PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I don't get!

WG
03-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Many are miffed that we didn't get Sam Adams for as much or more money than it would have cost us to get Thornton, a much quicker DT who's gots some pass rushing skills too and who would have been solid here for at least 6 seasons if we'd wanted for a very reasonable contract.

Now everyone's miffed that we didn't sign a guy w/ a fraction of the upside, huge downside, when we didn't even talk to Thornton!

I just don't get it. I was upset about not getting Thornton, the best all-around DT available in FAcy. I was told to be patient! Now everyone is all upset that we didn't sign an overpriced DT who has serious injury/health issues and one who is likely to follow in the footsteps of Washington and who's play may very well erode extremely quickly!

You guys can put down TD for this "non-sign" all you want, but I'll support him on this hook, line, and sinker! We just got out of cap hell. Overpaying a guy like Adams who's play took a significant step downward last season is not a wise move. I'd rather see us expend the cap money on signing some of the players who's contracts are up soon.

We'll find a DT in June 1st cuts or the draft! Thornton was the guy, but since we didn't even bring him in for an interview, I'll blame TD for that, not for not signing Adams to the incentive laden contract that he's gonna have to accept if he wants what he's asking. He'll get it, but only when/after he puts up the numbers that he wants the cash for!

Nice move TD!!!

ct bills fan
03-19-2003, 03:14 PM
You'll blame TD for not even bringing Thorton in for an interview?? Don't you think TD and GW know a little bit more than us about Thorton?? GW coached him directly for two years. If they didn't bring him in, they probably know something about him that we don't.

don137
03-19-2003, 03:18 PM
I wanted Thorton too but the timing of it wasn't in TD's favor. TD wanted to address the linebacker position first. He went after Spikes. While waiting to hear from Cincy on whether or not they would match the offer Cincy signed Thorton. If Cincy never matched Spikes and then signed Thorton two weeks later than we could fault TD. There also wasn't much of a window between when Peerless was traded and when Thorton was signed by Cincy so the money at the time was not there.

The Spaz
03-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Thornton wasn't proven either he may or may not have a breakout season who knows. I would have like Adams more only because if Sam Adams wants to play then he can tear it up but if he's only plays for the money then I'm glad we let him go. I too am glad we have TD as our GM he is shrewd negotiator and he will not have wool pulled over his eyes. Wat to go TD keep up the good work. Go Bills!

lordofgun
There are 32 teams in the league. We can't sign everyone.

Ebenezer
Maybe Thornton told them to stick a sharp stick in their eye.

Bulldog
03-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I think Tatonka is the only one who is really upset. IMO, Adams is not worth the kind of money he wants.

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Let bye gones be bye gones. Thornton is signed away and isn't available anymore. Let's focus on the guys still out there.

LOG, can we make a rule that anyone that mentions the name Thornton again (starting this very second) will have 500 zbs automatically taken out of their pockets?

shelby
03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

:bf1:

SoCalBillsFan
03-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Well with that attitude we sure can't :shakeno:

WG
03-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ct bills fan
You'll blame TD for not even bringing Thorton in for an interview?? Don't you think TD and GW know a little bit more than us about Thorton?? GW coached him directly for two years. If they didn't bring him in, they probably know something about him that we don't.

Yeah, he coached Robinson too! And TD was Farris' GM too!

So what now Einstein?!

:D

WG
03-19-2003, 04:10 PM
137, Spaz, LOG, EB,

Nice points. I won't argue or belabor Thornton getting away, all I'm saying is that if I were gonna be miffed at TD about a DL move, it surely isn't going to be this Adams thing.

I think w/ the moving of Price, especially for a first round selection, that TD is doing a tremendous job overall and has earned our patience.

Doc
03-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Take a look at NFL.com's gamebooks for Titans games for the last half of the season. What you'll find interesting is that in Thornton's last 8 games, he recorded a total of 5 tackles. That's it. Now maybe his job was to tie-up blockers and that's it, but I found it hard to get excited over the guy.

The Spaz
03-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks WYS! I really think we will be getting a stud DT in the draft with either staying at our 23rd pick or possibly moving up. Every draft report that I have gotten has given this crop a A+-A- and that is stocked well into the 2nd rnd. Our other DT spot will be filled and filled well thanks to TD. Go Bills!

TedMock
03-19-2003, 04:20 PM
I wanted Adams but not at a big price for reasons that Wys touched on. Obviously TD's gonna be off on some things but hind site is 20/20 right? Don't forget that Farris was an Outland Trophy winner who ended up injured right away. I think he was a cheap "potential" guy. They got rid of him within a year. Eddie Robinson was a solid LB before he lost a step which is the year we happen to get him! I do think that Thornton would've been a great pickup too. As far as tackles stats go with DT's, toss em out the window. Like Doc just mentioned ....tie up blockers. That's a DT's primary responsibility anyway. Free up the LB's, allow them to see the field and run around and make tackles.

The Spaz
03-19-2003, 04:23 PM
My counter point is that Pat Williams does the same thing and he is way more valuable that Sam Adams! Go Bills!

Tatonka
03-19-2003, 04:24 PM
ingtar stated (and maybe you are a better judge of talent than he is :rolleyes: ) that you very rarely find a talent in the draft that is gonna show up and play at a high level right away..

seymour is the only DT that anyone can really say did that in his first year.. and that started about week 12..

other than that? no one..

sure we might get a guy who could be good in a couple of years.. that should be right about the time that half our o line and rb, wr and defense are leaving via free agency..

should be fun

The Spaz
03-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Have I told you to relax already...lol:)! Go Bills!

Novacane
03-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Go to bed early tonight Tat. You'll feel a lot better in the morning

casdhf
03-19-2003, 04:42 PM
I think we could fill the Ralph with all the things you don't get :D

:jk:

shelby
03-19-2003, 04:53 PM
:doh: