PDA

View Full Version : New OL debut tonight

patmoran2006
08-10-2007, 07:26 AM
NEW ORLEANS — The Buffalo Bills are taking their revamped offensive line out for a test drive tonight.

In their nationally televised preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome, the Bills hope the new-look line shows signs of becoming a smooth-running engine that ignites their offense this year.

“It’s the preseason, but it’s still a chance to go out and show what you’ve got,” said guard Duke Preston. “We have an O-line with some new guys in here, so it will be a good chance for us to get out and see how we stack up against some other teams.”

The Bills’ line has been less than stellar the past several years, which is why they spent more than $74 million in free agent contracts for guards Derrick Dockery and Jason Whittle and tackle Langston Walker.

The team is counting on the new additions upgrading the front five by providing better protection for quarterback J.P. Losman and blasting open holes for the running backs.

“I haven’t been here, but I know that the offensive line has been an issue here,” said Dockery, who received a franchise-record $49 million deal. “Myself, Langston and Jason were brought in here to help improve that position. But it’s going to take all five guys to get it done, and it starts [tonight].” MORE (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/138025.html)

M
08-10-2007, 07:43 AM
I love this line by Dockery ...

“Everything starts with the guys up front,” he said. “We have to come together. Our goal is to be physical, nasty and play with intensity. We might not always be perfect, but when you have five guys who are going to scrap, watch out.”

madness
08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
No excuses tonight, Will Smith won't be playing.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2007, 08:40 AM
With Dockery and Walker joining left tackle Jason Peters and center Melvin Fowler in the starting lineup, the only undecided position is right guard. Whittle and Preston are the leading candidates for the job. Brad Butler was in the mix, but his lingering hamstring injury has created a two-man race.
Whittle and Preston alternated with the first-team offense throughout training camp.
“It’s shaping up pretty good,” offensive line coach Jim McNally said of the right guard battle. “They are getting reps there and we’ve got enough plays in practice that one of them is next to Langston Walker a lot. We still don’t know who the guy is yet. We want to go into a full-fledged game before we make a decision.”