PDA

View Full Version : Walker will not hold out, now that he is a Bear! What a bunch of crap!

Michael82
07-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Walker, meanwhile, hit a contract impasse with the Bills upon arriving there this past March after six seasons with Philadelphia. He had requested a trade from the Eagles, seeking a new contract, and said he had hoped all along to go to the Bears.

“Fortunately, it turned around and worked out for me,” he said.

Walker demanded a new contract before joining Buffalo, which faced deadline pressure to sign him or trade him – as a condition of the trade with the Eagles, he would have gone back to Philadelphia in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick if he did not report to camp by Aug. 5.

Walker has two seasons remaining on his current contract, with salaries of $1.3 million and $1.4 million, and hopes to renegotiate with the Bears.

Regardless, he is happier to be with his new team – in large part, he said, because of the Bears’ status as a preseason Super Bowl contender – and will not let contractual issues get in the way this time.

“The new deal will be talked about [today],” said Walker’s agent, Albert Irby. “We’ll take a one-year deal. We’ll do whatever it takes. We’re not going to hold out.”

Angelo dodged a question about the possibility of renegotiating with Walker.

“We traded for his existing contract and we’ll just leave it at that,” the GM said.

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/07/30/sports/nfl/bears/doc46adb8bd3ee0a372243100.txt

**** You, Darwin Walker! It wasn't just about the money...was it? You didn't want to be here. :ill: :mad:

Michael82
07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh and if this is all it took, then I'm even more pissed. We had the cap money to pull this off.... :ill:

The Bears did not extend Walker's contract, but a source said the deal was restructured to pay Walker some of the money up front in the form of a bonus.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070729bearsbits,1,3787557.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

don137
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
You can't fault Marv when a player who is above average just does not want to be here. I can not stand athletes that dictate who they will or won't play with.
I hate for players to get injured but if Walker gets hurt I won't feel any remorse for him. He screwed Buffalo and his fans. What an A$$h@#*

Pinkerton Security
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Ya it is obvious he didnt want to be in Bflo. Granted, he didnt publicly bash Buffalo or anything, but I'll never root for him again, and I have more reason to hate the Bears now (Grossman alone made me hate them last year). Heres to Darwin Walker playing every play this year and sucking!

don137
07-30-2007, 08:16 AM
I think Walker did not bash Buffalo and would of played for Buffalo is Buffalo overpaid for his services. Anything less like playing he said no way

Michael82
07-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Ya it is obvious he didnt want to be in Bflo. Granted, he didnt publicly bash Buffalo or anything, but I'll never root for him again, and I have more reason to hate the Bears now (Grossman alone made me hate them last year). Heres to Darwin Walker playing every play this year and sucking!
Good point...we can't hope that he gets hurt and missed the season because then we will get a crappier pick. But I hope he is 100% healthy and starts every single game and is on the field for most of the snaps. But I hope he sucks badly at the same time. **** you, Walker! :mad:

madness
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Angelo dodged a question about the possibility of renegotiating with Walker.

“We traded for his existing contract and we’ll just leave it at that,” the GM said.

:popcorn:

OpIv37
07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
You can't fault Marv when a player who is above average just does not want to be here. I can not stand athletes that dictate who they will or won't play with.
I hate for players to get injured but if Walker gets hurt I won't feel any remorse for him. He screwed Buffalo and his fans. What an A$$h@#*

you can fault Marv for not finding that out ahead of time. Walker was given leeway by Philly to seek a trade so it wasn't like he didn't have a part in the negotiations.

You also have to wonder what the FO is doing that guys like Spikes and Walker don't want to be here....

ddaryl
07-30-2007, 08:27 AM
I knew it was a case of Walker not wanting to be a Bill, and only wanting to be here if he was overpaid.

I'm happy it is 100% clear now. In hindsight things worked out just fine. We got what we could for Spikes, and parlayed it into something a little bit more. Better then letting stay on the roster eat cap money, take away reps from our young LB's and probbaly never return to his old self.

OP

Spikes wanted to goto a contender. he didn't want to be part of a rebuild project. You do know that don't you, and the Bills didn't want to keep an agingn, injured expensive un-content player

As for Walker.... it is obvious he didn't want to make the Bills better he just wanted to goto a team he felt woudl carry his ass to the palyoffs.

Wys Guy
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
**** You, Darwin Walker! It wasn't just about the money...was it? You didn't want to be here. :ill: :mad:

And what does this tell you?

