PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 that have stood out in TC

mysticsoto
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
One week in, four have stood out at Bills camp

Lee Evans (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/one_week_in_four_have_stood_ou_1.html#), WR - After an 82-catch, 1,292-yard season in 2006, it's hard to believe the 26-year-old seems poised to get even better in his fourth NFL campaign. So far, however, that's exactly what Evans is on his way to doing. During the first week of camp the former University of Wisconsin star, who probably should have been a Pro Bowler last year and was the Bills' only true offensive weapon, has grabbed everything thrown his way from Losman and the rest of the quarterbacks and, frankly, has dominated the team's defensive backs. If Evans -- who made some great grabs during Buffalo's practice last night -- continues progressing during the season, the 5-foot-10, 197-pound speedster will be on his way to plenty of notoriety around the league, which he doesn't receive enough of.

Roscoe Parrish, WR - Other than Evans, the Bills didn't have any wideouts who stepped up last year and emerged as true threats. With Buffalo's No. 1 receiver sure to receive more attention from opposing defenses this season, it's paramount that one of its other WRs becomes a viable option for Losman. If camp is any indication, that player is going to be third-year man Roscoe Parrish, who caught 23 passes in '06. Although very small in stature at 5-9, 171 pounds, Parrish possesses a great deal of explosiveness, which is a much-envied, unteachable trait. The 25-year-old, a 2005 second-round pick from the University of Miami, can pick up big yardage on any play, which he demonstrated last season with an unbelievable punt return for a touchdown in the Bills' late-November win over Jacksonville and two lengthy scoring grabs (a 51-yard catch and gallop against the Jets in Week 3 and a 44-yarder in a Week 6 loss to Detroit). Should Parrish actually break out this year and become, say, a poor man's version of Carolina's Steve Smith (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/one_week_in_four_have_stood_ou_1.html#), Buffalo's already promising offense will get one more big-time weapon.

Keith Ellison, LB - A sixth-round pick in the 2006 draft, many were surprised to see Ellison make the Bills' Opening-Day roster last year. However, he performed admirably as a pro freshman, accumulating 65 tackles in 14 games. In his second camp, the 23-year-old is showing why he was a star at Oregon State. Ellison, who has gained seven pounds since the end of last year to get to 230, was penciled in as the Bills' weakside linebacker after veteran Takeo Spikes (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/one_week_in_four_have_stood_ou_1.html#) was traded in March, and the summer interception machine will become a household name soon if his strong play carries into the season.
"I'll tell you this, he was a consistent guy last year. He just went out and did his job, and that's what he's doing again this year," Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell told the Buffalo News.

Ellison's doing his job, for sure. This time, though, he's doing it a lot better.

Jason Webster, CB - Webster has missed the last couple of practices because of a hamstring injury, but the 5-9, 187-pounder was blowing away his cornerback competition prior to that. People tend to forget that Webster, whom Buffalo signed in late May in a low-risk, high-reward situation, was once a highly sought-after defensive back. The eighth-year man intercepted seven passes in four seasons and excelled in coverage with the <a href="http://niners.realfootball365.com/" class="articlelinks"><acronym title="San Francisco 49ers News">San Francisco 49ers</acronym> , then was given a big contract in 2004 by the <a href="http://falcons.realfootball365.com/" class="articlelinks"><acronym title="Atlanta Falcons News">Atlanta Falcons</acronym> , with whom he fared poorly. Three years after cashing in, the 29-year-old is playing with a chip on his shoulder for the Bills and may end up softening the blow of losing No. 1 CB Nate Clements (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/one_week_in_four_have_stood_ou_1.html#) in free agency.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/one_week_in_four_have_stood_ou_1.html

Scumbag College
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Good find.

I'm excited about Ellison this year, I really think he's a playmaker and he always seemed around the ball last year when he was in. If Parrish can step up, that offense is going to be damn good when they go 3 or 4 WRs.

madness
08-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I have no doubts about Ellison's ability to play in this league. This defense will be exciting to watch when playing at a high level. Built on speed, we should see a lot of gang tackles and increased opportunity for turnovers. Camp reports are promising since you keep hearing of deflected passes turning into interceptions.

It will be interesting to see how this defense will stand up against being bullied now that our LB's actually fit the scheme. I can't emphasize enough how McCargo/Williams progress and Webster's health could make or break this defense.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Thank goodness!

