PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Walker - five years, $25 million

Carlton Bailey
07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2956594&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) and defensive tackle Darwin Walker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5100) agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract on Tuesday, two days after the team acquired him in a trade with Buffalo.
Walker will earn about $2 million this season, plus $8 million to $9 million in bonuses and possibly another $3.5 million in incentives over the length of the contract, according to his agent Albert Irby.
"When Darwin got there, he liked it," Irby said. "They liked him. So everyone was anxious to get something done."

Carlton Bailey
07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry, mods. I accidentally created the same thread twice. Can you please delete the other one? Thanks.

cordog
07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
HA!! Can you say overpaid??? Thank you Marv!!

venis2k1
07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
bye!!

camelcowboy
07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
he's not worth that.

The Spaz
07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
He wanted that? Good lord!?

HHURRICANE
07-31-2007, 09:13 PM
he's not worth that.

Obviously he is.

The Spaz
07-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Obviously he is.

How about overpaid...

Mitchy moo
07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I hope he plays well, it may get us a higher draft pick.

Goobylal
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Any last lingering doubts about the Bills not siging Walker have now been erased. Go out and earn the Bills that 4th rounder, Darwin, in a non-playoff season!

Goobylal
07-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Obviously he is.
Sure, just like Nate was worth $10M a year.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Is Langston Walker worth 25 million?

Meathead
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
im sure he only gets those bonuses for performance. he might end up earning way less than that

frankly two million this year is reasonable. and if he played his way into the bonuses id have no problem with it

i think marv just didnt want his attitude and that was that

The Spaz
07-31-2007, 09:28 PM

Langston Walker will be a starter for us where Darwin would be a rotational player.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2007, 09:30 PM
im sure he only gets those bonuses for performance. he might end up earning way less than that

frankly two million this year is reasonable. and if he played his way into the bonuses id have no problem with it

i think marv just didnt want his attitude and that was that

Well it took Chicago 1 day to do what we couldn't get done in 4 months. After hearing that McCargo is getting man-handled by Butler (who isn't a starter) this seems like a cheap insurnace policy to me.

Philagape
07-31-2007, 09:30 PM
The report differentiates between the bonuses and incentives, so that seems to imply the bonuses are guaranteed. If so, that contract would have been a 10-11 million hit this year for us

cocamide
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Previously, it seemed like he would play for Chicago without a new deal, and since he wouldn't do the same with Buffalo it made the Bills look bad. So, now that people can't say how crappy our front office is, or how the Bills are a horrible orginzation and no one wants to play here. Well, people can still say this I guess, but now they can't use Walker to support their argument. In short, good riddance Walker, and the Bills made the right move by not restructering his contract.

Michael82
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
:bigwave:

Kelly The Dog
07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
The report differentiates between the bonuses and incentives, so that seems to imply the bonuses are guaranteed. If so, that contract would have been a 10-11 million hit this year for us
Bonuses are like roster bonuses, they are completely different than incentives. It says he will make about 2 million this year, that is all the Bears would pay. If the bonuses were guaranteed, the agent would have said so. I'd bet anything they are roster bonuses or something that is completely the team option. And there is probably two of them. It's a win-win for the Bears, IMO. if he's not worth it they let him go after this year. If he plays well, they get him for a couple more at decent money. And it's something we should have done. All we would have paid up front is 2 mil.

The Spaz
07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Well it took Chicago 1 day to do what we couldn't get done in 4 months. After hearing that McCargo is getting man-handled by Butler (who isn't a starter) this seems like a cheap insurnace policy to me.

Apparently you skipped over all the other articles that have praised McCargo...

camelcowboy
07-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Obviously he is. unless the other team has drew bledsoe playing qb every week to give him half his sacks then no. a overated situational pass rushing dt who struggles againts the run isn't worth that money, and im glad marv didn't pay it. Our d-tackles can't stop the run, at least we aren't overpaying for one who won't make us any better.

BillsFever21
07-31-2007, 11:34 PM

Yes he is because Buffalo signed him. Just like Chris Kelsay is worth a million a year more because Buffalo signed him even though Walker has 22 sacks over the last 4 years and Kelsay has 12.5. Not to mention the talent level in back of Kelsay is closer to his level then it would've been from Walker on down on the DT side.

Had Buffalo signed him to this contract then it would've been a good deal. What an embarrasing showing from the Bills when the person they trade Spikes for they couldn't even sign to a contract when they knew ahead of time he wanted one. But I guess Buffalo knows more then the reigning NFC Champions do when it comes to talent evaluating.

Mr. Pink
08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
You all say he's overpaid, not good enough, glad we didn't sign him, etc...after seeing this report. Why not ask yourself a little different question...

Why did we even bother trading for him in the first place?

jmb1099
08-01-2007, 05:18 AM
You all say he's overpaid, not good enough, glad we didn't sign him, etc...after seeing this report. Why not ask yourself a little different question...

Why did we even bother trading for him in the first place?
Its a valid question.
There is little doubt that Marv wanted him to play and I don't doubt that he can probably hold his own. We made offers and they didn't pan out, happens all the time. But here's a question for you to think about in return...why did Walker report to Bills camp on Saturday rather than go back to Philly?

Mr. Pink
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Its a valid question.
There is little doubt that Marv wanted him to play and I don't doubt that he can probably hold his own. We made offers and they didn't pan out, happens all the time. But here's a question for you to think about in return...why did Walker report to Bills camp on Saturday rather than go back to Philly?

I can't even begin to formulate an answer to that outside of maybe, and this is highly hypothetical, he wanted to show respect to the team who didn't have the means to sign him for what he wanted and shipped him elsewhere. Instead of the alternative of being reverted back to Philly.

His experiences in Philly might have been bad enough that he had ZERO desire to go back. So he wanted to show some appreciation for avoiding that from happening?

Just an idea, I guess.

I do agree though obviously Marv saw something in the guy he liked, on top of the fact that Triplett was largely ineffective last year. I just don't get why people around here jump on and off bandwagons so easily. If we woulda gave this guy a 5 year 25 million contract, some people would be singing in the streets.

jmb1099
08-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I can't even begin to formulate an answer to that outside of maybe, and this is highly hypothetical, he wanted to show respect to the team who didn't have the means to sign him for what he wanted and shipped him elsewhere. Instead of the alternative of being reverted back to Philly.

His experiences in Philly might have been bad enough that he had ZERO desire to go back. So he wanted to show some appreciation for avoiding that from happening?

Just an idea, I guess.

I do agree though obviously Marv saw something in the guy he liked, on top of the fact that Triplett was largely ineffective last year. I just don't get why people around here jump on and off bandwagons so easily. If we woulda gave this guy a 5 year 25 million contract, some people would be singing in the streets.
I'm having some similar thoughts. My guess is that even though he couldn't get a deal here, he was at least handled with some respect. Offers were made right up to the deadline but the two sides just couldn't get it done and as a business man he would understand that. So it appears to me he had more faith in Buffalo's front office than Philly's.

Night Train
08-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Let it go. He's history.