• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Jauron sticking to RBC

Position shuffles

"I'm so fortunate to have John Digorgio around because he's so sharp mentally.," Said Posluszny. He doesn't make a mistake ,mentally. To have a guy like that who does everything perfecton practically every playis an advantage for me"

Is he blowing smoke or is Digorgio really getting better ?
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jauron sticking to RBC

He's trying to motivate Poz and Lynch.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

It's the second day of camp. I wouldn't put too much stock in any "long term" pronouncements at this point.

My gut feeling is that Poz will be the starter at MLB, and Lynch will get the majority of work in the backfield, come September 9th.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4982

Is he blowing smoke or is Digorgio really getting better ?
        If I'm DiGorgio I'm keeping my dorm room locked at night.

Comment

• cocamide
          • Oct 2006

I really hope we actually do use a RBC. I wish we would've used it last year with McGahee and A-Train and a couple of years ago with McGahee and Henry. No point in having a guy carry the ball 400 times a year when there's others to can also take part of the workload. Honestly, this is probably one of the reason's Larry Johnson hasn't been signed. How many years can he carry the ball 400 times?

Comment

• blotsfan
            • Apr 2007

What? This is an outrage! He coaches for the BUFFALO Bills. He should stick to an American bank! This means the Bills are moving to Toronto next year!
            Without hope there is nothing to live for (you can tell I'm a Buffalo guy)

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              It's the second day of camp. I wouldn't put too much stock in any "long term" pronouncements at this point.

My gut feeling is that Poz will be the starter at MLB, and Lynch will get the majority of work in the backfield, come September 9th.
              Come on, if Puz can't start over DiGiorgio, ...

DiGiorgio may earn and OLB spot, but expect Puz to start. You don't draft players that high, particularly amidst a net loss on a unit otherwise, and not expect to put them in as a starter immediately. And if it did happen that way, then if he weren't starting by week 2 or 3, the entire known football world would be all over Jauron like white on rice.

Furthermore, what would it say for our D unit if DiGiorgio who's 6'2" yet weighs only the 220s albeit close to 230, had him in the middle. We already have the smallest DL in the league unless someone can name a smaller one that I don't think exists. Ellison isn't "big" by today's LB standards. Crowell is average or so.

I mean we simply cannot continue to defy physics and logic and expect much.

As to DiGiorgio, this team's credibility for players performances in insisting how they will play is shot. It's a "show me" only scenario now. There is absolutely no reason on earth other than mere words to expect that DiGiorgio will start this year let alone even be on the roster next season or in '09. He's done absolutely nothing in the NFL to date including as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by cocamide
                I really hope we actually do use a RBC. I wish we would've used it last year with McGahee and A-Train and a couple of years ago with McGahee and Henry. No point in having a guy carry the ball 400 times a year when there's others to can also take part of the workload. Honestly, this is probably one of the reason's Larry Johnson hasn't been signed. How many years can he carry the ball 400 times?
                We should never have gotten rid of Henry. Thomas should have flat out replaced McGahee last season as the F/T starter. McG should have played purely backup.

Thomas is a better rusher than McG. All the things about McG that everyone said he's bring to the NFL, absolutely nothing has materialized. No particular speed, agility, moves, corner speed, "smashmouth" rushing ability, etc. Absolutely nothing as the Ravens will find out unless McG was sandbagging it with us just waiting to get out.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Lynch is already getting a majority of the carries. I don't see anything close to a RBBC. I think that the job is Lynch's as long as he proves he can handle it.

As for Poz....that guy is much faster that I thought and he is huge. I see him dominating in the MLB position for us and DiGiorgio will be a good backup/special teamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    Lynch is already getting a majority of the carries. I don't see anything close to a RBBC. I think that the job is Lynch's as long as he proves he can handle it.

As for Poz....that guy is much faster that I thought and he is huge. I see him dominating in the MLB position for us and DiGiorgio will be a good backup/special teamer.
                    The bottom line is that if a 12th overall selection ends up platooning for the entire season, then it does not warrant such a pick. Players selected among the top 20 at least, perhaps more, should be expected to start virtually immediately barring unusual circumstances such as QBs "getting their feet wet" etc.

We have so few draft picks and FAs to take over starting roles, that this FO absolutely needs to begin producing something other than mediocrity in their acquisitions.

Lynch and Puz will both be starting exclusively by week 2. If not, then that means problems for our team in one form or another.

It's not as if Lynch is trying to unseat Tomlinson here. Puz steps into a situation where all but two LBs have equal starting NFL experience as himself, and it can be questioned as to whether the two that do are even better than he is now.

If either player cannot succeed, at least in terms of cementing a starting role, then we shouldn't even wait until midseason to begin questioning those whose brain child it was to draft them.

And mind, you, I'm suggesting that both will be starting and playing better than their competing players in those positions. Just stating the notion that these two absolutely need to be starting and virtually from the onset of the season.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                      The bottom line is that if a 12th overall selection ends up platooning for the entire season, then it does not warrant such a pick. Players selected among the top 20 at least, perhaps more, should be expected to start virtually immediately barring unusual circumstances such as QBs "getting their feet wet" etc.

