PDA

View Full Version : Check this out about Langston Walker

Mr. Miyagi
08-01-2007, 02:07 AM
PRESTON ON WALKER: Talking to Duke Preston about playing alongside Langston Walker he did admit to me he has to adjust his game playing next to a guy that long in the arms and legs and that big. Here are a couple of things he has to adjust when playing alongside him.

"Sometimes when I’m kicking out there on pass I almost have to take shorter steps because he’s still there," said Preston. "He’s moving, but he’s still there because he’s so big. When we work inside running double teams and stuff like that I’m almost fighting the defensive tackle and fighting him getting shoved down inside because he’s coming down so hard and so fast. That momentum from him really moves the pile. So I think if I can try to sit in there and be stout and really set up that three technique so he can come in and blast them. That’ll be a big thing for us and if we can get more reps at that it’ll be a good little system for us.”

When I asked Walker about the fact that Duke is trying to make sure he doesn't get in his way when he crashes down on tackle Walker said to me.

"If I have to block the guy he's getting blocked."

I guess Duke better keep an eye out so he doesn't get caught in a pile of people. Trust me when I tell you it's hard to appreciate 6'8" 366 until you see it in person. I'm not convinced he's a world beater yet, but the guy can mash with anyone.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

:rofl: I can't even imagine how it must feel to get blocked by a guy this big.

Mr. Pink
08-01-2007, 05:02 AM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

:rofl: I can't even imagine how it must feel to get blocked by a guy this big.

I don't think Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter could either.

(shrugs)

Mr. Miyagi
08-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't think Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter could either.

(shrugs)
Sorry I didn't realize has played the entire O-line in Oakland. My bad.

!Papacrunk!
08-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Sorry I didn't realize has played the entire O-line in Oakland. My bad. I may be wrong here, I've been wrong before, but it seems like from what I've picked up from different threads is that one can't blame Langston's contributions for the Raiders bad o-line play, it wasn't his fault, but Dockery is good soley and 100% on his play, not by being surrounded by great lineman helping him look even better. Sorry, didn't mean to divert the message of this thread, just wanted to make an observation

Scumbag College
08-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Walker needs to move to RG, his pass protection is suspect. Putting him there plays to his strengths (size, strength, run blocking) and deemphasizes his weaknesses pass blocking.

mysticsoto
08-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, McNally reportedly really studied Walker on film and came to the conclusion that the problems on that Raiders Oline were not his fault.

Additionally, I liked the moves/changes that were made last year and feel that McNally and the coaching staff have no problem in making midseason adjustments to the line if it becomes necessary.

Mr. Miyagi
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
What is it about the name Langston Walker that draws out all the sad little negative nancies?

Mr. Pink
08-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Probably the fact that all of Raider Nation was happy to see him go. The only positive they could find on him was that he blocked like 4 kicks.

Oh and the fact he gave up more sacks then fingers you can count on both hands.

madness
08-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Well, McNally reportedly really studied Walker on film and came to the conclusion that the problems on that Raiders Oline were not his fault.

Additionally, I liked the moves/changes that were made last year and feel that McNally and the coaching staff have no problem in making midseason adjustments to the line if it becomes necessary.

Not only McNally, but scouts around the league have said the same thing.

R. Rich
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Probably the fact that all of Raider Nation was happy to see him go. The only positive they could find on him was that he blocked like 4 kicks.

Raider Nation as in Raider management, who can't get their draft picks signed and can't even field an offer to the #1 overall pick in the draft that he and his agent will take the time to consider, or the Raider Nation fans who........well, nuff said there. Either way, it's not much of a ringing endorsement.

Walker may well turn out to be not much more than a journeyman, or he may actually become an effective right tackle and stabilize the Bills' line. So far, he's said the right things and, more importantly, done the right things in training camp. The jury's still out, but I can't help but be encouraged.

Bulldog
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM

And you did see the Raiders coaching staff last year, correct? That team was a complete joke, from top to bottom. For the love of christ, they had a guy come out of running a bed & breakfast to be their OC. I'm not saying that Walker wasn't part of the problem on the o-line, but from the sounds of it he has all the tools to be an above average right tackle with the proper coaching. I'd rather wait and see what he can do with McNally before I judge him based on his play with the Raiders last year.

Carlton Bailey
08-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Walker needs to move to RG, his pass protection is suspect. Putting him there plays to his strengths (size, strength, run blocking) and deemphasizes his weaknesses pass blocking.

Couldn't agree more. I think Walker at RG and Terrance Pennington at RT would put the Bills' OL in the best position to succeed. Not sure whether I'm in the minority, but Pennington looked good to me late last season, especially for a seventh-round rookie.

Scumbag College
08-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Couldn't agree more. I think Walker at RG and Terrance Pennington at RT would put the Bills' OL in the best position to succeed. Not sure whether I'm in the minority, but Pennington looked good to me late last season, especially for a seventh-round rookie.

