• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Why Ralph Wilson must make sure the Buffalo Bills stay here

Dear Ralph:

Kindly forgive the familiar salutation, but you and I go way back. As with many Buffalo Bills fans, my attachment to your team began when I was young.

I recall vividly an autumn afternoon in 1962 when I was 7 years old, walking out of War Memorial Stadium after quarterback Al Dorrow’s play was so poor that backup Warren Raab was called in. Neither of them could produce victory that day. But the team’s performance didn’t affect my youthful spirit, and as I left the stadium with my parents, I waved high my blue Bills pennant with its bucking buffalo.

“I wouldn’t be so proud of them today,” a man said brusquely as our paths crossed and my gyrating pennant caught his dark overcoat. After he quickly passed, another fan leaned over me and whispered, “Don’t mind his mood — that’s Ralph Wilson and he owns this sorry bunch.”

I was at the stadium the night of the infamous “beer can incident” against the New York Titans, when sheets of liquid rained down on both teams as they left the field. Along with my mother and brother, I attended every home game from 1963 through 1965. Our section fiercely debated the relative abilities of quarterbacks Daryle Lamonica and Jack Kemp. I can still picture the Bell Aerospace man with his futuristic jetpack soaring from end zone to end zone. And I can still hear the violent sound of Mike Stratton colliding with Keith Lincoln in the 1964 AFL championship game.

In the early 1960s I rode my bike to training camp in Hamburg, and was thrilled when Cookie Gilchrist — his enormous hands larger than my head — graciously autographed my notepad without my even asking. On summer days, I’d pester my mother to drive me to players’ homes, where I’d knock on their front doors, and when their bemused young wives peered out and saw me standing there with pen and paper, they’d shout back inside, “Honey, it’s for you.”

This is all by way of saying that on the matter of being a Bills fan, my papers are in order. While my emotional relationship with the team can’t match your economic ties to them, the Buffalo Bills helped shape my youth. Following the team back then remains a powerful memory.

In this way, I’m like tens of thousands of boys who pledged allegiance to the Bills in the past, as well as untold numbers of young people who shall do so in the future.

Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why Ralph Wilson must make sure the Buffalo Bills stay here

that miserable Old Fart doesn't care.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• seanbillsfan
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      Dear Ralph:

Kindly forgive the familiar salutation, but you and I go way back. As with many Buffalo Bills fans, my attachment to your team began when I was young.

I recall vividly an autumn afternoon in 1962 when I was 7 years old, walking out of War Memorial Stadium after quarterback Al Dorrow’s play was so poor that backup Warren Raab was called in. Neither of them could produce victory that day. But the team’s performance didn’t affect my youthful spirit, and as I left the stadium with my parents, I waved high my blue Bills pennant with its bucking buffalo.

“I wouldn’t be so proud of them today,” a man said brusquely as our paths crossed and my gyrating pennant caught his dark overcoat. After he quickly passed, another fan leaned over me and whispered, “Don’t mind his mood — that’s Ralph Wilson and he owns this sorry bunch.”

I was at the stadium the night of the infamous “beer can incident” against the New York Titans, when sheets of liquid rained down on both teams as they left the field. Along with my mother and brother, I attended every home game from 1963 through 1965. Our section fiercely debated the relative abilities of quarterbacks Daryle Lamonica and Jack Kemp. I can still picture the Bell Aerospace man with his futuristic jetpack soaring from end zone to end zone. And I can still hear the violent sound of Mike Stratton colliding with Keith Lincoln in the 1964 AFL championship game.

In the early 1960s I rode my bike to training camp in Hamburg, and was thrilled when Cookie Gilchrist — his enormous hands larger than my head — graciously autographed my notepad without my even asking. On summer days, I’d pester my mother to drive me to players’ homes, where I’d knock on their front doors, and when their bemused young wives peered out and saw me standing there with pen and paper, they’d shout back inside, “Honey, it’s for you.”

This is all by way of saying that on the matter of being a Bills fan, my papers are in order. While my emotional relationship with the team can’t match your economic ties to them, the Buffalo Bills helped shape my youth. Following the team back then remains a powerful memory.

In this way, I’m like tens of thousands of boys who pledged allegiance to the Bills in the past, as well as untold numbers of young people who shall do so in the future.

http://www.buffalonews.com/248/story/129649.html
      that is the post ive read on this site so far. i would give this post a 1000 thanks if i could

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Maybe Ralph will have an epiphany, along the lines of: "Gee, the fans and taxpayers of Western New York turned my $25,000 investment into $627 Million. Perhaps I should reward them by making an effort to keep the team here."

But probably not.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
          that miserable Old Fart doesn't care.
          You forgot "...about anyone but himself in spite of his big lip service to the contrary and basking in media statements as to how great an owner he is to the fans."

No doubt.

Comment

Working...
          X