius for paying Lynch more then others drafted ahead of him then what does that make the other GM's who got their rookies cheaper?

But now that some realize that Lynch is actually making more then some drafted ahead of him and some others are close to him now it doesn't matter because he is at least in camp.

Which one is it? It goes from being the contract steal of the draft to being it doesn't matter because he is at least in camp.

Some will change their mind instantly just to make themselves feel better inside.

evol4276
07-28-2007, 09:47 PM
i think he's worth it..

Philagape
07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
But now that some realize that Lynch is actually making more then some drafted ahead of him

Ginn was wrong, Okoye's a DT. The thread is moot. If Peterson gets paid less, then you'll have a point.

Goobylal
07-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Forget about the total values. The most important point is guaranteed money. Lynch gets $10.285M in guarantees. Okoye gets $12.785M and Ginn gets $13.5-14.5M. The higher total value means little, unless Lynch hits some major milestones. It's like saying Nate Clements' deal was a 8-year $80M deal, when it was actually 6-year $43M deal.

feldspar
07-29-2007, 02:58 AM
The object of this thread is all the "Marv is god" posts compared to the other rookie signings about the great steal we got for Lynch with a close to 19 million dollar contract. When in hindsight Lynch got more then some guys who were drafted ahead of them.

If it makes Marv a genius for paying Lynch more then others drafted ahead of him then what does that make the other GM's who got their rookies cheaper?

Marv doesn't "pay Lynch."

From what I understand, Marv doesn't negociate the terms of contracts. That is left to Jim Overdorf, I believe. Whenever someone asks him about a players contract, Marv usually says that he doesn't want to meddle in that area. For example, Marv is in no way responsible for the Darwin Walker contract negociations - Jim Overdorf is.

Ebenezer
07-29-2007, 06:45 AM

But now that some realize that Lynch is actually making more then some drafted ahead of him and some others are close to him now it doesn't matter because he is at least in camp.

Which one is it? It goes from being the contract steal of the draft to being it doesn't matter because he is at least in camp.

Some will change their mind instantly just to make themselves feel better inside.
you didn't read my post. ML does not negotiate contracts. Give it a rest.

Generalissimus Gibby
07-29-2007, 07:38 AM
sorry what is this thread about? Serious, I don't read things started by ****** McNugget Fans as they tend to be on the slow side.

Wys Guy
07-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Wait, all the Bills have to do is find players who are bargains? You're kidding, right? You keep talking about the Bills adding these failed players (I disagree on Royal and thought Tripplett was improving as the season wore on, while Price made some big catches, but I think that Reyes was a big miss, but as they say, you can't measure heart), what would you think if the Bills spent pocket change on players you've never heard of? Yep, that's right, you'd be kvetching more than you're doing now.

And again, the Bills have had to overpay for players, maybe adding a little something more just to make sure they get the guy and/or he doesn't leave Buffalo and get wooed by another team. You recall last year they were heavily pursuing DT Ryan Pickett who signed with GB for the same money. Well Pickett left, thought GB was a better situation, and the Bills were left with no DT to pair with Tripplett (hence the reason they drafted 2 that year). Pickett would have helped a lot, and as a result, the Bills decided to open up the wallet a little more. And in reality, with the salary cap increase, no salary, unless it's at the highest end of the spectrum, is outlandish anymore. What looked crazy even just last year looks routine this year.

Gooby, I'm not sure why you view Price as anything other than a 3rd/4th WR tops. Many players "make a play." The question is can they do it consistently. Price clearly cannot and is on the downswing too. Even here I cannot imagine you'll have much support for the notion that Price is anything but a dime-a-dozen WR. 400 yards and 3 TDs on 8.2 ypc isn't anything to even begin discussing as anything other than well below par.

As to Tripplett, Tripplett has been the same player for five seasons now. He has never made an impact and did not improve as the season went on. I documented fully how the entirety of his sacks in Indy were all of the type made late in games with his team usually way up while in a mode whereby his D knew full well that their opponents were passing. That's not something to rave about for a DT.

He logged 2.5 sacks last season as well although not under the same circumstances, neither was indicative that he's anything beyond a backup.

The first was on Carr following our having gone up 14-0 on Evans' two 83-yard TDs in that game.

The other 1.5 were against David Garrard, a career backup thus far after five seasons and starting in his 8th career start.

