PDA

View Full Version : Flash Forward: Travis Henry's game plan 9/9/2007

RedEyE
08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
http://faalessons.workforceconnect.org/rawmedia_repository/61670c15_0e7d_48eb_8eb9_f35bfa5becae

In a nutshell, there is much to worry about with this Bills defensive line. More and more everyday McCargo is living up to his name. And by that I don't mean the reputation he developed in college, but more of a living metaphor for what the Bills payroll will be carrying on their shoulders when they end up dumping the bum. It can be simplified by saying that if McDonalds had to name a sandwich after him, he'd be the McCrap and can only be found at the bottom of a 10 day old Sad Meal. This guy is going to be a let down. And in return, the Buffalo Bills will surely suffer at the quick feet of running backs around the league again this season.

To add insult to another one of McCargo's injuries, it appears that Hargrove could face a suspension. In fact, with the recent drudgings around the league I think it's safe to say that it's more likely to happen than not. That certainly opens holes for the ex Bill Henry come opening day.

It's certainly hard to get excited about a defense that has less talent on the line this year than last....and we absolutely realize the results from that wet paper sack.

And if that's not enough to burst your pre season bubble, think about how that will ultimately effect Whitner's play. Whitner = box. Juaron might as well slap a 70, 80, or 90 number on the poor kid, becasue his new position will be the DL. His time at safety will generally be only to shoe tackle receivers as they torch the inexperienced and undertalented corners in the defense.

It's unfortunate too, because I think this Bills team is only a DT away from a playoff birth.

With money in the bank, 08' draft picks a plenty, and a massive help wanted sign in the defensive line window, I don't think Levy has much choice but to start looking at trades. Time is running out.

OpIv37
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
wow, that makes me look like the eternal optimist. but you make a good point.

RedEyE
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I think the Bills front office has got to start gambling on players outside of the draft as well. Tank Johnson might have had some issues, but he's certainly going to pay for his mistakes. You can't argue with the fact that Tank is damn good at what he does on the football field. You can only argue that his time spent off the field has been unwise. But he's young, and might learn from those mistakes.

Granted if the Bills run out and sign this guy he doesn't play a full season, but McCargo isn't even gonig to give this team a full game. He's lazy and injury prone. I think it's time to move forward on the position and stop waiting for the "young" guys that have been on this line 3+ season to "step up". It isn't going to happen.

Tank gives them the best opportunity and the Bills can afford to give it to him.

ParanoidAndroid
08-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Good stuff....but I don't think the situation is quite so dire. In 2005, we had the worst red zone defense in the league. Last year, we jumped up to 20th. However, we MUST get better in the turnover ratio department. If we can continue getting better at keeping teams out of the endzone and creating turnovers, we'll get a few more wins, especially if the offense lives up to its expected improvements. We'll be looking to improve the D-line, but I doubt that there will be any huge hurry unless someone that could help us gets cut. The market is not good for DT's right now, so I see the FO being patient and waiting to grab someone in the offseason via FA or draft.

Night Train
08-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I predicted the Bills were still 1 draft year away ( DL ) from making a serious playoff push.

Yet even I wait until the first pre-season game before playing taps for 2007.

mchurchfie
08-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I don't like this small but quick defensive line crap.:cynic: The only thing they will be quick about is to get to the huge guard or tackle so they can get mauled and overpowered. Just look at Schoebel, he is a wonderful passrusher but he gets his lunch handed to him on the run. Usually he takes himself out of the play...and he is our best d-lineman.

G. Host
08-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Schoebel is our equivalant of Dwight Freeney except he is decent tackling on the run as well.

Pinkerton Security
08-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I think it's time to move forward on the position and stop waiting for the "young" guys that have been on this line 3+ season to "step up". It isn't going to happen.

While I agree with most of your points, which DT has "been on this line 3+ seasons"? Tim Anderson?

Williams, Triplett, McCargo have all been here for only 1 year.

Tatonka
08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
i think williams is going to be a damn good player.. and tripplet is also solid.. if mccargo just stays healthy, i am confident that we will be fine.

how many teams have 4 studs at DT?

madness
08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Schoebel is our equivalant of Dwight Freeney except he is decent tackling on the run as well.

“I think you can have both, really,” he said. “I think you can rush the quarterback, defend the pass, and defend the run at the same time. It’s just a matter of everybody knowing their jobs and where they are supposed to be. Also, we're going to ask if Dwight Freeney can maybe just reach his arm out and try to grab the shirt of the running back while he's running by, you know, since we gave him a $72 million contract and all.”

I loved this part about the Chiefs and Ravens "******ed" gameplan in the playoffs last year...

"The Colts run defense did improve in the postseason when they faced the Chiefs, Ravens, and Patriots. However, many around the league, including the Colts’ own coaching staff, believes that was merely a product of unimaginative game planning by the opposition.
“Our run defense did improve statistically during the post season, but I don’t think we should get too excited by that,” said head coach Tony Dungy. “The fact is, the Chiefs had a horrible game plan and were either throwing incompletions or running head first into groups of defenders the whole game. Same thing with the Ravens. In a way, I think they were just trying to soften us up for this season. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway, because I can’t think of any other reasons for those ******ed game plans.”

http://thebrushback.com/tackling_full.htm

RedEyE
08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
how many teams have 4 studs at DT?

That's a great point. But how many good defenses have at least one?

RedEyE
08-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Good stuff....but I don't think the situation is quite so dire. In 2005, we had the worst red zone defense in the league. Last year, we jumped up to 20th. However, we MUST get better in the turnover ratio department. If we can continue getting better at keeping teams out of the endzone and creating turnovers, we'll get a few more wins, especially if the offense lives up to its expected improvements. We'll be looking to improve the D-line, but I doubt that there will be any huge hurry unless someone that could help us gets cut. The market is not good for DT's right now, so I see the FO being patient and waiting to grab someone in the offseason via FA or draft.

I don't think it needs to be so "dire". Which is why I think the Bills are just one decent run stuffer away from making a run. The problem is that without him, things are significantly worse.

Not stopping the run will ultimately effect the pass defense. The Bills have proven this the last 2-3 years.

RedEyE
08-07-2007, 09:31 AM
While I agree with most of your points, which DT has "been on this line 3+ seasons"? Tim Anderson?

Williams, Triplett, McCargo have all been here for only 1 year.

I see your point and perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

Little Timmy - oooph. Triplett is NOT a run stuffer, but more of an inside pass rusher, and Williams is just a babe in the woods.

justasportsfan
08-07-2007, 09:32 AM
It's HEnry's first game with the new team. He won't do squat.

You heard it here first.

SB here we come!!!

The Spaz
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
You forgot to put Paul Posluzny in the middle of that diagram to plug the hole.