PDA

View Full Version : Colts About To Release C.Simon

LifetimeBillsFan
08-02-2007, 06:04 AM
According to this ESPN report, Colts owner R.Irsay has said that the Colts will release Corey Simon sometime in the next few days (URL: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2957930&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines ).

What is most interesting in what Irsay said about Simon in the article was this:

'"Hopefully, we'll have something worked out with that. I think he may pursue his opportunities somewhere other than here," Irsay said. "I think we may come to an agreement in the next few days and he may pursue other places to play. I think it's better to get it resolved in the next day or two."'

The Bills had expressed interest in acquiring Simon before he went to Indy and have been reported to be closely monitoring his situation. With D.Walker now in Chicago and the Bills admitting that they were interested in adding help at DT, it would seem likely that the team would at least want to talk with Simon once he is released by Indy.

If the Bills do talk to Simon (or his agent), I still think that there would be a few things that would factor into whether the Bills would be willing and/or able to sign Simon: 1.) how the Bills coaches feel about what they have seen so far from the DTs that they have on the roster now, especially J.McCargo and T.Anderson/J.Jefferson; 2.) whether Simon would be interested in playing for the Bills or if he has another team in mind that he really want to try to sign with; 3.) the state of Simon's health--whether he would be willing to have the Bills MDs examine him before signing, whether is healthy enough to pass the Bills' physical, and whether he would be able to play enough this season, even in just in a rotation, to help the team and be worth signing; 4.) how much money Simon would want from the Bills--Simon got a huge contract from the Colts and may feel that he can still command a big salary/bonus from one of the teams that has been reported to be interested in him or he may feel that, having already gotten a big bonus from the Colts, he can afford to take less money, perhaps in a one year deal, in order to demonstrate that he is healthy enough to get back to his previous Pro Bowl form--as much as the Bills could use another talented DT, it is doubtful that they would want to tie up a lot of money in a player whose long-term health is still in question.

If Simon is healthy enough to play even 40% of the snaps this season, he could potentially be a big help to the Bills defense. The Bills have said that they were looking to shore up the position when they traded for D.Walker and were disappointed when they could not work out a deal with Walker. And, it has been reported that the Bills have continued to be interested in Simon.

With Irsay indicating that Simon may be looking to pursue other opportunities once he leave the Colts, I would say that this is a situation that bears watching and that Bills fans may want to keep an eye on over the next week or so. Simon may not want to come to Buffalo or be healthy enough for the Bills to feel that they would want to sign him, or he may want more than it would be prudent for the Bills to spend on him, but there is also a chance that he is a player who could end up in a Bills uni and help the team shore up perhaps its weakest position.

X-Era
08-02-2007, 06:26 AM
According to this ESPN report, Colts owner R.Irsay has said that the Colts will release Corey Simon sometime in the next few days (URL: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2957930&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines ).

What is most interesting in what Irsay said about Simon in the article was this:

'"Hopefully, we'll have something worked out with that. I think he may pursue his opportunities somewhere other than here," Irsay said. "I think we may come to an agreement in the next few days and he may pursue other places to play. I think it's better to get it resolved in the next day or two."'

The Bills had expressed interest in acquiring Simon before he went to Indy and have been reported to be closely monitoring his situation. With D.Walker now in Chicago and the Bills admitting that they were interested in adding help at DT, it would seem likely that the team would at least want to talk with Simon once he is released by Indy.

If the Bills do talk to Simon (or his agent), I still think that there would be a few things that would factor into whether the Bills would be willing and/or able to sign Simon: 1.) how the Bills coaches feel about what they have seen so far from the DTs that they have on the roster now, especially J.McCargo and T.Anderson/J.Jefferson; 2.) whether Simon would be interested in playing for the Bills or if he has another team in mind that he really want to try to sign with; 3.) the state of Simon's health--whether he would be willing to have the Bills MDs examine him before signing, whether is healthy enough to pass the Bills' physical, and whether he would be able to play enough this season, even in just in a rotation, to help the team and be worth signing; 4.) how much money Simon would want from the Bills--Simon got a huge contract from the Colts and may feel that he can still command a big salary/bonus from one of the teams that has been reported to be interested in him or he may feel that, having already gotten a big bonus from the Colts, he can afford to take less money, perhaps in a one year deal, in order to demonstrate that he is healthy enough to get back to his previous Pro Bowl form--as much as the Bills could use another talented DT, it is doubtful that they would want to tie up a lot of money in a player whose long-term health is still in question.