Otherwise Tripplett did very little in addition to "anchoring" our 28th (yards) and 29th (ypc) ranked rushing D.

If this is what you consider good play, well then that certainly answers much. Don't expect any more from Tripplett than exactly what he's provided for five seasons now. It won't happen. If you don't like that, then blame someone for it.

Wys Guy
07-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Fever, have you got some data there?

In the team's support, there really wasn't much there prior to Lynch's signing to look at.

i think he's worth it..

You don't know however, do you? No one does. If Lynch plays like the "penciled in" superstar Lawrence Phillips did, will he have been worth it?

Certainly if he plays like Priest Holmes did it'll have been a steal. We have no clue right now. Players look great in shorts and w/ no contact or playing against defenses like ours in camp, but how will he look by midseason?

Again, we haven't a clue and can only speculate and guess.

Forget about the total values. The most important point is guaranteed money. Lynch gets $10.285M in guarantees. Okoye gets $12.785M and Ginn gets $13.5-14.5M. The higher total value means little, unless Lynch hits some major milestones. It's like saying Nate Clements' deal was a 8-year $80M deal, when it was actually 6-year $43M deal.

Agreed Gooby!

you didn't read my post. ML does not negotiate contracts. Give it a rest.

Perhaps. But in fairness it's absurd to absolve Levy for all errors in judgement and mistakes made by the team simply b/c he wasn't the trigger man. He's the oversight for this team, period.

BTW, not disagreeing, just putting that statement in isolation in a context. ; )

Philagape
07-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Ginn was wrong, Okoye's a DT. The thread is moot. If Peterson gets paid less, then you'll have a point.

Peterson got a $40.5 million deal, 17 guaranteed. Time to :flush: this thread

HHURRICANE
07-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, I'm on the bandwagon now. Guaranteed that we got the better running back. Plus we saved the extra 7 million in guarantees to sign Poz.

Goobylal
07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
As I was saying with Lynch's contract regarding guaranteed money, Price got a $2.8M signing bonus. Hardly a bank-breaker. And he provided leadership on a unit that lost Moulds, while providing some big plays. I'm not claiming he's a top WR and would rather see someone else at #2, but it's not like it was a huge financial investment.

As for Tripplett, I'm not ready to write him off just yet. The defense was playing with up to 5 rookies, a LB'er coming back from a career-killing injury., and another LB'ers who was a pursuit LB'er. And besides, his SB was just $5.5M.

HHURRICANE
07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
As for Tripplett, I'm not ready to write him off just yet. The defense was playing with up to 5 rookies, a LB'er coming back from a career-killing injury., and another LB'ers who was a pursuit LB'er. And besides, his SB was just $5.5M.

I went back and watched most of the games. Tripplett was far from sucking.

Two people stood out. Anderson, who was just plain awful, and Fletcher who was either late or completely taken out of plays.

Goobylal
07-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I went back and watched most of the games. Tripplett was far from sucking.

It was Wys who said that Tripplett and McCargo "sucked." I've heard others, whose opinions I trust, say that this wasn't the case.

feldspar
07-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Beat me to it - I was just about to post this very same thing. It should be mentioned that Peterson's contract is a five-year deal.

HHURRICANE
07-29-2007, 03:31 PM
It was Wys who said that Tripplett and McCargo "sucked." I've heard others, whose opinions I trust, say that this wasn't the case.

I know, we agree. I tried to reply to Wys but it wouldn't pull up the whole thing.

Goobylal
07-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Wow, just wow! Peterson not only gets $7M more in guarantees, his contract is worth potentially twice as much.

SABURZFAN
07-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I'll be "glad" when I see him bring something to the table that our other RBs since Thurman left have not brought.

If he can do that, bottom line; great signing/drafting.

If not; yet one more bad decision to be slapped on the dossiers of the ILDD.

Since neither has occurred yet, we'll have to wait a season or two to find out.

comparing Lynch to our organizations finest is a lot to ask for out of a Rookie.i don't expect him to be another Thurman but if he can more than fulfill his original contract,that's more than we can say for mcgahee.

YardRat
07-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Taking into consideration what we all know about Peterson's contract now...Yeah, it was a helluva deal.

G. Host
07-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Evidently you agree he is an alleged Bills fan because you think it applies to him rather than declaring it off topic.