We have so few draft picks and FAs to take over starting roles, that this FO absolutely needs to begin producing something other than mediocrity in their acquisitions.

Lynch and Puz will both be starting exclusively by week 2. If not, then that means problems for our team in one form or another.

It's not as if Lynch is trying to unseat Tomlinson here. Puz steps into a situation where all but two LBs have equal starting NFL experience as himself, and it can be questioned as to whether the two that do are even better than he is now.

If either player cannot succeed, at least in terms of cementing a starting role, then we shouldn't even wait until midseason to begin questioning those whose brain child it was to draft them.

And mind, you, I'm suggesting that both will be starting and playing better than their competing players in those positions. Just stating the notion that these two absolutely need to be starting and virtually from the onset of the season.
                      Poz....NOT Puz!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

I remember seeing DiG make some plays last year, only because I'd think (or say) who the heck is that? Then I saw the back of his jersey. That was in spot duty as an undrafted free agent. I could see the possibility that he could make some noise as a 2nd year player. That said, I do expect to see Poz start at the middle; I just don't know why, after seeing guys like Pat Williams and Jason Peters come out of nowhere, people can't believe that an udfa might actually be playing good football.

As for Lynch, I like the idea of keeping it RBBC, but with Lynch heading up that committee. RB is a position that, talent wise, rookies have been known to come in and tear it up. But teams have to be careful not to overuse them, as their bodies just aren't used to a 16 game, NFL-caliber pounding. We don't want to see Lynch overused this year, and ruin him for future years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          Poz....NOT Puz!
                          Sorry, it was "Puz" in the Buff News when we signed him.

I will make the correction for the future.

Chalk up another one for those indicting my "predictions." LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                            I remember seeing DiG make some plays last year, only because I'd think (or say) who the heck is that? Then I saw the back of his jersey. That was in spot duty as an undrafted free agent. I could see the possibility that he could make some noise as a 2nd year player. That said, I do expect to see Poz start at the middle; I just don't know why, after seeing guys like Pat Williams and Jason Peters come out of nowhere, people can't believe that an udfa might actually be playing good football.

As for Lynch, I like the idea of keeping it RBBC, but with Lynch heading up that committee. RB is a position that, talent wise, rookies have been known to come in and tear it up. But teams have to be careful not to overuse them, as their bodies just aren't used to a 16 game, NFL-caliber pounding. We don't want to see Lynch overused this year, and ruin him for future years.
                            If we have to mollycoddle Lynch to such an extent, then he wasn't a good signing.

He should be able to get a good 300 touches and average at least 15 carries a game. We will be down often and early limiting the number of times that we can run anyway, so the opps there won't be all that extensive.

The team should start Thomas in week one and work in Lynch. Week two Lynch starts and gets spelled by Thomas when necessary. Keep in mind that Thomas is still a good short yardage back that can be used very effectively on GtGs or other short-yardage situations if Lynch needs a rest.

Last year we ran fewer plays than any other team in the league. While hopefully that won't be the case this year for obvious reasons, it also likely will not mean that we jump up 20 spots in that way either. So Lynch's opps likely won't be too onerous.

As to DiG, he's small and lanky insofar as LBs go. The chances of him at his size amounting to much more than a role player are slim.

As to his "contributions," I'd love to know what qualifies there. He had 8 tackles broken down as follows:

Mia: On Welker on a KR (20 Yard Return)
                            Chi: Devon Hester (POB following a 21 Yard PR), had one more STs tackle according to TOS
                            NE: Kevin Faulk, KR, 17 yards
                            GB: Tackled Bodiford on KR for 22 yards, and Bodiford again on a PR for 1 yard.
                            IND: Terrence Wilkins 33 yards, KR
                            HOU: Wynn, PR, 17 yards
                            Jax: Jones-Drew, 20 yards KR

OK then, so just to pick your brain here, he had no tackles at all as a LB, ... none.

So when you say you saw him make some plays, they clearly must have come from those listed, which were clearly, if we can at least agree there, made on STs.

Most of those weren't exactly of a "stellar" variety, particularly considering that we had the #1 STs unit in the league. I mean as a case in point, if our coverage units reflected proportionally exactly what DiG did, then I find it extremely difficult, read impossible, for us to have been ranked 1st or even close.

So, and not at all trying to be confrontational here, rather just trying to understand the perspective/angle/justification for your statements which clearly counter my own, namely that DiG is merely one enormous question mark with an undersized, poorlly proportioned body, no seeming strength or other asset including speed, and with no starting experience and even minimal experience at all as a LB, how do you come up with the notion of anything any different and given that he was an undrafted free agent?

Help me out here! Because my insinuation will be that he won't even be on this team this time next season and that if we can get solid STs performance from him as a role player there, that that'll be the extent of it and we should consider ourselves fortunate. Also, the STs play that he provided last year I do not consider "solid." It was below average.

Comment

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                              Sorry, it was "Puz" in the Buff News when we signed him.

I will make the correction for the future.

Chalk up another one for those indicting my "predictions." LOL
                              So which is it then, Puz or Poz?

I thought that the BuffNews quote was from someone at PSU.

Which is correct?

I'll do some research at PSU sites....

Comment

Working...
                              X