That's exactly what I think. You want your best players on the field as much as possible, utilized at the position that they play the best. Walker at RG is better than at RT for two reasons: He plays better on the inside at RG and also it gets Pennington on the field, whom played damn good last year and will probably only improve. Or, if Butler is back at 100% and is as good as everyone thinks, have he and Pennington fight it out at RT.

HHURRICANE
08-01-2007, 12:29 PM

I was a big fan of this idea until I heard that Terrence Pennington was getting a ton of help on the right side. That's why he was looking so good.

I'm surprised that Preston is getting all of the reps at RG. Maybe he was looking bad because of Pennington last year.

ddaryl
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm willing to let Walker stay at RT and actually see how he does for us before requesting any such transition to RG.

Preseason will tell the story.

madness
08-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I was a big fan of this idea until I heard that Terrence Pennington was getting a ton of help on the right side. That's why he was looking so good.

I'm surprised that Preston is getting all of the reps at RG. Maybe he was looking bad because of Pennington last year.

Yes, the staff directed a lot of help toward Pennington's direction. This was the main reason why Royal was ineffective in the passing game, as some would say. He spent over 2/3 of the season staying in and blocking for the line.

I think Walker will be just fine at tackle. Although a huge specimen, he fits in the mold of Peters where he's way more athletic then he looks.

Preston has been a surprise because I figured Whittle, with his experience, would pry that spot away by now. With a seemingly strong showing at camp so far, it's also going to be interesting to see where Butler fits in all of this.

madness
08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately, I found out where Butler fits in.

Butler appears to injury hamstring

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:10 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1680)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>BUTLER APPEARS TO INJURE HAMSTRING: Brad Butler just appeared to pull his hamstring on the tail end of a 1-on-1 pass rush drill. He hopped off to the sideline and is being tended to by the training staff.
--- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wys Guy
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM

McNally has no credibility left, ... at least on this team.

HHURRICANE
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM

I think I have to call you out on this one. I've seen several articles on Peters where other OL coaches have praised McNally as one of the best in the league. To take Peters from undrafted TE to starting LT is pretty impressive.

mysticsoto
08-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Why is that? B'cse for the last couple of years he hasn't been able to make a chicken salad out of chicken sh** ???

He turned a TE into a possible future LT probowler. That alone is a feat of accomplishment!

Meathead
08-02-2007, 07:36 AM
the bigger they are the harder they crush me

MikeInRoch
08-02-2007, 07:42 AM

This post has no credibility what so ever. McNally is widely considered - by other pro offensive line coaches - to be one of the best in the league. You have no idea what you are talking about.

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Lets give Walker a chance before we right the guy off. I agree the Oakland line was atroucious last year but lets hope that in the right situation Walker can be adequate.

TigerJ
08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I may be wrong here, I've been wrong before, but it seems like from what I've picked up from different threads is that one can't blame Langston's contributions for the Raiders bad o-line play, it wasn't his fault, but Dockery is good soley and 100% on his play, not by being surrounded by great lineman helping him look even better. Sorry, didn't mean to divert the message of this thread, just wanted to make an observation

Until we get to the regular season and see how the linemen all work together, I think questions will continue to be asked about Langston Walker because of the way the Oakland line struggled. Walker was "credited" with 10.5 sacks. Was it linemates? was it coaching? was it Walker's own fault? He believes it was coaching as much as anything. BTW, Dockery played next to an all-pro at LT. That could not have made him look bad. I'm optimistic that the line will be much better this year, but nobody can say that will be the case for sure.

GarnOFreak
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Sorry I didn't realize has played the entire O-line in Oakland. My bad.

Maybe thats why Oakloand was so bad last year...they only played 1 man on O-Line...so it really was Walker's fault for every bad play there....it all makes sense now....(sarcasm):crazy:

The Jokeman
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Lets give Walker a chance before we right the guy off. I agree the Oakland line was atroucious last year but lets hope that in the right situation Walker can be adequate.
But what about the years prior to last? It's not like Walker's been in the league one season. Granted last year he was first year starting but in looking at his stats in 2006 in six games and gave up 3.75 sacks. His prior year stats look a little better if account games played instead of games started but is that a true measure? Truth be told I think we over paid for Walker. Here's a link to his CNNSI predraft bio (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/99615.html)which makes me feel he's a big body who counts on it too much. Hopefully I'm wrong and he proves me wrong but based on recent history am worrisome of our scouting department in finding quality O-linemen.

I'll also admit prior to free agency I was against signing Dockery too. While I've warmed up a little to him I worry about him too as it seemed like he put it all together last season, which makes me wonder was he playing for a big pay day and now that he's gotten it will he return to his pre 2006 play?