PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins' linebacker Joey Porter has third arthroscopic knee surgery

The Spaz
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
New Miami Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter underwent arthroscopic knee surgery for the third time in two years on Tuesday.

The surgery was performed by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., after Porter went there for a second opinion. The Dolphins had not yet received a report on what repairs were made.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-dolphins-porter&prov=ap&type=lgns

OpIv37
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most arthroscopic knee surgeries have brief recovery times?

The Spaz
08-07-2007, 11:41 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most arthroscopic knee surgeries have brief recovery times?

I don't think I posted it to say it was something major.:idunno:

OpIv37
08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I didn't say you did- I'm just trying to figure out if it's a big deal for the Fins or not. It says he's expected to miss 2 weeks and may miss all the pre-season games. If that's the case, he may suffer a little because of the missed practice/conditioning, but 2-3 weeks into the season, it won't even be noticable.

LtFinFan66
08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
2-3 weeks is the word I have heard

Stewie
08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
20 million well spent...

btw what kind of quack doctors are down in miami? first they say drew brees isn't healthy (he was).. then they say daunte culpepper is healthy (he wasn't)... now they gave the green light to sign an aging, injured linebacker to a huge deal?

!Papacrunk!
08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I didn't say you did- I'm just trying to figure out if it's a big deal for the Fins or not. It says he's expected to miss 2 weeks and may miss all the pre-season games. If that's the case, he may suffer a little because of the missed practice/conditioning, but 2-3 weeks into the season, it won't even be noticable.

yes sir, you are correct, especially since the Dolphins play the 3-4. If I was to be very negative I could ponder what his knee's future is, but if all it is is simple arthoscopic surgery then no big deal.

ParanoidAndroid
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Multiple arthroscopic surgeries can be a problem, though. It usually means there is internal scarring from past trauma and tissue growth is not normal. It could involve simply removing the newly grown tissue and smoothing out surfaces, (what some like to call "scraping it out) but that leaves protective cartilage thin and more vulnerable to further trauma. This is the most likely scenario and it has a short recovery time. Cortizone injections will keep pain and swelling under control while he plays on the vulnerable knee. More surgery and some actual rest and rehab might be required after a gruelling NFL season. Sometimes tissue is taken from another part and added to an area where cartilage is too thin. The latter requires lengthy rehab time to allow the new tissue to "root" and grow.

justasportsfan
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I heard he recieved flowers and a get well soon card from Levi Jones.

Tatonka
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
he probably hurt his knee jumping people in dark alleys with all his boyz.

jamze132
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Arthroscopic surgury isn't too big of a deal, but having it done multiple times can be a problem. He should be back on the field in roughyly 15-20 days and full contact in about a month.