OpIv37
08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
I have no doubts about Ellison's ability to play in this league. This defense will be exciting to watch when playing at a high level. Built on speed, we should see a lot of gang tackles and increased opportunity for turnovers. Camp reports are promising since you keep hearing of deflected passes turning into interceptions.

It will be interesting to see how this defense will stand up against being bullied now that our LB's actually fit the scheme. I can't emphasize enough how McCargo/Williams progress and Webster's health could make or break this defense.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Thank goodness!

the problem with camp: it's us against... us. While it's encouraging that the D is tipping balls, it's discouraging that Losman is getting balls tipped.

Dr. Lecter
08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
the problem with camp: it's us against... us. While it's encouraging that the D is tipping balls, it's discouraging that Losman is getting balls tipped.

I knew this would be your response.........

OpIv37
08-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I knew this would be your response.........

and.... it's a valid point. Every time the D makes a play, it means the offense did something wrong- or vice versa. So how do we know if it's a result of a good play or a bad play?

Pinkerton Security
08-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I simply CANNOT wait til the preseason and some guy tries to cut over the middle and Ellison lays his *** out!!!! GO BILLS!

mysticsoto
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
and.... it's a valid point. Every time the D makes a play, it means the offense did something wrong- or vice versa. So how do we know if it's a result of a good play or a bad play?

Well here's a positive spin on the issue that won't sit well with you b'cse you don't like positives but...I think this is more the D making plays b'cse:

a) Losman does not throw many interceptions - I base this on his past years here

b) the D's pass defense was pretty good last year too (it's the run D that we are weak at)

c) it shows that Ellison has good hands for intercepting the balls!!!

justasportsfan
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I wouldn`t put any stock into what was said. That article was blowing smoke up our arse like you say. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I wouldn`t put any stock into what was said. That article was blowing smoke up our arse like you say. :rolleyes:

this post has no content and has nothing to do with football or the topic at hand. If you have a problem with something I said about football, say so and we'll discuss it. But I'm not getting into another drawn out argument about your attitude vs. my attitude.

Oaf
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Every play in training camp IS a catch-22. When the O makes a play, you yell at the D, when the D picks one off, you yell at the O.
The best you can possibly hope for is a 50-50 split.

ParanoidAndroid
08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Every play in training camp IS a catch-22. When the O makes a play, you yell at the D, when the D picks one off, you yell at the O.

I think there are more variables to it than that. Consider what would be a good pass from Losman getting tipped because someone made a nice play on it. Imagine Losman selling a really good pump fake to free someone up deep and the CB gets burnt. Good plays make the difference. It doesn't necessarily mean the opposing 11 guys made a bad play.

justasportsfan
08-03-2007, 11:30 PM
this post has no content and has nothing to do with football or the topic at hand. If you have a problem with something I said about football, say so and we'll discuss it. But I'm not getting into another drawn out argument about your attitude vs. my attitude.
when someone talks about what was said by a coach and player, you tell us they are blowing smoke up our arse. That you can read into what they say. Problem now is, every time someone says something we have to check ain with you as to who's lying and who isn't. It isn't about you vs. me. It's you vs. the players and coaches.

OpIv37
08-04-2007, 12:25 AM
when someone talks about what was said by a coach and player, you tell us they are blowing smoke up our arse. That you can read into what they say. Problem now is, every time someone says something we have to check ain with you as to who's lying and who isn't. It isn't about you vs. me. It's you vs. the players and coaches.
:rolleyes:

more reading comprehension issues.

I said when a coach or player says something about another player to the media, you have to take it with a grain of salt because they have ulterior motives and will NEVER bad-mouth a teammate to the media, except in rare cases where the team is totally dysfunctional.

But go ahead- you go right on believing what people say to the media- if it's on the web, it must be true!

Do you know who writes for realfootball365? Do you know if they have any more credibility than you or me or anyone else on the Internet? Oh wait, I forgot- that's making distinctions and you're incapable of that. If one internet reporter is credible, they ALL must be credible! It's just someone's opinion- take it for what it's worth.

FlyingDutchman
08-04-2007, 12:39 AM

Um isnt that how it is for every single team in the league?

FlyingDutchman
08-04-2007, 12:41 AM

Eactly. Did this really have to be explained to you OP?

Oaf
08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I think there are more variables to it than that. Consider what would be a good pass from Losman getting tipped because someone made a nice play on it. Imagine Losman selling a really good pump fake to free someone up deep and the CB gets burnt. Good plays make the difference. It doesn't necessarily mean the opposing 11 guys made a bad play.
You make a solid point Andy, and then you also see coaches asking for better ball placement for JP and better awareness from the DBs on the next play.

