• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Fox Sports Rankings: Secondaries

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

23. Buffalo (2006 Rank: 20)
    As another famous sports columnist might say, going from Nate Clements to Jason Webster as your starting cornerback is like going from Shannon Tweed to Rosie O'Donnell. Or, perhaps he would say it was like going from The Sopranos to John from Cincinnati. Actually, he might say it was like going from Kevin Durant to Yi Jianlian. Seriously, I've got a million of these. It's a really, really bad move. In Atlanta, Webster finished 79th out of 81 cornerbacks in Success Rate. The starter that Clements left behind, Terrence McGee, was 73rd. The Bills better hope that Ashton Youboty can play more than two games in his second season, and that he's better than Webster and McGee. The Bills are better off at safety. Everybody criticized the choice of Donte Whitner when the Bills took him in the top ten of the 2006 draft, but he was very good as a rookie. Fourth-rounder Ko Simpson also started and was reasonable.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Fox Sports Rankings: Secondaries

Ouch.

I dont know what the hell goes into their formula for "success rate"- I'll have to investigage, but that sure doesn't sound good.

Based on their formula, we have the 2nd and 9th worst CB's in the league starting opposite each other.

Comment

LOL

This oughtta put a stick into the hornet's nest.

Reality doesn't typically bode well here, regardless of from whence it originates.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
        LOL

This oughtta put a stick into the hornet's nest.

Reality doesn't typically bode well here, regardless of from whence it originates.
        We have seen you reject it numerous times.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

I am interested to see how Webster can do if he stays healthy.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            I'll admit I've been a tad bit on the homer'ish side lately as I should be; A lot of good young players on this team. But when it comes to CB talk that has to end.

It's time to be real. Our cornerbacks blow. They could possibly be the worst collective unit in the entire NFL.

Not only do we not have a legit #1 corner on this team, one could arguably rather sensibly that we have a collection of a bunch of #3 and 4's on this team.

A massive year rushing the passer from our front four is critical, because if QB's get time they are going to tear our corners apart. Put it this way, Terrence McGee is often called "Toast McGee" on here and other places; and he's our number ONE corner.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

BTW.

I love when my boss is on vacation.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I read somewhere that part of the problem with Webster is that he was not a good fit in Atlanta because of the scheme they played and he should do well in Buffalo just like he did in San Fran because of the scheme. I can't say it is true or not true. Just saying what I read somewhere. From what I saw in camp he looked good.

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by don137
                  I read somewhere that part of the problem with Webster is that he was not a good fit in Atlanta because of the scheme they played and he should do well in Buffalo just like he did in San Fran because of the scheme. I can't say it is true or not true. Just saying what I read somewhere. From what I saw in camp he looked good.
                  Very true...as long as he can stay healthy. I wouldn't put too much into Fox Sports rankings. Afterall, it is Fox Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    I'll really step out here and suggest that he'll play just as he has for ..., oh, about 7 seasons in the NFL now and given that he'll be 30 this season and unlikely to change much.

I realize that there's little substantiation for such a view in your mind, but hey, call me nuts.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by don137
                      Perhaps, but for how many players brought in and outta here over the last decade have we heard the same things about. Zone blocking v. non-zone blocking; 4-3 v. 3-4, this scheme or that scheme.

Whatever. For those intellectually honest Webster's skills as a CB are limited. Ergo, it stands entirely to reason, except to some people, AHEM, not mentioned, that his play will match his skillset, particularly given our extremely dicey (at present) front-7.

To think anything else is baseless at the moment.

[break/pause; awaiting Lechter's non-substantive retort w/o any factual basis whatsoever]

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

A fat guy in a wheelchair can play corner in a cover 2.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Actually it if you look at his career, he was a solid CB when with the 49ers. He sucked in Atlanta and has numerous injuries. The chances of his success are not great, but if he avoids injury he can be a solid, but not great, CB in this scheme that places less of an emphasis on the CB position.

CB will likely be hole #1 for this team next year, with DT a close 2nd.

Do you have your W/L prediction up on your site yet?

Comment

• carybillsfan
                            • Aug 2003

Funny, for what it's worth, I kind of like John from Cincinnati, it's unpredictable so maybe the move to Webster won't be so bad.

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

well better hope our safties and coverage LBs are going to be picking up the slack or we're screwed.

Comment

Working...
                              X