Ickybaluky
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Two points:

1) Like it or not, the Bears were in the Super Bowl last year and will be viewed as more of a contender than the Bills, who haven't made the playoffs in years.

2) Walker's wife is from Chicago and he went to school there. Her family still lives there, including her father who is a recently retired Chicago police officer.

bigbub2352
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Well this explains it, Darwin, overratted Walker wanted not to be a part of the Buffalo Bills, hence the holdout, go play in Chicago get your meaningless sacks and improve the conditional 5th we got so we can draft a real DT, not some premadonna pussy

cocamide
07-30-2007, 08:35 AM
I wish him the best. In fact, I hope he breaks a leg this year, literally.

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Two points:

1) Like it or not, the Bears were in the Super Bowl last year and will be viewed as more of a contender than the Bills, who haven't made the playoffs in years.

2) Walker's wife is from Chicago and he went to school there. Her family still lives there, including her father who is a recently retired Chicago police officer.
I can understand why he'd rather play for the Bears. But wouldn't it be hilarious if the Bears go 6-10 this year?

Michael82
07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
I can understand why he'd rather play for the Bears. But wouldn't it be hilarious if the Bears go 6-10 this year?
yeah it would. :rofl:

It would also be hilarious if the Bills go 10-6 and the Eagles go 6-10. :snicker:

duhbilz
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I knew it was a case of Walker not wanting to be a Bill, and only wanting to be here if he was overpaid.

I'm happy it is 100% clear now. In hindsight things worked out just fine. We got what we could for Spikes, and parlayed it into something a little bit more. Better then letting stay on the roster eat cap money, take away reps from our young LB's and probbaly never return to his old self.

OP

Spikes wanted to goto a contender. he didn't want to be part of a rebuild project. You do know that don't you, and the Bills didn't want to keep an agingn, injured expensive un-content player

As for Walker.... it is obvious he didn't want to make the Bills better he just wanted to goto a team he felt woudl carry his ass to the palyoffs.

You think it's wrong that he wants to play for a contender? If the Bills were in the Bears position and players around the league wanted to play for the Bills, would you have an issue with that? I seriously doubt it. This isn't about Walker, it's about the FO and why every year players say they don't want to be in Buffalo or players Buffalo want, don't want to be in Buffalo. It's about dedication to winning, and obviously some players don't see that.

The blame needs to be placed where it's due, not on Marv cause he can only do what he can do. It comes down to the owner and his dedication to winning. Signing one or two FA's to big contracts doesn't prove you're dedicated, it's what you do with the rest of the contracts, it's what draws FA and players you make trades for to sign with you. Players talk to other players, and they get a feel for an organization before they even make a FA visit. They know what teams are dedicated to winning and which ones are dedicated to making money.

Buffalo is a small market, but it has nothing to do with winning. You either add the players needed to win and let the money follow, or you don't. Don't attack the players because they are doing the same thing anyone in their position would do. It's about two things in the NFL winning and money, you want either one or the other as a player, coach or owner. Since the Bills don't win a whole lot nor do they spend a lot of money it sure makes it hard to attract players to the team.

Pinkerton Security
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
you can fault Marv for not finding that out ahead of time. Walker was given leeway by Philly to seek a trade so it wasn't like he didn't have a part in the negotiations.

You also have to wonder what the FO is doing that guys like Spikes and Walker don't want to be here....

he obviously had some idea that there was going to be trouble, im sure philly wasnt just like "hey, and by the way, if he doesnt happen to show up for you guys, we can just give you like...i dont know....how about a 6th rounder?"

Marv put in place the provision, whether you think it is good enough or not, so that if walker didnt come to terms, that he would be sent back. This tells us that he did know and did what he could to combat it.

OpIv37
07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
he obviously had some idea that there was going to be trouble, im sure philly wasnt just like "hey, and by the way, if he doesnt happen to show up for you guys, we can just give you like...i dont know....how about a 6th rounder?"

Marv put in place the provision, whether you think it is good enough or not, so that if walker didnt come to terms, that he would be sent back. This tells us that he did know and did what he could to combat it.

the way I see it, Marv put HIMSELF under a deadline that would result in less value for our trade if he didn't make it. Chicago took Walker for a 5th that may end up being a 4th, so obviously he was worth more than a 6th.

It's like selling someone a snowblower in April for $1000, but if they don't get to use it by September, you have to give them $200 back.

