PDA

View Full Version : This article will make you not like Adams...

Romes
03-19-2003, 07:48 PM
http://titans.theinsiders.com/2/51676.html

This is from an article last offseason. Yet, it resonates towards this offseason too. Read for yourself.

Then there are those like defensive tackle Sam Adams, whose work ethic is sub-standard, setting a poor example for young players. Yet, he expects the big money to tumble into his lap. Adams was cut by the Ravens early in the offseason, and is refusing to sign unless given a break-the-bank deal.

Here's what former Ravens teammate Lional Dalton (also a defensive tackle) said about Adams: "Sam's good on Sunday. He's one of the best on Sunday. During the week, he might not give you his all, but you can always count on him to perform Sunday ... I think Sam's going wherever they're going to pay him the most. He's near the end of his career, and he's trying to stack up his money."

Adams is currently coaching a semipro team he owns, and has been pursued by several desperate teams. One team interested is the Redskins, who smartly aren't offering big money. Washington's defensive coordinator is Marvin Lewis, who was with Adams in Baltimore.

Said Adams, "I'll play for Marvin. Marvin is a very good coach. (But) I don't want to take a pay cut after going to two Pro Bowls and winning a Super Bowl for him. Marvin got a raise. Why shouldn't I? (Maybe because Lewis works -- all the time).

"I'm not waiting on (the Ravens). I'm not waiting on any team. I'm just waiting for a team to pay me what I'm worth. Every team that has come to me has wanted to sign me for a bargain. That's not going to happen."

And he's serious, concluding, "If no one offers to pay me what I'm worth, I guess I'll be sitting here coaching my team. But it's not going to come to that point. [You sure about that?] I know I'm going to play. I'm ready to play for someone and help someone who's capable of winning a championship. When I do find a team, I hope the teams that have disrespected me are on the schedule."

hmmm...no comment necessary, i think this article speaks for itself

ArcticWildMan
03-19-2003, 07:51 PM
:hail: TD

Stewie
03-19-2003, 07:54 PM
THE BUFFALO BILLS

shelby
03-19-2003, 07:58 PM
holy :angry:

Billz_fan
03-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Well.............

I see both angles really. Sam is sounding much like a bussiness man.

You have to remember that these guys are asked (by us mostly) to show loyalty to there team and the game.

When there career is winding down though or they enter into the later part of a contract that pays them large amounts of money they then become expendable and loyalty by the team (certainly) and the fan base (high percentage) goes out the window.

They have an undetermined amount of time to make all they can cus when it's over, it's definatly over and loyalty is severed by all.

Romes
03-19-2003, 08:20 PM
I agree Billz_Fan but the article struck me on 2 points.

1) Adams really doesn't know his own value. He overrates himself compared to how every other team views him.

2) If the guy is willing to stop playing now to do his own thing. Why is he still looking for that "bank breaking deal"?

Billz_fan
03-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Romes
I agree Billz_Fan but the article struck me on 2 points.

1) Adams really doesn't know his own value. He overrates himself compared to how every other team views him.

2) If the guy is willing to stop playing now to do his own thing. Why is he still looking for that "bank breaking deal"?

Good points,

I agree he doesn't know his value, His agent has to know though. Must be Sam doesn't pay attention to his agent other than telling him what to do :D

#2) Sort of the I'll take my ball and go home thing if I can't get what I want. At his point it reverts back to him not knowing his own value. With the stats he has posted last year etc. The game itself won't suffer terribly.

Billsouth
03-19-2003, 08:38 PM
he sees that average to above average DT's that can stuff the run are valuable and necessary in this league. he also sees that there are gms like john butler who routinely overpay for free agents. for those who disagree look at our cap situation under butler (whose biggest FA pick up in buf was bryce paup) and that he paid TIM DWIGHT 15 million.

lordofgun
03-19-2003, 08:40 PM
I never liked Adams anyway. :tongue:

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
:hail: TD
:afro: WORD :afro: