PDA

View Full Version : Today's Camp tidbits (8/1)

don137
08-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I went to prcatice today for the third day in a row and here are some tidbits from practice today and what I have observed over three days (Mikey does a much better job doing analysis than me).
I think the coaches told JP to not throw to Evans. In fact I was wondering if Evans was held out of practice but then I finally saw him. Losman really mixed it up well to the other receivers today. Aiken looked pretty good. Scott Mayle had a terrific downfield catch in traffic. For the third practice in a row Price was basically non-existant.
Everett did nothing to impress me. In fact one play he was suppose to be the outlet receiver and was basically out of bounds before he turned around. The ball hit him in the knees and the TE coach gave him an ear full.
Dwayne Wright has not looked too good. He dropped passes, fumbled on a run and then was the kick returner and let the ball bounce and I heard Bobby April yell to him that they will talk about it later.
Perry Fewell was getting on McCargo's tail the whole practice yelling at him to be chasing the runner and not give up. On the next play I heard him yell at McCargo that he should just leave and go ride the bike. He stayed.
Losman seems to be the only QB that goes vertical. Edwards and Nall seem to be doing their best Holcomb immitation by throwing dumpoffs. Losman looked very good today. since he rarely threw to Evans today was very encouraging since he can't always rely on #83.
The left side of the OL is just dominating in running plays to the left. While the running game definitely seems to shine i am not sure if it is because the rush defense is weak, the OL is that much better or a combination of both.
Poz practiced but Dieorgio was held out. I did not remember seeing Jason Webster today either.

Michael82
08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the report. I had a doctor's appointment and missed most of practice today. I did get a few photos though and will post those. :up:

patmoran2006
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Not good to hear about McCargo.

Good report though.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the report. I had a doctor's appointment and missed most of practice today. I did get a few photos though and will post those. :up:
Mike, you ok?

Did the doctor tell you to lose weight?

Michael82
08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Mike, you ok?

Did the doctor tell you to lose weight?
I'm fine. I had my allergy shots. :ill: Plus it was hotter than hell outside and didn't really want to go to camp. But I went for a little while and got Donte Whitner to sign my football. :up:

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-02-2007, 03:13 AM
I went to camp also, my report is that it was HOT. I did hear the coach yelling at McCargo about getting the ball one time.

ibatiger
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I went to prcatice today for the third day in a row and here are some tidbits from practice today and what I have observed over three days (Mikey does a much better job doing analysis than me).
I think the coaches told JP to not throw to Evans. In fact I was wondering if Evans was held out of practice but then I finally saw him. Losman really mixed it up well to the other receivers today. Aiken looked pretty good. Scott Mayle had a terrific downfield catch in traffic. For the third practice in a row Price was basically non-existant.
Everett did nothing to impress me. In fact one play he was suppose to be the outlet receiver and was basically out of bounds before he turned around. The ball hit him in the knees and the TE coach gave him an ear full.
Dwayne Wright has not looked too good. He dropped passes, fumbled on a run and then was the kick returner and let the ball bounce and I heard Bobby April yell to him that they will talk about it later.
Perry Fewell was getting on McCargo's tail the whole practice yelling at him to be chasing the runner and not give up. On the next play I heard him yell at McCargo that he should just leave and go ride the bike. He stayed.
Losman seems to be the only QB that goes vertical. Edwards and Nall seem to be doing their best Holcomb immitation by throwing dumpoffs. Losman looked very good today. since he rarely threw to Evans today was very encouraging since he can't always rely on #83.
The left side of the OL is just dominating in running plays to the left. While the running game definitely seems to shine i am not sure if it is because the rush defense is weak, the OL is that much better or a combination of both.
Poz practiced but Dieorgio was held out. I did not remember seeing Jason Webster today either.

If you watch the highlights from the last few practices you'll see all of the QBs dumping it off quite a bit. You'll also see them going downfield (maybe not Edwards quite as much). I'd hardly call hitting a guy flying down the seam with a bullet right in the hands "holcomb" like. The fact is that if you're making the reads and hitting those passes you will rarely have the occasion to have to unload 50 yards downfield. You'll march right down the field on the defense and find yourself in the position of running it into the endzone or having 4 chances to make a short pass into the endzone. I'm sure Losman is looking for Evans a lot. Maybe if Nall were throwing to Evans he'd be doing the same thing. But don't compare Nall to Holcomb. Nall has never hesitated to heave it downfield when it was necessary and there was something there to hit. Edwards certainly looks like he is looking downfield, although he doesn't know the offense well yet. I'm sure he'd be unloading to Evans and Parish if given the chance.