If Simon is healthy enough to play even 40% of the snaps this season, he could potentially be a big help to the Bills defense. The Bills have said that they were looking to shore up the position when they traded for D.Walker and were disappointed when they could not work out a deal with Walker. And, it has been reported that the Bills have continued to be interested in Simon.

With Irsay indicating that Simon may be looking to pursue other opportunities once he leave the Colts, I would say that this is a situation that bears watching and that Bills fans may want to keep an eye on over the next week or so. Simon may not want to come to Buffalo or be healthy enough for the Bills to feel that they would want to sign him, or he may want more than it would be prudent for the Bills to spend on him, but there is also a chance that he is a player who could end up in a Bills uni and help the team shore up perhaps its weakest position.

You stole my thunder.

I really hope the Bills go at it strong and get him. Corey Simon at 50% is better than Tim Anderson at 300%.

Get-er-done Marv!

Don't Panic
08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
This would be a great pickup, assuming #3 checks out (health). I can't see us feeling like we're set a position we were weak at while Walker was still here. The money is there to do it, the need is there... makes perfect sense.

Mitchy moo
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
May Simon be OP's pieman.

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
It sounds like Simon is a basket case. Sad thing is he has to be an upgrade over Anderson.

Tatonka
08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
basket case?? how so??

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2007, 08:24 AM
basket case?? how so??
Everything I have read it seems like there is some mysterious problem with himi that can't be confirmed. Is he injured? Does he have Mental problems? That is what I am talking about.

bigbub2352
08-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Simon needs to be healthy if he is, he is who made larry triplett expandable, if he is not healthy we will not be worth signing at all, plus he better not want probowl money, he hasnt played well in 2 years, i would not mind throwing him a incentive based contract, 2 year max, but if healthy would provide depth and experiance at the postion, and would spell the end for at least Jason jefferson, and hopefully useless Timmy

OpIv37
08-02-2007, 08:35 AM
if healthy he could be a huge boost to our D.

Even unhealthy, he's probably still better than Anderson as long as he's capable of taking the field.

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Even unhealthy, he's probably still better than Anderson as long as he's capable of taking the field.

Since you and I are better than Anderson, that much is true.

If he can pass a physical and does not want big money, sign him. At this time, he might be a league minimum guy.

Michael82
08-02-2007, 08:56 AM

You could wheel him out in a ****ing wheelchair and he'd still be better than that POS, Tim Anderson. :snicker:

ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up about this one. There's obviously a problem and it's not the Indianapolis Colts. He failed the Colts' physical:

Team president Bill Polian said he was still waiting to hear if Simon passed the team physical. A few minutes later, coach Tony Dungy said Simon had failed the medical tests. Later in the afternoon, Simon's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, said he also had learned Simon had failed the physical.
"It's unexpected. Corey's in great shape," Barnes told The Associated Press. "He's ready to play. He's been ready to play. It's a mystery to me why he didn't pass the physical. When he talked to them Friday, they told him to pack enough clothes to stay until Sunday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2954703

My guess is there's an internal illness, but I can't tell for sure.

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up about this one. There's obviously a problem and it's not the Indianapolis Colts. He failed the Colts' physical:

Team president Bill Polian said he was still waiting to hear if Simon passed the team physical. A few minutes later, coach Tony Dungy said Simon had failed the medical tests. Later in the afternoon, Simon's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, said he also had learned Simon had failed the physical.
"It's unexpected. Corey's in great shape," Barnes told The Associated Press. "He's ready to play. He's been ready to play. It's a mystery to me why he didn't pass the physical. When he talked to them Friday, they told him to pack enough clothes to stay until Sunday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2954703

My guess is there's an internal illness, but I can't tell for sure.
See what I am saying Tatonka. Something just isnt right here.

raphael120
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
sooo...how is this better than Darwin Walker?

mikemac2001
08-02-2007, 11:22 AM
sooo...how is this better than Darwin Walker?

simon + 5th rd > walker

JJamezz
08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Wasn't it made public last year that he has some kind of multiple-joint arthritis? Why is it now being referred to as a 'mystery illness'?

Night Train
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Shiny Name Syndrome " I've heard of him ! "

HE HASN'T PLAYED IN OVER A YEAR ! HELLO McFLY ! ( knock,knock ) .

patmoran2006
08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
a shame this guy cant get healthy.

When he was healthy, he was a top 5 DT in this league.

I know the Bills are in great cap shape, but I dont know how they stand in regards to "cash to cap".

ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Wasn't it made public last year that he has some kind of multiple-joint arthritis? Why is it now being referred to as a 'mystery illness'?

You're right....I completely forgot about that. I wonder why they didn't mention that in these articles.