PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Bills

crusse10
08-03-2007, 12:36 AM
What is it?
I'm trying to make a 32 team signature set, and I'm going forum to forum asking this question. What is it that makes your team tick? Is it a hallowed coach? An immortalized player? A landmark? What is it?
I need as many ideas as I can get, then I'll set up a poll (if I have the ability to do so). Please, PLEASE give me some ideas.

As an idea, I'm a very big packers fan. Ideas for such could be Curly Lambeau, the Frozen Tundra, Vince Lombardi, Brett Favre, etc. In that instance, I would probably mix the Tundra with Lombardi, but you get the point.

So, in conclusion, please help me. When I post the final set, I will give due to each board that assisted me.

Thanks, and I hope to see a bunch of ideas!

OpIv37
08-03-2007, 08:15 AM
The comeback game- 41-38 over the Oilers
The early 90's teams: Marv Levy, Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, House Ballard, Will Wolford.

73,000 fans who show up even in the most brutal weather conditions.

Dr. Lecter
08-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Ralph Wilson has to be on the list too.

G. Host
08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Marv Levy, Steve Tasker and Don Beebe - wisdom, soul and heart.

PECKERWOOD
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
OJ Simpson.. Wait a second don't put that one on there!

madness
08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Ralph Wilson Stadium - 50ft under, open side brings the swirling winds, Wall of Fame, section named after the original Rockpile (War Memorial Stadium).

Fan Base - Loyal, loves blue collar football, 12th man (on the Wall of Fame)

Ralph, Marv, comeback game, 4 SBs, Kelly, Bruce, Thurman

Meathead
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
oh come on

for a long time it was the juice. that sorta evaporated when he killed two people. took the wind outta the thing

now its clearly jimbo. no other one thing represents the bills more than him. well maybe ralph but thats sorta cliche since hes the owner. jim was a player and as far as the bills go a living legend

for the sake of avoiding hero worship lets remember hes a bit of a short fused primadona but still a relatively likeable guy who loves buffalo and the bills

he gets my vote

the comeback game and four straight get honorable mention

mikemac2001
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Rob Johnson

Earthquake Enyart
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Dennis Shaw and Mini Max Anderson

blackonyx89
08-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Rob Riddick and Jerry Butler. Too bad their careers were shortened.

Yasgur's Farm
08-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Jim Kelly hands down.

Yasgur's Farm
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Dennis Shaw and Mini Max AndersonYou forgot Terry Miller and Perry Tuttle.

The funny thing is...

Dennis Shaw was ROY in '70... He even beat out Terry Bradshaw.
Terry Miller was top 10 RB in '78 gaining 1060 yards on the ground with a 4.5 average.

blackonyx89
08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
How can we not mention Doug Flutie!?! This guy was heart all the way!!! He gave us the last bit of excitement around here. He should've started that playoff game against Tennessee!!!

The last buffalo fan
08-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Ralph Wilson Stadium - 50ft under, open side brings the swirling winds, Wall of Fame, section named after the original Rockpile (War Memorial Stadium).

Fan Base - Loyal, loves blue collar football, 12th man (on the Wall of Fame)

Ralph, Marv, comeback game, 4 SBs, Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and Reed

Wys Guy
08-04-2007, 11:46 AM
"No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!"

Of course these days you have to ignore the fact that most of our wagons are in the shop, decrepit, on blocks, or otherwise non-functional.

HHURRICANE
08-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Bruce Smith.

As good as Kelly, Thurman and Reed were I actually believe that Bruce Smith was the best player to ever put on the uniform. The guy would get trippled team. Teams had to figure out ways to minimize his impact. When he announced that he was better than Lawrence Taylor he actually went to NY and proved it (unfortunately we lost the Superbowl to them that year).

He is the all-time sack leader. Some will argue about Reggie White and LT being better but he's in the same league.

There are plenty of QBs, RBs and WRs better than Kelly, Thurman and Reed. Would they make a top 10 all-time? Doubtful.

How about Bruce? For sure.

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Mike Stratton
Jack Kemp
Tom Sestak
George Saimes
Booker Edgerson
Elbert Dubenion
Cookie Gilchrist
Robert James
Shane Nelson
Jim Haslett
Fred Smerlas
Darryl Talley

venis2k1
08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-06/0620gaffe_lett.jpg

X-Era
08-04-2007, 03:37 PM
What is it?
I'm trying to make a 32 team signature set, and I'm going forum to forum asking this question. What is it that makes your team tick? Is it a hallowed coach? An immortalized player? A landmark? What is it?
I need as many ideas as I can get, then I'll set up a poll (if I have the ability to do so). Please, PLEASE give me some ideas.

As an idea, I'm a very big packers fan. Ideas for such could be Curly Lambeau, the Frozen Tundra, Vince Lombardi, Brett Favre, etc. In that instance, I would probably mix the Tundra with Lombardi, but you get the point.

So, in conclusion, please help me. When I post the final set, I will give due to each board that assisted me.

Thanks, and I hope to see a bunch of ideas!

I can only speak about our greatest years.

To me it was the ability to score in a second on ANY team at ANY time. That was something that hasnt been repeated IMO. The Colts are close, but we scored much quicker than even them in our day.

Maybe it goes a bit deeper. The Bills are the ultimate under-dog. They are the little team that could. At least back in the day. Greatest comeback in NFL history, only team to go to 4 straight SB's.

Thats it, thats the legacy. Blue collar team, ultimate under-dog

shelby
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
The 12th man, absolutely.

Ingtar33
08-05-2007, 04:25 AM

second

kgun12
08-05-2007, 04:36 AM
How can we not mention Doug Flutie!?! This guy was heart all the way!!! He gave us the last bit of excitement around here. He should've started that playoff game against Tennessee!!!

I think most of us were trying to forget!!! :puke:

kgun12
08-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Mike Stratton
Jack Kemp
Tom Sestak
George Saimes
Booker Edgerson
Elbert Dubenion
Cookie Gilchrist
Robert James
Shane Nelson
Jim Haslett
Fred Smerlas
Darryl Talley

All good stuff!

Historian
08-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Robert James
Billy Shaw
Darryl Talley
Ed Rutkowski
Fred Smerlas
Jim Kelly
Tom Sestak
Bob Chandler

Special heads up to:
Bob Kalsu

They left it all on the field, man.

The best part about our players, is that many of them became part of the community they represented. Most of them never even heard of Buffalo before they were drafted.

Many of them stayed to raise their families here.

They "got" it.

Cntrygal
08-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Great Pic!!!!

"No matter how bad - never give up".