X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PromoTheRobot
    • Sep 2003

Marv sticks to his guns re: Walker

You may think we screwed the pooch on Darwin Walker. We had the money to pay him a one-year deal, so why didn't we? Credibility.

Say you are a Bills player. You just had a good year. Marv wants to negotiate an extension. You like team, the city, you know The Bills are a little poor, so you give a hometown discount to stay. You're happy. Two weeks later the Bills trade for a player who throws a tantrum the second he arrives and demands a new contract for big money or he's not showing up for camp.

Two things can happen:

a) The Bills cave in and pay the guy more money than you got. This for a guy who hasn't shed one drop of blood for the team. You feel like an idiot and you will ask for a new deal or trade next year.

b) The Bills ignore the loudmouth, offer him a one-year deal for what he was getting, and if he doesn't like it he can get out of town. In the meantime, the Bills continue to negotiate extensions for the guys who gave it all for the team. You feel like made the right decision.

It comes down to credibility. Marv has it in spades. When he says something, you know he means it. When you play for the Bills, you know you will be treated like a man and not be lied to. If you don't think that counts for something, you're mistaken. If the Bills can't pay players out the wazoo, they need to create a team players want to play for, even if it means a few less bucks.

Git 'er done, Marv.

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Marv sticks to his guns re: Walker

I'm still waiting for the goodwill that the Nate deal got us.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Excellent post!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

or maybe the FO shouldn't trade for a disgruntled player without agreeing to a deal in principle in the first place, and creating a self-imposed deadline to sign the guy in the process. Just a thought.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
          You may think we screwed the pooch on Darwin Walker. We had the money to pay him a one-year deal, so why didn't we? Credibility.

Say you are a Bills player. You just had a good year. Marv wants to negotiate an extension. You like team, the city, you know The Bills are a little poor, so you give a hometown discount to stay. You're happy. Two weeks later the Bills trade for a player who throws a tantrum the second he arrives and demands a new contract for big money or he's not showing up for camp.

Two things can happen:

a) The Bills cave in and pay the guy more money than you got. This for a guy who hasn't shed one drop of blood for the team. You feel like an idiot and you will ask for a new deal or trade next year.

b) The Bills ignore the loudmouth, offer him a one-year deal for what he was getting, and if he doesn't like it he can get out of town. In the meantime, the Bills continue to negotiate extensions for the guys who gave it all for the team. You feel like made the right decision.

It comes down to credibility. Marv has it in spades. When he says something, you know he means it. When you play for the Bills, you know you will be treated like a man and not be lied to. If you don't think that counts for something, you're mistaken. If the Bills can't pay players out the wazoo, they need to create a team players want to play for, even if it means a few less bucks.

Git 'er done, Marv.

PTR
          Now this is a guy who gets it.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Marv looked like a dufus on this one and there is no sugar coating it. He traded for a guy who didn't want to be here and brought negative publicity to this organization again. There is nothing positive about this.

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

Good move by Marv to increase the compensation for Spikes.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

trust in The Marv and find
                Attached Files
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Two things can happen:

Git 'er done, Marv.

PTR
                  ROFLMAO!!!

If Marv wants credibility then he can start by not paying Langston Walker what he got, giving Peerless Price four times more than anyone else would have, which was veteran minimum, paying Robert Royal as our highest paid TE ever, etc., etc.

The most credible thing that Marv can do is to retire.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                    Marv looked like a dufus on this one and there is no sugar coating it. He traded for a guy who didn't want to be here and brought negative publicity to this organization again. There is nothing positive about this.
                    I'm sure I'm a Bills hater for agreeing with this logical post.

Am I the only one that thinks Spikes playing this year is better than the 5th and 7th pick we get next year?

The 2007 season hasn't begun and we are already getting excited about picks in 2008? Call me crazy but I'd like to try for a playoff birth this year. I'm 40 years old and I've had two friends die of cancer that will never see a Bills, or for that matter, a Sabres championship. I'm kind of over "next year."

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                      Your an idiot, man. What negative pub? The asshats on Sirius NFL Radio knocking us? Whoop-dee-frickin'-do. I could care less. You worry about winning popularity contests with the press. I'll put my money on Marv putting together a winner.

PTR
                      10 Commandments of the D
                      1. Never stop Rocking.
                      2. Legalize all drugs.
                      3. Quit your day job.
                      4. All Religion should be taxed.
                      5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                      6. F**k her gently.
                      7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                      8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                      9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                      10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Your an idiot, man. What negative pub? The asshats on Sirius NFL Radio knocking us? Whoop-dee-frickin'-do. I could care less. You worry about winning popularity contests with the press. I'll put my money on Marv putting together a winner.

PTR
                        when you get negative press, players don't want to come here and it makes it a lot more difficult to put together a winner. It doesn't exactly make our team look attractive to FA's when you got high profile players like Spikes and Moulds and a high-profile situation with Walker whining to the media about how they don't want to be in Buffalo.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I'm not happy about the Walker situation, but allow me to laugh at the guy above who suggests Levy should retire. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The guy has been here for barely over a year and is clearly improving the Bills since his arrival. This is going to be a very good team by 2008 (hell, if McCargo steps up, maybe this year), so why should Levy retire? Completely asinine.

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Carlton Bailey
                            I'm not happy about the Walker situation, but allow me to laugh at the guy above who suggests Levy should retire. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The guy has been here for barely over a year and is clearly improving the Bills since his arrival. This is going to be a very good team by 2008 (hell, if McCargo steps up, maybe this year), so why should Levy retire? Completely asinine.
                            Welcome to chicken sauce boys world.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

To say this is posturing to get players to play here for less money is hillarious.

Two things can happen:

Git 'er done, Marv.

PTR

Comment

Working...
                              X