PDA

View Full Version : From MMQB

dolphan117
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- On the artificial-turf football field at St. John Fisher College (as picturesque a campus as you'll see on the training-camp circuit), the Bills precocious young left tackle, Jason Peters, is working on defending pass-rush moves with assistant line coach Pete Kugler. I'd describe Peters as a bulked-up power forward with the feet of a small forward. He's a former tight end from Arkansas who made the switch to tackle with the Bills, and he's on the verge on being one of the best offensive linemen in football. Kugler is rolling off Peters, getting punched and pushed away by the tackle, and trying to be a nuisance, all in the name of teaching Peters moves in defending his quarterback from pass-rushers.
"It's harder than it looks,'' Peters says later. "You've got to have at least three good pass sets, and you've got to mix it up so the defensive end can't get a book on you. All these little things, they're what you have to do well if you want to be a great player.''

5. I think the three most impressive backs I saw in the last week, in order, have been Jamal Lewis, Cleveland; Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo; and Kolby Smith, Kansas City. That's right, Kolby Smith. You wonder why you don't hear the panicked bleatings of Chiefs worried about Larry Johnson's holdout? Here's why: running backs are among the most replaceable quantities on the NFL landscape. The 5-foot-11, 219-pound fifth-round back from Louisville played in Michael Bush's shadow for much of his college career, and the Chiefs saw enough last year (5.6 yards per carry, quickness around the corner) to think he'd be a good backup for Johnson and Michael Bennett. I do think Johnson will play, and I think he'll report by Labor Day, but if he doesn't, I don't think the Chiefs will have a rushing famine.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/05/camp.impressions/index.html

shelby
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Thank you....much appreciated!

G. Host
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
:clap: - added to BillsZone front page. Thanks.

EDS
08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
So does everyone like King now?

John Doe
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
That was an interesting comment about Jamal Lewis. It really makes one question the ability of the Ravens' line last season (and this one).

Bling
08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Anytime you go up against the Cleveland's DLine instead Baltimore's DLine, you will look impressive compared to your previous form. Cleveland's DLine sucks, and it definitely only helps Lewis to look "impressive".

dolphan117
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
So does everyone like King now?I always have. Its not that he is always right but he has very good contacts and as such passes on some very good information from time to time.

I've never thought he had a massive ego either which is a definant plus.

Goobylal
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the link, dophan117. One NFL guy said a few years ago that the reason there aren't many great TE's in the NFL, is because they're all playing power forward for the NBA. Interesting that King compares Peters, a former TE, to a "bulked-up" power forward.

And King got it wrong; it's SEAN Kugler. I don't know if you bolded it because of the mistake or just because it was mentioning a Buffalo Bill player/coach.

BlackMetalNinja
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
also from cnn/si: Shirley King himself with Jim Kelly

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0708/peter.king.trip.nfl/images/king2.jpg

BlackMetalNinja
08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
and Jason Peters

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0708/peter.king.trip.nfl/images/king6.jpg

G. Host
08-07-2007, 10:29 AM
And King got it wrong; it's SEAN Kugler. I don't know if you bolded it because of the mistake or just because it was mentioning a Buffalo Bill player/coach.

Original article had it bolded and he copied/pasted it.