don137
08-02-2007, 08:16 AM
If you watch the highlights from the last few practices you'll see all of the QBs dumping it off quite a bit. You'll also see them going downfield (maybe not Edwards quite as much). I'd hardly call hitting a guy flying down the seam with a bullet right in the hands "holcomb" like. The fact is that if you're making the reads and hitting those passes you will rarely have the occasion to have to unload 50 yards downfield. You'll march right down the field on the defense and find yourself in the position of running it into the endzone or having 4 chances to make a short pass into the endzone. I'm sure Losman is looking for Evans a lot. Maybe if Nall were throwing to Evans he'd be doing the same thing. But don't compare Nall to Holcomb. Nall has never hesitated to heave it downfield when it was necessary and there was something there to hit. Edwards certainly looks like he is looking downfield, although he doesn't know the offense well yet. I'm sure he'd be unloading to Evans and Parish if given the chance.

There is a difference between watching a few highlights and watching the actual practice. Watching the practice you see all the reps instead of just a few. Losman has consistantly mixed it up and thrown short and deep routes. Nall and Edwards throw it short at a much bigger rate than Losman. That does not mean they never throw it deep but is much more the exception. Like I said earlier Losman rarely threw to Evans yesterday but still was not afraid to throw it vertical a fair amount.

Michael82
08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
I went to camp also, my report is that it was HOT. I did hear the coach yelling at McCargo about getting the ball one time.
It was hotter than hell! I'm scared about tonight's night practice. Today could break the record.... :ill:

:sweat:

don137
08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
It was hotter than hell! I'm scared about tonight's night practice. Today could break the record.... :ill:

:sweat:

What's a little heat? It's not that bad. :beers:

Once practice starts we'll be in the shade side of the stadium.

gil
08-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the report, so is Losman looking ok on his deep throws and all that? According to Don Banks (I know, I know) he was coming up short on his throws on Monday.

Michael82
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the report, so is Losman looking ok on his deep throws and all that? According to Don Banks (I know, I know) he was coming up short on his throws on Monday.
He was horrid on Monday. But that's the only time I have seen him look bad on his long bombs. I love the way he usually airs it out. :drool:

Earthquake Enyart
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Losman's throws were high and far.

Michael82
08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Losman's throws were high and far.
yeah, really far. But not as high as Brian Moorman's punts. :D

ibatiger
08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
There is a difference between watching a few highlights and watching the actual practice. Watching the practice you see all the reps instead of just a few. Losman has consistantly mixed it up and thrown short and deep routes. Nall and Edwards throw it short at a much bigger rate than Losman. That does not mean they never throw it deep but is much more the exception. Like I said earlier Losman rarely threw to Evans yesterday but still was not afraid to throw it vertical a fair amount.

That's all fine and good, but you give Nall or even Edwards all the reps that Losman is getting with the guys he's throwing to and I would expect to see similar results with respect to who they are throwing to, etc. Certainly more long balls if they had Evans and Parish. It's just kinda hard to compare what they are doing with the difference in personel and reps. I know that Nall can throw it to anywhere on the field and has always had above average accuracy on the longer balls. He has been less accurate on the shorter stuff, but seems to be doing better now in that department. Not saying he doesn't need to be practicing on the bombs some, but you only get so many reps and you only have the personel to work with who are there when you line up. Who knows, maybe Holcomb would be doing as well and throwing the same kind of passes with the same personel and reps that Nall is getting right now. But I don't think he coud do equally as well on the occasional bomb opportunity that may present itself. In Nall, on the otherhand, I have total confidence that he would from past experience. That's the difference.

don137
08-02-2007, 09:35 AM
That's all fine and good, but you give Nall or even Edwards all the reps that Losman is getting with the guys he's throwing to and I would expect to see similar results with respect to who they are throwing to, etc. Certainly more long balls if they had Evans and Parish. It's just kinda hard to compare what they are doing with the difference in personel and reps. I know that Nall can throw it to anywhere on the field and has always had above average accuracy on the longer balls. He has been less accurate on the shorter stuff, but seems to be doing better now in that department. Not saying he doesn't need to be practicing on the bombs some, but you only get so many reps and you only have the personel to work with who are there when you line up. Who knows, maybe Holcomb would be doing as well and throwing the same kind of passes with the same personel and reps that Nall is getting right now. But I don't think he coud do equally as well on the occasional bomb opportunity that may present itself. In Nall, on the otherhand, I have total confidence that he would from past experience. That's the difference.

Problem with your statement is that right now all three are splitting the reps about equally...With JP recovering from his back injury from early in camp my guess is they do not want to over exert him.