The last buffalo fan
08-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry Mystic, that this thread took the wrong spin................ as usual.

HHURRICANE
08-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Ellsion played well last year so this isn't shocking.

Ellison-Crowell-Poz is what everyone was expecting. If DiGorigio turns into some good depth than I'd be somewhat encouraged by our LB corps.

I was never super worried about our secondary. Simpson, Whitner and Webster should all upgrade their games this year.

However the DL is an achylles heal and I'm trying to figure out why people just keep blowing it off. We were horrible last year and haven't done a thing to improve it. Maybe Hargrove gets a whole camp under his belt so that's the entire psoitive for 2007. Scary.

OpIv37
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Um isnt that how it is for every single team in the league?

Of course- I never said it wasn't. My point is that it simply makes it more difficult to evaluate who's playing good or bad in camp when we're competing against ourselves. I never said it only applied to the Bills.

chubluv
08-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I've been to 4 practices and the top 4 players who have stood out to me are:

1 Lee Evans
2 Roscoe Parrish
3 Poz
4 Fred Jackson

mysticsoto
08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry Mystic, that this thread took the wrong spin................ as usual.

People keep Op'ping on my threads... :sadwalk:

justasportsfan
08-04-2007, 11:44 PM
:rolleyes:

more reading comprehension issues.

I said when a coach or player says something about another player to the media, you have to take it with a grain of salt because they have ulterior motives and will NEVER bad-mouth a teammate to the media, except in rare cases where the team is totally dysfunctional.

But go ahead- you go right on believing what people say to the media- if it's on the web, it must be true!

Do you know who writes for realfootball365? Do you know if they have any more credibility than you or me or anyone else on the Internet? Oh wait, I forgot- that's making distinctions and you're incapable of that. If one internet reporter is credible, they ALL must be credible! It's just someone's opinion- take it for what it's worth.
Haha! No ,As a matter of FACT you always insist that you can read between the lines . When JP praises Reed you say 'what's he suppose to say he sucks? ". Puhlease. You pretty much call them liars. Now you're starting to backpedal.

I was the one who said several times that I take what is said w/ a grain of salt and say "wait and see" but you always accuse me of being a homer. :rolleyes:

So tell us, what have you read bewtween Mystics report.

Realfootball is more credible than you. Even Chris Brown , mystic, myself and everyone that's been to camp. But no, JP blows smoke up our arse and Chris Brown only reports what he's told to report as far as you're concerned. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
08-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Haha! No ,As a matter of FACT you always insist that you can read between the lines . When JP praises Reed you say 'what's he suppose to say he sucks? ". Puhlease. You pretty much call them liars. Now you're starting to backpedal.

I was the one who said several times that I take what is said w/ a grain of salt and say "wait and see" but you always accuse me of being a homer. :rolleyes:

So tell us, what have you read bewtween Mystics report.

Realfootball is more credible than you. Even Chris Brown , mystic, myself and everyone that's been to camp. But no, JP blows smoke up our arse and Chris Brown only reports what he's told to report as far as you're concerned. :rolleyes:

Chris Brown does only report what he's told- that's why he still has that job. If you can't see that, you're naive and idealistic.

evol4276
08-05-2007, 04:10 AM
i really want roscoe to turn out as a better-used offensive weapon. he's been my fav bill prolly for the 2 years. plus i always root for the smaller guys haha im not too big myself :-P

kgun12
08-05-2007, 04:25 AM
I went to camp Friday and I was impressed by:

Melvin Fowler, hustled during warm ups, hustled during every rep during drills and hustled on every play from scrimmage! We talked to his parents after practice, very nice folks! I told them how impressed I was with the way he hustled all practice and both the mom and dad said almost at the same time, "he better or I will go out there a kick his butt"!

Dwayne Wright, looked very strong to me!

Fred Jackson working very hard, run over Leonhard during one running play!

I wasn't impressed at all by:

Trent Edwards, his footwork looked very slow, his ball was slow to the receiver and his reads were slow (I can understand this part being a rookie)

Kevin Everett, had the knee tapped up pretty good and had a pretty noticeable limp! Also wasn't impressed with his work ethic, looked like he was just going through the motions!

I'm going again Monday I will watch these guys again.