Pinkerton Security
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
the way I see it, Marv put HIMSELF under a deadline that would result in less value for our trade if he didn't make it. Chicago took Walker for a 5th that may end up being a 4th, so obviously he was worth more than a 6th.

It's like selling someone a snowblower in April for $1000, but if they don't get to use it by September, you have to give them $200 back.

Well then I'll give him credit for realizing he had a higher value than a 6th round pick, and then going out and gaining that extra round or 2. They could have easily let him slide back to the Iggles for a 6th, but we possibly moved up 2 rounds. The deal wasnt perfect, we all know that, but I am happy with how it turned out.

The Spaz
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
And what does this tell you?

If you don't like this team you can leave too!!:check:

BAM
07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Awesome.

We have 10 draft picks next year so far.

Jan Reimers
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
If they keep Grossman at QB, it could very well happen.

Saratoga Slim
07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
what they're doing is not being a perennial playoff team. that's why aging vets who may only have a couple seasons left aren't tripping over themselves to come here, as those guys want to go somewhere where they're pretty sure they've got a high probability of post-season action. we're building with youth to assemble a team that will be very competitive a year or so from now, which isn't that attractive a situation for a guy like Spikes or Walker.

that said, **** Walker anyway.

ddaryl
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
You think it's wrong that he wants to play for a contender? If the Bills were in the Bears position and players around the league wanted to play for the Bills, would you have an issue with that? I seriously doubt it. This isn't about Walker, it's about the FO and why every year players say they don't want to be in Buffalo or players Buffalo want, don't want to be in Buffalo. It's about dedication to winning, and obviously some players don't see that.

The blame needs to be placed where it's due, not on Marv cause he can only do what he can do. It comes down to the owner and his dedication to winning. Signing one or two FA's to big contracts doesn't prove you're dedicated, it's what you do with the rest of the contracts, it's what draws FA and players you make trades for to sign with you. Players talk to other players, and they get a feel for an organization before they even make a FA visit. They know what teams are dedicated to winning and which ones are dedicated to making money.

Buffalo is a small market, but it has nothing to do with winning. You either add the players needed to win and let the money follow, or you don't. Don't attack the players because they are doing the same thing anyone in their position would do. It's about two things in the NFL winning and money, you want either one or the other as a player, coach or owner. Since the Bills don't win a whole lot nor do they spend a lot of money it sure makes it hard to attract players to the team.

LMAO

I agree with the Bills not trying to pay Walker. I am happy with the draft pick, and I see nothing wrong with what has transpired here.

Marv got what he could for Spikes and parlayed it into something a little more. If Walker did show up then great but he didn't nad we have an extra pick to help continue the building process next year.

that being said I will always have an issue with a player who doesn't want ot play in Buffalo. Walker tried to get the Bills to overpay, and the Bills FO held firm instead of caving.

I have to say I 110% diagree with everything ya just posted. I'm quite content with what the Bills are doing. Walker only wanted to play for Buffalo with we overpaid... Spikes was an aginf vet who wasn't worth what he was being paid.

I don't want players like Walker representing Buffalo ever, and I applaud the FO for holding firm, unlike TD who would roll over for a vet... and it looks like Walker is more then willing to take a lot less to play for a percieved contender... Hey I don't hate him for that, but I have 0 respect for him.

HAMMER
07-30-2007, 11:03 AM

As hard as it is for those of us who love WNY to hear, no he didn't want to be here. If I had no history with the region and had to choose between a contender in a big city like Chicago, and Buffalo, the choice would be easy. Especially if my wife had family in Chicago as Walkers wife does, no brainer, so don't take it to heart. I would imagine Chicago has been picking his brain, putting a bug in his ear since Tank got suspended. Walker and his agent played this very well, Buffalo's FO, not so well.

DynaPaul
07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
It'd be so ironic if the Bears don't even make the playoffs and we do. It could happen, Grossman isn't going to get any better.

duhbilz
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
LMAO
I have to say I 110% diagree with everything ya just posted. I'm quite content with what the Bills are doing. Walker only wanted to play for Buffalo with we overpaid... Spikes was an aginf vet who wasn't worth what he was being paid.

The beauty of a message board is that you don't have to agree with everything everyone thinks or says. Regardless, if you wish to think it's always everyone and everything but the Bills organization that's your choice, but this isn't an isolated incident. Every year there seems to be someone that either doesn't want to join or wants to leave Buffalo. It's routine.